Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV road trip around Great Lakes

We are beginning to plan a trip around/through the Great Lakes for sometime summer 2020. We’ll be starting from New England. Interested to hear other’s stories, advice about what not to miss and what to avoid (like roads that aren’t RV friendly).

Thanks!
Susan and Kent
KentSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Site Team

That sounds like a wonderful vacation plan. Here is a web page with just that trip. Clearly, their motorhome has wings (as does the Eagle5); that clearly is how they took this photo.
Be sure to take some pictures of your own to post back here.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 02-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

K/S... I lived in Ephriam and Fish Creek in Door County. Tho' beautiful, it can get like the Cape in Summer. A favorite drive for me would be US 41 from Sault St Marie to Copper Harbor ...US 2 then to Bayfield, with plenty of side-offs. You will have a great time. I miss the North Country.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Born and raised east of Cleveland.
There aren’t too many RV parks really close to Cleveland but there is a KOA out in Madison/Thompson (I grew up in Madison) that is likely as close as you will get to the city. It’s about 5 miles off of I-90 at the 212 exit of Ohio. There are about 20 wineries out that way and most have tasting rooms. Lake Erie is at the other end of Madison if you drive North of Rt-528
You probably don’t want to miss the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the city.
The Broadway shows all come into Cleveland if you’re into that, but it also depends on whether there is a show.
From there you would move out towards Sandusky (moving West) which, if you are a coaster fan, Cedar Point should not be missed. Also out there are the “islands”; Kelly’s Island, South Bass Island, and a few other smaller ones. There are a couple ferries that will take you out to the islands. South Bass has the Perry Memorial (Commander Perry). Other than that bars, bikes and golf carts.
We went up to Mackinac Island this past summer which we got to from the UP of Michigan. We also visited the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in the Detroit area on the way up there. We bailed South heading out of Michigan at that point but stopped on the West coast of Lake Michigan to the “dunes” on the Michigan/ Indiana border. You could see Chicago across the lake.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentSuz View Post
We are beginning to plan a trip around/through the Great Lakes for sometime summer 2020. We’ll be starting from New England. Interested to hear other’s stories, advice about what not to miss and what to avoid (like roads that aren’t RV friendly).

Thanks!
Susan and Kent
on the 'gotta see' list...Aune Osborne RV Park in Sault Sainte Marie, MI. it's situated on the St. Mary's River which links Lakes Superior & Huron. from most sites you'll watch huge lake freighters move to and from the Soo Locks. reservations a must!

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You might try Higgins Lake State Park either the north or south. Absolutely beautiful lake with nice camp spots. You'll need reservation soon though.
George56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #7
Site Team

I’ve heard rave reviews of the area in Canada on the Lake Erie shore above Ohio. It’s kind of overlooked.

Last fall we spent 3-days at Geneva on the Lake, just east of Cleveland at the State Park there. It was nice but we were there in Oct and the town was all closed up for the season.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’ve heard rave reviews of the area in Canada on the Lake Erie shore above Ohio. It’s kind of overlooked.
Last fall we spent 3-days at Geneva on the Lake, just east of Cleveland at the State Park there. It was nice but we were there in Oct and the town was all closed up for the season.
LOL, I grew up in Madison, the next town to the west, and I was 18 before knowing that GOTL even existed. My parents did a good job of shielding us from it because in the 80's they used to sweep up the eyeballs at the end of the night from all the fights. Biker bars were everywhere. It's really been cleaned up since.

Eddie's Grill (It's a DQ) and Madsen's Donuts are 2 of the "favorite" locations. It's almost an area holiday the day Madsen's opens now. (I've never had them as I'm not a huge donut fan). The Lodge at the state park didn't exist until a couple years ago and the camping wasn't always the greatest down there but you're pretty close to the lake. I grew up 3 blocks from the lake so have always loved the area.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I live in west Michigan and have a cabin in northern lower Michigan. Great spots in northern lower would be Traverse city, sleeping bear sand dunes, Petoskey for camping, food and all outdoor activities like water sports, hiking and lots of paved and unpaved bike trails. The two peninsulas near Traverse City are full of great views, wineries and craft beer breweries. A scenic road is 119 from Petoskey to the bridge. A nice day trip could be over to Mackinac Island for the day. The upper peninsula (aka the UP) is special all over, but pictured rocks and Keweenaw Peninsula are nice. We really like the city of Marquette for lots of activities and a nice downtown. You might check out the website Pure Michigan for some other good ideas.
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Read the book “Stuck in Manistique” then stay at Indian Lake State Park. Go on up to Hancock and stay in their City Park while visiting Calumet National Park. Go another 45 miles North and stay at Fort Wilkins in Copper Harbor. I’d recommend hitting the UP in mid August as the bugs are largely gone by then
CGLAKE is offline   Reply With Quote