Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
that ramp is where i launch my boat, and although its wet (obviously) it should have been a successful launch, not too steep,

i'm wondering if he had to dip his rear tires too deep AND at the same time had an overloaded pin weight which left his front tires/brakes too ineffective to prevent what happened,
they didn't have enough weight on them anymore

i saw a video once where something like that happened and the guy was quick enough to fire the boat up and drive it back onto the sinking trailer and try to push the whole rig back up
that effort also didn't work
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

This one will be dried out and sold to an unsuspecting RV'r ...just like the midwest flooded cars are now hitting the market. You can bet it will happen.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

IT'S JUST THE LOCAL CARPOOL

<span class="ev_code_GREY">(credit to a poster in another forum but too good not to repeat)</span>

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Well, at least no one was hurt.

Several years ago my father-in-law picked me up on the way to the lake to launch his new boat. I was dozing as we zipped along US 65 headed to Branson area. On one of the long down hill runs I was jolted back to reality when I heard my father-in-law say "Darn, there goes my boat." He was right....the trailer and boat passed us on the hill and proceeded into one of the rock bluffs. Boat and trailer totally destroyed, father-in-law totally embarrassed, me... totally amused (but I hid it well).
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

RICH & ZARA: You are right about the flood cars. My son owns a large body shop. He has a standing order from private dealers for flood cars, also from insurance companies wanting to move them. He doesn't like that end of the business, but it is too lucrative to turn down. I ask him if he would buy one for himself or his daughters. He said no, but he has never had a complaint to date from any one.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

SCVjeff:

That was bad...funny, but bad.

We were just down there this past weekend. I think that there are services that for $20-$30 will launch and recover your boat for you if you can't or don't want to launch it with your MH.

I still am sympathetic as I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

and that was saltwater. I would not back my motorhome into saltwater for any reason.

36' Cougar 5th wheel
rkerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Might be a "fluster" factor somewhere in this story, like hitting the gas instead of the brake pedal? Very sad.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rkerber:
and that was saltwater. I would not back my motorhome into saltwater for any reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think I'd add fresh water to the list too..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:43 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steelhead_bluesman:
Might be a "fluster" factor somewhere in this story, like hitting the gas instead of the brake pedal? Very sad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I watched the video and read the new story and it seemed to imply that the driver bailed out without putting it in park or setting the brake.

A tragic event no matter what the cause.

Simply turning the wheel to the left and jacknifing the rig may have prevented it from going so far in and could have allowed them to pull it back out under their own power.

I agree with Joe McKenzie to a degree. A 4X4 pickup is a much better choice at the boat ramp. My old W200 E20 Power Wagon 4X4 was much better at the boat ramp than any 2 wheel driver be it a pickup, van or passenger car.

Tires also contribute. Some of the long wearing tires they put on the rigs today are made from compounds that are too hard and just not as sticky as they need to be when wet.

My father was quite well versed on that topic after 47 years as an electrical and process engineer in the rubber industry.