Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Route issues along I-40 to Utah

I am heading out next week from Illinois to Utah on a National Parks tour. We will be traveling on I-40 with our first destination at Monument Valley. Can anyone provide any issues or concerns based on recent travels to the Utah parks or any route or road condition concerns traveling I-40 from St. Louis to Arizona. Also any recommendations for preferred roads from I-40 up to Monument Valley. Thanks
Old 09-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Much depends on personal preferences but we just cam e back from an I-40 trip and might suggest a couple favorites as adding a bit of travel but very interesting ( For us!).

We found travel traffic to be very light as compared to former trips with far fewer trucks on the road.

Road construction? Yes, always and always more needed!

For suggestions on route, if you want a bit more sightseeing, we favor going the bit more to Flagstaff and Sunset Crater as it is "new" as volcanos go, being about 900 years since last blowup!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The lower amount of traffic is always a good thing, although I basically park in the right lane at 60 mph and let everyone else pass me. Rarely catch up to the vehicle directly in front of you going 60. Probably will be turning North before getting to Flagstaff since we already have a reserved campsite at Monument Valley.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree1 View Post
The lower amount of traffic is always a good thing, although I basically park in the right lane at 60 mph and let everyone else pass me. Rarely catch up to the vehicle directly in front of you going 60. Probably will be turning North before getting to Flagstaff since we already have a reserved campsite at Monument Valley.
Good deal on knowing what "retired" actually allows us to do! The problem I have is that even the right lane gets too slow when I get into the mountains and behind the big trucks!

If no big plans yet, perhaps look over wandering over to Page, Az and Wahweap campground on Lake Powell as a way to get a look at how the water is going in the West and that puts you near Antilope Canyon for a different/nicer view of the desert is you take one of the tours out of Page??
Then swing South on HWY 89 to check Horseshoe Bend as a nice overlook of the river and Sunset Crater just before hitting Sunset Crater and Flagstaff and 40 to turn back home?

Sorry, just too many fun things to look over once started!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes we will be traveling that way after leaving Monument Valley and heading over to Zion NP. Will definitely stop at a few of those places along the way. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree1 View Post
I am heading out next week from Illinois to Utah on a National Parks tour. We will be traveling on I-40 with our first destination at Monument Valley. Can anyone provide any issues or concerns based on recent travels to the Utah parks or any route or road condition concerns traveling I-40 from St. Louis to Arizona. Also any recommendations for preferred roads from I-40 up to Monument Valley. Thanks
This past June we traveled to the Utah "Big 5" plus north rim of the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and Mesa Verde.

Traveling on I-40 east and west from Memphis, the highways are pretty good (except for the inevitable construction). After visiting the Utah parks starting from Las Vegas, NV, we came east from Monument Valley on US 160 to Durango, CO., then US 550 south from Durango, CO to Albuquerque, NM.

I'd watch out for the side winds when on the flatlands as they can be brutal. We ran into "wind warnings" that caused us to change our route once. You might also want to check ahead to make sure of park openings/closings and other issues. The NPS has a neat app that can help.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

OK. I-40 doesn't go anywhere near St Louis! Unless you are dropping down I-55 to Memphis to catch it?
jimkamery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We just got back from Phoenix, via I-40, and had no problems. A little road work, but not bad. Try to see Cedar City, UT. It is close to Zion. We stayed at Iron Springs RV Resort. It was very quiet, a little outside of town, and one of the nicest RV parks where we have stayed.
AZ Okies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We left Central Illinois on Labor Day traveling west through St Louis on I44 to I40 arriving at Sedona, AZ 9/12/21. The road conditions on I44 and I40 are great with smooth and repaved road most of the way with little construction. Traffic isn't heavy with mostly trucks. Speed limit is 75mph. I was mostly going 63-64mph most of the way. You will be climbing most of the way from 600ft above sea level in Illinois to 6500ft in Albuquerque so don't expect good gas mileage. Be aware unopened chip bags from Illinois may burst and let out some air if you have a Number Bed air mattress before your climb to higher altitude. For some reasons half of the rest areas were closed. Safe travels!
SimonSKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Since you have a compact rig, Flagstaff to Grand Canyon, then to Sedona via AZ 89A. Great drive, great views, and Sedona worth a 3 night stay.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkamery View Post
OK. I-40 doesn't go anywhere near St Louis! Unless you are dropping down I-55 to Memphis to catch it?
Yep, and it doesn't go anywhere near Utah either. But, if the OP is just wondering its logistics in terms of basic condition, truck use, grades and what not, and it will be the artery he's using to get across country, then it will work fine. A few zillion trucks but, it will work.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote