Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-30-2020, 10:01 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I'll pick up chains. I know how to put them on, have had practice before.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

"LOL": Best to check with your accountant to see if you can write off the trip. I presume you will be working on-line while traveling, so the RV becomes your office, with concomitant write-offs. The Sycamore Grove Campground in Red Bluff is a good alternative to the Redding RV resorts for saving a lot of money if you are stuck waiting for a storm to pass. Good cellular reception, and unlikely to flood if the creek rises.

You will hear various responses regarding using chains on your small RV. Avoid driving on ice has been my plan. The real driving problem with places like western Oregon and far northern California is not the deep snow, but thin, quickly freezing ice that can suddenly appear without warning. When you see the melt-freeze cycle start, be extra careful.
MarvinFickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:46 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I feel part of the question has to involve what previous experience you might have. Still being a "new guy " to the local area, I can certainly tell there is a world of difference in folks who grow up with winter and what we see locally!
Also what you know about mountains and the way it changes driving and weather is going to get involved. Do you think of weather only as being something that gets colder as you go North or does your thinking involve the huge difference in elevation when speaking of winter?
More experience with driving on snow covered or slick roads will let you take a bit more risk on what the weather may do but if you are a full time local Texas guy with little to no snow driving experience, I recommend not trying to go any route other than getting West of the mountains before heading North. December in crossing the Rockies is totally different then we find in the winter here!
The trip up and back in three weeks is close to killer in my book and running into a situation where you need to swing way out of the way or lay up for a few days to let the weather pass is not any idea I recommend.
Another question is how well prepped the RV is for real winter and how well prepped do you feel on keeping things from freezing? Just locating campsites can become a real challenge after September when folks begin to call the season over.
Copy and paste:
December
Reno's coldest month is December when the average temperature overnight is 20.7°F.
I concur w/Morich 100%. 50+ Years driving Oregon interstates and backroads in all seasons is my cred to say Oregon's stretch of I-84 is no place for relatively inexperienced drivers during snow events of any type vehicle. From the time you enter Oregon in the East you stand the real threat of winter storms. The interstate often closes at Ladd Canyon. The stretch from La Grande through the Blue Mountains, while beautiful, is treacherous all the way to Pendleton. The road closes at Meacham as frequently as Ladd Canyon, and the 7 mile, 2000' decent at 6% downgrade, full of very challenging curves will prove to be a puckering, white knuckle ride in snow. Bear in mind, snow is bad enough even for experienced drivers, but ice is deadly.
Stick to the I-10 Southern route to L.A., then tough it out North on I-5, go West on I-80 then north on US 101. However you go, have a safe trip.
mwk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:14 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

If headed north on CA hwy5, can take hwy97 out of Weed CA to hwy 58 then Eugene. Alt route for semi's when Siskiyou Pass is closed. Lower elevation route. Big wildfire right now (Holiday Fire), east of Eugene,near hwy 58.

If headed west to coast hwy101, hwy 299 out of Redding or hwy 3 out of Yreka CA are beautiful, windy, single lane w hills and possible snow. Cut back from 101 to hwy5 then Portland on hwy 22,out of Lincoln City to Salem OR, lowest elevation W to E route.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:31 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see anyone mentioning the need for, and inconvenience of being winterised. Maybe it was just assumed, but it looks to me that you're going to need to protect your plumbing, and suffer w/o the use of your toilet and the shower in all of this. Even if you miss the snow, the seasonal temps will be there in all the areas you'll travel, and just driving through a cold zone would be enough.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:18 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Just arrived in Willamette Valley (Oregon) from CO. Took Scenic Byway Hwy 50 to Austin NV then 305 to Battle Mountain, then 80 to Winnemucca , then 95 to 140 to Lakeview OR , then 31 to 97, then hwy20 to Albany. Highway(s) in good condition, very little traffic, lots of RV's. Lots of wildfire smoke entire route especially in Oregon.

Route would be suicidal in December. Saw lots of different ecosystems and wildlife inc. wild horse herd and cattle roaming the highway. Moderate amount of "no frills" RV parks and rest stops.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:22 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Oregon Hwy 22 closed Sisters to Salem due to wildfires.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Oregon HWY 22 closed Bend to Salem due to wild fires, maybe mud slides in Dec.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:29 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Northern Route Update

Just returned HWY84 Portland OR to Morgan UT, HWY80 to Larimie, WY, HWY287 to Ft. Collins, CO, HWY25 to Pueblo CO).

Was lucky, had unusual west wind for 2 days of traveling eastbound on hwy 84/80. Was unlucky, 60 mph west wind gusts closed hwy80 eastbound at Rawlins WY to light trailers and hi profile vehicles for 1 day.

Road maintenance - installing guard rails on HWY84 was reduced to 1 lane in either direction between Mecham, OR and Ontario OR. Also one lane between Rawlins and Rock Springs WY.

Lots of wildfire smoke entire route, airborne ash covered RV during the night in WY rest stop. Colorado experiencing state's largest wildfire west of Ft. Collins.

HWY 25 south&north bound Denver to Colorado Springs undergoing major hwy widening limited to 2 narrow lanes in either direction with heavy construction equipment and numerous repair people present. Heavy traffic. Project to remain active during winter months.

FYI - Oregon hwy58 and hwy 20, both near wildfires were open with right-of-way advisory for emergency vehicles.

HWY10 to HWY5 is looking better!
Old 11-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

I-10 to I-5 is not a good choice. For starters there are few places to stop along the way on I-5 going through California unless you stay at hotels. Second is that it is two lanes in each direction and the big rigs with their trailers tie up the slow lane which results in people in cars and trucks speeding up the slow lane and then diving into the fast lane in front of other drivers.

I cannot see why you are driving 4400 miles during a 21 day period to visit people in Oregon. At an average speed of 65 mph that is 10 days of driving and 10 days with your daughter. At this time a roundtrip ticket from Austin to Portland costs $201 per person as compared to the fuel alone costing over $1400 and then there is the wear and tear on the RV and its occupants.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote