Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Road Trip Suggestions?

Greetins All!

We are almost all packed and ready to go on a trip...it's just we don't know where we are going! We were originally going to check out Wallowa, OR...but I am unsure if we will be able to make it considering the snow and all.

We are open to other adventures and looking for any last minute suggestions as far as where to go. We are leaving tomorrow morning for somewhere...Help!!

We will be starting from Milwaukie, OR which is near Portland and have about a week's worth of time.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Sasqtch
Sasqtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Geez, IDK, but I think I’d head south and stay close to the coast to avoid snow. There ar so many places along the coast to stay. Do you have any campground apps?

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...tate-park-6598
Old 01-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi Sasquatch,
I would head-out west on 30 to Astoria, then north on the 101 to Long Beach. Sadly, our Clamming is closed now, because of high Domoic Acid levels. Still, a fun place to visit. Then, I would head back southbound on 101, visiting as much coastline as you like. Always explore the 101 going southbound, as it accommodates pulling-off at the various scenic viewpoints. Cut-back over and come home on northbound I-5 when you run out of time!
Have fun, Eagle5
Old 01-01-2021, 10:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Geez, IDK, but I think I’d head south and stay close to the coast to avoid snow. There ar so many places along the coast to stay. Do you have any campground apps?

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...tate-park-6598
Hello Wyatt, thanks for the thoughts! Both you and E5 rec. the coast line, we may indeed go that direction. We did pick up a Garmin...the RV780. It has some features that are supposed to give us some campground info. We plan on checking it out on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Sasquatch,
I would head-out west on 30 to Astoria, then north on the 101 to Long Beach. Sadly, our Clamming is closed now, because of high Domoic Acid levels. Still, a fun place to visit. Then, I would head back southbound on 101, visiting as much coastline as you like. Always explore the 101 going southbound, as it accommodates pulling-off at the various scenic viewpoints. Cut-back over and come home on northbound I-5 when you run out of time!
Have fun, Eagle5
Whatup E5, thank you for the ideas. I like the tip to utilize a southbound direction! We may just do what you have suggested. We were originally planning on going to Wallowa, OR. There are multiple areas of that drive that have received 12+ inches of snow. We really want to get up there...BUT...this is also our maiden voyage.

BTW, do you have a suggestion for a set of snow chains? I would like a pair of outside-wheel only chains.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Sasqtch
Old 01-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Hi Sasquatch,
I bought a pair of cable chains from NAPA a couple of years ago for my F-350 truck. They cost me $100, and I have never used them. They are a "just in case" item, when crossing the mountain pass. I actually purchased them because my son was borrowing the truck at the time, and he thought he might be required to have them.
Yes, a Garmin GPS is a great item to have. You guys will have fun!
I did just look at the toxin levels for the clams at Long Beach, and they are dropping. You just might be able to do a little razor clamming, if you like.
Eagle5.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info E5. So we made it to the coast. WOW is it stormy here. There was one part where we were going through the Nehalem bay area and the wind was so strong I was turning the steering wheel to the right just to go straight!! We are now sitting at an RV site in Garibaldi. We decided to NOT put out our slider as the winds are so strong. We connected the power and are just 'chillaxin'. I don't think we will venturing down to the beach...perhaps tomorrow if the storms calm down.
Sasqtch
Old 01-02-2021, 06:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Hi Sasquatch,
I just spoke with my nephew who is staying at our family beach cabin on Long Beach, and it is windy indeed! The forecast is for up to 40mph until 9pm tonight. Garibaldi has the same forecast. Tomorrow should be just fine. I guess you have to expect this kind of weather in January, right? You guys have fun and enjoy.
Eagle5
Old 01-04-2021, 09:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Update!
We are currently staying near Newport...it is super beautiful right now. The winds have calmed down and we enjoyed a nice winter sunset.

We visited a very nice little beach at Pacific city and saw that giant iconic rock/mountain.

The waves have been the largest I have seen here on the coast...just awesome!
We stayed at a KOA last night just outside of Lincoln city. It was nicely protected from the coastal weather. The grounds had a nice little store where the KOA lady checked me in, and they even had a restaurant (we didn't try it...we made pizza in our oven!)

I accidentally left the back hatch open while we were checking out pacific city...we only made it a few blocks until a few young boys flagged us down. After locking it up we headed down back out to 101. It wasn't until I went to drain the black/grey tanks at the KOA that I realized our sewer hose-box had fallen out the back!! "Rats!" I thought...after double checking the storage spaces for the box...I remembered the previous owner's tube in the rear bumper! Boo-ya! I was a little bummed about my brand new 2x10ft Camco with the clear window, but I was relieved to have the one in the bumper...that is....until I unpleasantly discovered a decent 2-inch crack in the tube!! I had a literal Oh CRAP-moment!! I held the pipe best I could ignoring the obvious disturbing everything-that-was-happening. I was able to completely stop the leak by holding the pipes together...but it was a rather interesting position to be in. It was raining and my family was inside the coach...and I had pulled the little black handle...both hands were "tied" to the pipe. It was a neat little dance to get the boli moving. Well there you have your daily dose of TMI.

Thankfully, I packed a good old roll of duct-tape and will do the surgical repair if necessary. I'm hoping we will roll by a store before that is necessary.

We are sitting with an amazing view of the coast. It should be a windier night as we are fairly exposed.

Sasqtch

Right now were are
Old 01-04-2021, 10:15 PM   #9
Site Team

Hi Sasquatch,
Winter waves on the beach are impressive, to be sure. I do believe some folks prefer to visit the Pacific beaches in the winter just for that reason.
I love to make pizza in the Eagle5, but I do use two round pizza stones to do it (a 15" above, an air gap, and a 12" below that.)
Absolute bummer about the loss of your sewer drain pipe & elbow. This is what I use now, and it works well for me:
Camco 20' (39742) RhinoFLEX 20-Foot RV Sewer Hose Kit
Camco 20 Ft (43051) Sidewinder RV Sewer Hose Support
I have included my departure checklist below; perhaps you could modify it to match your particulars?
Thanks, Eagle5

Pitstop Checklist for the 22M:

Pick-up dog water
Shut-off Hot Water Heater
Close vents and windows
Secure loose items

Break-camp Checklist for the 22M; do the above, and also:

Shut-off Coach A/C or Coach Heater
Switch-on fresh water pump
Retract awning
Stow Welcome Mat
Glove-up
Stow TV cable, fresh water hose, & power cord
Open Black Water tank valve, connect flushing hose & start flushing
Check slide-out for debris
Close Black Water tank valve and back-fill for 60 seconds
Open Grey Water tank valve
Stow flushing hose
Close Grey Water tank valve
Stow sewer hose & sewer hose support
Toss gloves
Lock outside compartments
Add deodorizer to toilet
Lock Shower Door & close bathroom door
Assure that the Closet Doors are closed
Start Main Motor (be sure parking brake is set)
Retract slide-out (press button twice)
Old 01-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Sasqtch, got a chuckle out of the sewer hose incident. Reminds me over when we had a 5th wheel and when setting up the sewer connection was about a foot under the slide out. My back was hurting and I asked the wife to bend over and connect the line. I told her to just take the black cap off and hook up the sewer line. (you know what is coming, right) Yep! She took that black cap off and a couple gallons of "GREY" water came gushing out. Glad it wasn't the black.

To this day she will not get near a sewer line!! Wonder why.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Sasquatch,
Winter waves on the beach are impressive, to be sure. I do believe some folks prefer to visit the Pacific beaches in the winter just for that reason.
I love to make pizza in the Eagle5, but I do use two round pizza stones to do it (a 15" above, an air gap, and a 12" below that.)
Absolute bummer about the loss of your sewer drain pipe & elbow. This is what I use now, and it works well for me:
Camco 20' (39742) RhinoFLEX 20-Foot RV Sewer Hose Kit
Camco 20 Ft (43051) Sidewinder RV Sewer Hose Support
I have included my departure checklist below; perhaps you could modify it to match your particulars?
Thanks, Eagle5

Pitstop Checklist for the 22M:

Pick-up dog water
Shut-off Hot Water Heater
Close vents and windows
Secure loose items

Break-camp Checklist for the 22M; do the above, and also:

Shut-off Coach A/C or Coach Heater
Switch-on fresh water pump
Retract awning
Stow Welcome Mat
Glove-up
Stow TV cable, fresh water hose, & power cord
Open Black Water tank valve, connect flushing hose & start flushing
Check slide-out for debris
Close Black Water tank valve and back-fill for 60 seconds
Open Grey Water tank valve
Stow flushing hose
Close Grey Water tank valve
Stow sewer hose & sewer hose support
Toss gloves
Lock outside compartments
Add deodorizer to toilet
Lock Shower Door & close bathroom door
Assure that the Closet Doors are closed
Start Main Motor (be sure parking brake is set)
Retract slide-out (press button twice)

Thanks E5! This is great, always good to get an Engineer's list!! I left the hatch open when we were visiting the beach and getting our boots out...but I still will appreciate looking over this list and formulating our own. thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Sasqtch, got a chuckle out of the sewer hose incident. Reminds me over when we had a 5th wheel and when setting up the sewer connection was about a foot under the slide out. My back was hurting and I asked the wife to bend over and connect the line. I told her to just take the black cap off and hook up the sewer line. (you know what is coming, right) Yep! She took that black cap off and a couple gallons of "GREY" water came gushing out. Glad it wasn't the black.

To this day she will not get near a sewer line!! Wonder why.
Wyane, that is funny as well. I told my wife that she can do the sewer stuff from now on and guess what she said? She said, "Well...might as well put it on craigs list cause it 'aint happening!" HAHAHAHAHA Too funny.

Later guys