Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Took my Vectra on my first long highway run yesterday from Clearwater to Clermont and the coach handled and performed flawlessly. That is untill we reached Lakewood and white smoke became visible in the backup camera. On attempting to pull over it became apparent that the brakes were no longer functional. At this point we could now smell the smoke and it wasn't antifreeze. Rode the gears down and got it stopped on the washboards and that is when the flames started comming out from the sides of the coach. Go the wife, two children, cat and dog evacuated in record time. Emptied the fire extinguisher on the flames hoping to slow things down and give the fire dept a bit more time to arrive and ran pausing to turn off the propane when passing by it. We watched the fire department take a wrong turn and get lost and while they were getting back on track the flames picked up again. By the time they arrived the flames had entered the coach and it was too late.

We got out safely and our singed belongings are in my garage waiting to be cleaned up.

The dog and 8 year old 90 lb Akita behaved well with all the rescue workers and took it in stride. We got home at 6:30 AM this morning and it will take some time to access how the wife and kids are doing.

It is a sad day at my house today and will be for some time to come. What got my wife yesterday was all the people commenting on how obviously nice condition the coach must have been in before the fire based on the PolyGlow shine on the remaining fiberglass.

The wrecker driver is now obsessed with finding out the why of it because there is nothing obvious to the his eye.

The wife is up now and looking at going to the RV Show online now and is asking "Do we want to see about getting a new one?".

Regards,
Old 05-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Took my Vectra on my first long highway run yesterday from Clearwater to Clermont and the coach handled and performed flawlessly. That is untill we reached Lakewood and white smoke became visible in the backup camera. On attempting to pull over it became apparent that the brakes were no longer functional. At this point we could now smell the smoke and it wasn't antifreeze. Rode the gears down and got it stopped on the washboards and that is when the flames started comming out from the sides of the coach. Go the wife, two children, cat and dog evacuated in record time. Emptied the fire extinguisher on the flames hoping to slow things down and give the fire dept a bit more time to arrive and ran pausing to turn off the propane when passing by it. We watched the fire department take a wrong turn and get lost and while they were getting back on track the flames picked up again. By the time they arrived the flames had entered the coach and it was too late.

We got out safely and our singed belongings are in my garage waiting to be cleaned up.

The dog and 8 year old 90 lb Akita behaved well with all the rescue workers and took it in stride. We got home at 6:30 AM this morning and it will take some time to access how the wife and kids are doing.

It is a sad day at my house today and will be for some time to come. What got my wife yesterday was all the people commenting on how obviously nice condition the coach must have been in before the fire based on the PolyGlow shine on the remaining fiberglass.

The wrecker driver is now obsessed with finding out the why of it because there is nothing obvious to the his eye.

The wife is up now and looking at going to the RV Show online now and is asking "Do we want to see about getting a new one?".

Regards,
Old 05-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Neil, sorry for the fire. I know that it must have been very traumatic. Thank goodness you or the family was not injured. Many of us complain when we here a squeak. It just goes to show how bad it can be...Be Safe and yes get another coach.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Neil V, So sorry you had such a bad experience with your beautiful Vectra. So glad you, family and pets came out o.k. When you get over the shock and your dealing with your insurance company, by all means pick out another beautiful Vectra and enjoy the RVing experiences that we RV owners so enjoy.
With sincere best wishes, J. Wood
Old 05-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Niel, Thank God you and your family are alright. My wife and I once saw a 5th wheel go up in flames in the middle of the night, what a furosious fire it was. Nothing but a metal framework was left in the morning. No one was at home in the vehicle that night either. Very scary sight to witness, that's for sure.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Neil, sorry for your loss. Happy you and the family are safe. Please post the cause of the fire if you figure it out.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

So sorry for the loss, but thankful that everyone is safe and sound. metal and fiberglass can be replaced.

Ken
Old 05-28-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks to all for the kind words and thoughts.
Although the mind can't format a more appropriate reply at this moment, rest assured much warm appreciation for all your fellow feelings exists in the heart.

Regards,
Old 05-29-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I hope I can react as calmy as you did should I ever be in the same situation. Having no brakes would have caused a crash for many people, your racing background is showing through.

And, as others have said, be sure to let us know what is found.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote