Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Required signing of waiver of responsibilty

Well its finally happened to me. I have reservation since Dec for a campground in Wisconsin for over the 4th, site had to be paid in full on the date the reservation was made. That was not really a big deal. Well just this week received an email with a required signature. This waiver was releasing the park from "any" responsibility due to injury of any kind while at the park. It covered walking and falling, playground equipment related injury. The list goes on.
I just wanted you all to know if you are planning a trip to Kieler Wisconsin, I would think twice about staying at Rustic Barn Campground.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

At least they're up front about it. Most would probably just have some boilerplate on the back of whatever documents you sign when you get there.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I just wanted you all to know if you are planning a trip to Kieler Wisconsin, I would think twice about staying at Rustic Barn Campground.
Enjoy your stay... have you seen their COVID-19 policies? Nothing wrong with them, but you should be aware.

Quote:
COvid-19 Updates:
Due to the Mandates put forth by the Governor of Wisconsin we are open, but the following applies:
  • We are unable to accept Tent Campers
  • The Bath house is closed until further notice, Laundry is opend with frequent Sanitization
  • No visitors are allowed in the Park
  • If you do not feel well, please do not enter the park
  • The Barn and Parlor are closed
  • Six foot Social distancing must be practiced
  • The store is open. Please wear a mask if you have one. One family at a time in the store. Sanitization will occur on a frequent basis in the store area.
  • Large games and playground area are open, please play at your own risk.

We understand this is a difficult time, but for the health and safety of our customers and staff these must be in place until we can loosen them up.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

In some states, Connecticut where we live being one, those waivers are unenforceable and therefore meaningless. Doesn't mean some businesses won't try to get you to sign one, particularly in this C19 situation.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

As I understand it, signing a waiver doesn't mean you can't sue them (and win). It means you signed a waiver.

That is, if they do something that causes an injury, they are still liable.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thank you all
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
As I understand it, signing a waiver doesn't mean you can't sue them (and win). It means you signed a waiver.

That is, if they do something that causes an injury, they are still liable.
It really varies by state and the waiver.

Slightly out of context, but Washington's Supreme Court decided it was malpractice for an eye doctor not to do an eye pressure test when the client later developed whatever that eye condition is called that causes them to lose site. Someone in the legislature didn't like that, so they wrote a statute overturning the decision. The court came back on similar facts and said, nope, still malpractice to not conduct a simple inexpensive test when vision is put at risk. It goes to show courts will sometimes act to right a wrong, notwithstanding obstacles put in their way.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
It really varies by state and the waiver.

Slightly out of context, but Washington's Supreme Court decided it was malpractice for an eye doctor not to do an eye pressure test when the client later developed whatever that eye condition is called that causes them to lose site.
Cataracts.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Glaucoma.
Siman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #10
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Required signing of waiver of responsibilty: I do not think this is such a big deal. When one decides to travel in the biggest pandemic since 1918, the risk of signing a waiver of responsibility should be the least of your concerns.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #11
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siman00 View Post
Glaucoma.
Glaucoma - that is it IMHO.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Glaucoma.
Whatever, I’m not a doctor, but our dog has just developed cataracts, that left untreated, he will go permanently blind. As it is right now, he can no longer see other than light. The test they did was an eye pressure test to see if his eyes can withstand the cataract removal, and lens replacement.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesMoore View Post
Glaucoma - that is it IMHO.

Pressure test is to tell if you might have Glaucoma while a visual inspection reveals Cataracts. If they refused to give a pressure test and later you developed the condition thats Glaucoma if it was Catarcacts then you obviously already have them and you might need the pressure test to see if they are still operable.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Cataracts.
No, it's the one that if pressure builds up in the eye you eventually lose your eyesight. I Googled it before scrolling down the screen--it was glaucoma.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesMoore View Post
Required signing of waiver of responsibilty: I do not think this is such a big deal. When one decides to travel in the biggest pandemic since 1918, the risk of signing a waiver of responsibility should be the least of your concerns.
I would agree. The parks aren't going to want to be facing a lawyer in a year after someone claims they got Covid-19 at the park, with the attorney going through some well thought out 25 page list of things that the park could have done, then asking whether the park had done each one of those things.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #16
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Pressure test is to tell if you might have Glaucoma while a visual inspection reveals Cataracts. If they refused to give a pressure test and later you developed the condition thats Glaucoma if it was Catarcacts then you obviously already have them and you might need the pressure test to see if they are still operable.
Ok, I’m done with this thread. Way off topic. Pressure tests are probably done in both cases.mWe HAD to have a pressure test on our dog that has cataracts, to see if he was operable.He will be, this Thursday.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

In my non-law schooled opinion, there will probably be a large number of covid lawsuits when this crisis is over. Lots of lawyers looking for paydays.

But, again, in my non-law schooled opinion, folks can sue for anything, but I believe the courts will throw them all out, ruling it was more-or-less an act of god, nature, what-have-you. And by the very act of going outside your home, taking deliveries, etc. you left yourself open to getting infected.

Again, just an opinion of a guy living in his vehicle, as safe as he can.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Ok, I’m done with this thread. Way off topic. Pressure tests are probably done in both cases.mWe HAD to have a pressure test on our dog that has cataracts, to see if he was operable.He will be, this Thursday.

They also likely weighed him, took his pulse and blood pressure however none of those are cataract tests either.

They give you an Ocular Pressure Test to check for Glaucoma before many eye surgeries including Cataract surgery since they need to know if you have Glaucoma and how severe the pressure from it is so they can treat for it which may cause them to postpone or even cancel the Cataract surgery until such point in time that the Glaucoma can be brought under control which may take a year or so to do.

No need to get all bent out of shape but take the opportunity to learn the actual reason for the test and understand why its important to know that before cataract surgery. Did the test indicate a mild case of Glaucoma or none at all? The doctor really should have explained why they do the Glaucoma test and what the choices would have been depending on its severity if the test came back positive.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:16 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Wow...they think that anything that might happen on their property is NOT their responsibility !!! Don't sign it.
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Glaucoma.
Ding, ding, ding, winner.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote