Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Yahoo to cdaveygo
Pismo Camping

Hello all,

Looking for some advice on our first camping trip. We have some neighbors that are heading to Pismo July 19th and they invited us with our new to us 2010 Winne Chalet. They have a 5th wheel toy hauler and a truck. I am a bit worried about taking the RV on the sand and was looking for advice and suggestions.

Should I avoid our first trip like this, just so you know we don't have a vehicle to tow along with our RV so we will have to use the RV for transportation as well as camping on the beach.

Let me know as we haven't made reservations and we need to do that quickly.

Thanks,
cdaveygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum. I assume you're talking about setting up camp on the beach in Pismo Beach, Ca?

We love the area but I'd never even consider taking my rig on to the sand because of fear of getting stuck. You're a lot lighter than us so it might be OK but some of our experts will probably chime in soon to give you more knowledgeable advice.

Best of Luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the forum! Not sure they allow parking on the beach for camping, at least not in the past. There's a beautiful RV park in Pismo, close to the beach. Perhaps that's where they're planning on staying?

I wouldn't drive my RV out onto the sand...getting stuck is too much of a potential problem. But, if you do, here's a tip - let some air out of the tires to increase the surface area. If you're not mired down too much, you can drive out. Been there, done that, but NOT with an RV attached.

Regardless, have fun!

:welcome:
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

my friends go out all the time in their rv's to pismo beach. It is legal to camp on the beach in your rv. I haven't done it yet as I am too chicken, but if you look up pismo beach u will see plenty of rv's parked on the sand. good luck
beaudrya786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Yes you can camp on the beach at pismo, we used to do it all the time until they closed so much of the off roading area down. And yes we got stuck... a lot! The good thing is that people are pretty nice & will help pull you out. If your friends are going out there maybe you should let them know what your concerns are. I'm sure if they're good friends that they would offer to pull you out.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It is a destination RV location used by many. I have never taken my RV on the sand but you can see many who do. I have heard that a local tow truck company makes a very nice living removing those who went too far or too deep. I believe all three Emerg Roadside Service plans will not assist you if you have left established roads on purpose.
But hay, I have taken dirt roads (usually by mistake) crossed streams, and crossed very weak looking bridges. If your up to taking a chance, enjoy.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

pismo

Been there many of times, Have your buddy bring a tow strap. Air down your tires to maybe 15-20 lbs You can only drive slow on the beach its a state hwy. The wind blows away from the beach so when you get to where your going to camp make a wide turn and gas it over the soft sand so your facing the way you came in away from the high water line. Also try to go in at low tide because there is a creek crossing that is quite deep after a big rain. Remember deeper sand hit the gas to keep your speed up. On holiday weekends there are hundreds of rv's,5ervs, and trailers out there. Have fun and yes you will will come home with sand in every inch of your rv to clean out if the wind is blowing. Don

Tags
camping