Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmedia View Post
I'd like to first thank everyone who replied to the original request for route information as taking all your advice has let me to travel from I84 to I81 to I80 west to Moab, UT.

I'm now looking for best routes from Moab to Bryce Canyon, Zion NP, then GC. As originally stated using 2002 Minnie 31C with Subaru Forester toad. We (DW) like using KOA's. Looking for easy travel route as we can use toad for sightseeing. Best Highways or routes ? Roads NOT to use ?

Your input is appreciated. Happy Traveling.
You mention that staying at KOA's is a priority.

I can't emphasize enough how much more you will enjoy the scenery out here in the west if you will dry camp in the state and national parks rather than being crammed into an RV Park with the view of other RV's out your windows.

I really suggest you give it a try. If it doesn't work out for you, then you can go back to RV Parks.

You mentioned taking 6-8 weeks for the trip, so you have the time to give dry camping or staying in the state and NP's a try.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

You can get very nice detailed views of these campgrounds by going to Google Maps or Bing Maps finding the campground and selecting the satellite views.

For BLM camping near Moab: Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Campgrounds near Moab, Utah
Many of the campgrounds along SR-128 are right on the river or very near the river.

Dead Horse SP is a nice place to camp: https://utahstateparks.reserveameric...&parkId=344161
Near Bryce, there is Red Canyon campground: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dixi...a/?recid=24944
Also Ruby Inn RV Park is a nice full hookup place. Ruby's Inn RV Park and Campground - Bryce Canyon, UT - RV Park Reviews
For Zion NP there are some RV Parks in Springdale right outside the west entrance to the park. For info go to RV Park Reviews: Springdale, UT Campground Reviews - Best of Springdale Camping - RV Park Reviews

There is easy access to the mandatory shuttle buses from these RV Parks. We always stay inside the NP, but the campgrounds are always full. However the South Campground inside the park only allows reservations to be made 2 weeks in advance. https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...campground.htm You may be able to get a reservation, but the CG will be very busy and no electric.

For the North Rim, if you can't get reservations at the NP campground, then Jacobs Lake NF CG is very nice: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/kaib...a/?recid=11702 There is also a commercial RV Park at Jacobs Lake

For the South Rim, if you can't get a reservation inside the park at the rim, there are these two choices not very far from the rim:
Ten-X Campground - USFS - Grand Canyon Village, AZ - RV Park Reviews
Grand Canyon Camper Village - Tusayan, AZ - RV Park Reviews
Also the NP campground at the east entrance to GC: Desert View (NPS Campground) - Grand Canyon National Park, AZ - RV Park Reviews
Old 06-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Note, I-70 doesn't come close to Capitol Reef NP. You have to take SR-24 south from I-70 to Hanksville and then on to Capitol Reef. From Capitol Reef, you can take the SR-12 route I described above.
Sorry, my mistake - too many miles in too many days I guess. You are correct.

Campgrounds depend on your personal tastes. We are more into touring this trip than camping. I definitely like the idea of the dry camping in the out of the way places, they just do not serve our purpose on this trip and in the heat we've experienced.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmedia View Post
Looking for route information on a planned trip to GC, etc. 2002 Winnie , class C, 331c, with toad. Six to eight weeks. I drive 300 miles per day, try to schedule two or three nights a stop. Currently using AAA, KOA and Woodalls. Looking for best routes, stops
and roads to avoid!
So Mrmedia - what did you end up doing? I'm working on a trip very similar from IL for next fall. Curious where you stayed, what you suggest to do and to also avoid, where to stay longer, etc. We are planning on the Grand Canyon then the Grand Circle Loop swinging past Hoover Dam then back to Albuquerque before heading home. We have 6-8 weeks set aside for the trip.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:37 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I trust you've read the previous responses to my initial posting. Al and Sharon's replays were extremely helpful. We did take Route I80 out , I'd have to review my log for other roads. Suggest that you consult the 511 sites for each state to get an update on construction in each state. It proved very helpful to us. Highly recommend reservations as we were glad we did. We were also glad we left an additional day or two at each major destination, ie NP's. Mechanical hitches along the way should be expected. If you want I can reply the specific places we stayed. Mostly KOA's as I stated in #1, right now on cell phone and fat thumbs !
Great trip, loved it, enjoyed taking back road tours of NP's.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Thanks! Good to know. We are having a hard time deciding which cg in Moab. Where did you stay while there?
Old 08-19-2019, 05:37 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

We used KOA just west of Moab. Highly recommend as the sites have been improved, the views are spectacular! Access to town and area are easy.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

the main route should be fairly obvious, interstate highways generally have a limited grade of course not always fun or fast.

once you get to your general destination, ask locals or travel experts locally and they can either lead you on a tour or suggest routes.

but also go Discover yourself when in area - the N. Ariz and S. Utah is very rich in culture.

Also, a suggestion is the 4 Corners area has some great places too, not too far are some great indian ruins, but also Canyon De Chelly is nice too, so both N. Ariz as well as east of flagstaff/etc has lots of places to see.

Personally I prefer to find a central location and drive tow vehicle, easier, better mpg and less stress for longer day trips.

Have fun !
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:06 PM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

I am planning Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, and big 5 in Utah. Can I just go or should I reserve campsites ahead. Turning int a lot of work. Especially not knowing how much time to spend at each Park. My 1st rv trip
scubadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
I am planning Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, and big 5 in Utah. Can I just go or should I reserve campsites ahead. Turning int a lot of work. Especially not knowing how much time to spend at each Park. My 1st rv trip
You will most likely receive more replies and info by starting a new topic with your question. Not a lot of people look at old topics with new entries.

Also be sure to provide more details like size of your RV, will you dry camp(i.e. camp w/o water-elect-sewer), how many days do you have for the trip. The more you can provide about your plans the more informed replies you will receive.

BTW you have almost no chance to get reservations for camping inside any of the national parks for this year. Reservations in private RV Parks are probably hard to get for this year as well.

How long to stay in each park depends on what you want to do. Do you want to hike, attend ranger lead hikes and programs? Or do you just want to do a quick drive through?
Old 05-19-2021, 05:09 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
We have done a western states tour for the last 3 summers. We never make a reservation more than 1 or 2 days ahead. We just don't like keeping to a strict schedule, and we don't like throwing $$$ away on reservations that are not kept. You won't, usually, get into the parks with a campsite but there are lots of campgrounds just outside the parks. If you are towing a vehicle it's a great way to travle and explore; at least for us, it is.