Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Well we made it home thanks in no part to the weather.

Our trip down was uneventful, except we would never travel with the MH down I79/77 again it was just too much for the old dear, ran very hot up those mountains. However we did get to our destination which was the Taw Caw Campground on Lake Marion at Summerton. Anyone who is going that way please stop in it is an excellent place to relax.
Our trip home was another story - when we were chased up I95 by tornadoes, the winds drove something quite large into the drivers side windshield, it went by so fast we didnt have time to see it and on the way over the MH damaged the poles and awning, we were lucky that it did not damage the MH itself - in the thros of geting it fixed, dont know the cost yet but it is insured. We thought we would turn west at Richmond VA and head over to I81 and go north from there but we ran into 2 inches of snow going though the mountains - certainly not a great trip, however our Son did well in the BASS tournament so it wasnt a total loss. We are heading for Guntersville AL in October I hope the weather is better, seems right now they also are having tornadoes!!!!! But we will be travelling down good ol reliable I75 so there is many places to lay over. Heading for Vegas in July but we will be flying, takes too long to drive from Canada. Hope all your summer trips are uneventful, take care and keep the rubber on the road.

454 7.4L Chevy Engine
trnmnt fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Well we made it home thanks in no part to the weather.

Our trip down was uneventful, except we would never travel with the MH down I79/77 again it was just too much for the old dear, ran very hot up those mountains. However we did get to our destination which was the Taw Caw Campground on Lake Marion at Summerton. Anyone who is going that way please stop in it is an excellent place to relax.
Our trip home was another story - when we were chased up I95 by tornadoes, the winds drove something quite large into the drivers side windshield, it went by so fast we didnt have time to see it and on the way over the MH damaged the poles and awning, we were lucky that it did not damage the MH itself - in the thros of geting it fixed, dont know the cost yet but it is insured. We thought we would turn west at Richmond VA and head over to I81 and go north from there but we ran into 2 inches of snow going though the mountains - certainly not a great trip, however our Son did well in the BASS tournament so it wasnt a total loss. We are heading for Guntersville AL in October I hope the weather is better, seems right now they also are having tornadoes!!!!! But we will be travelling down good ol reliable I75 so there is many places to lay over. Heading for Vegas in July but we will be flying, takes too long to drive from Canada. Hope all your summer trips are uneventful, take care and keep the rubber on the road.

454 7.4L Chevy Engine
Old 06-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here's a route from Kirkfield to Summerton, SC that will keep you out of the WV mountains. No steep grades on this route and I use it often from my home near Pittsburgh.

Come down I79 and get on I76 east. I76 is the Pennsylvania Turnpike. It's a toll road but more MPG, because of no steep grades, will compensate for the tolls. Take I-76 to the Breezewood interchange. Take I-70 south to I-81. Get on I-81 south. Take I-81 to I-66. Take I-66 to I-95. Take the I-295 bypass around Richmond, Virginia. 1115 miles.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have used the same route from Erie, Pa to Myrtle Beach many times. I will offer that the I295 around Richmond adds to the trip. I always stay on I95 and go thru Richmond. Never had a problem and it is shorter.

The first time I went from Myrtle Beach to Erie the routing was the 77/79 mess and I have never been so frustrated on any trip before or after and you can bet I will not use the route again.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'm glad I saw the above posts concerning the Interstate 77/79 "mess" I am heading from South Carolina to Wheeling and on to Pittsburgh in July.

Please share your experience with me about this route as I was planning on going that way. Is it rough road, dangerous, too mountainous, or what?
Thanks in advance for you assistance.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NCTom:
I'm glad I saw the above posts concerning the Interstate 77/79 "mess" I am heading from South Carolina to Wheeling and on to Pittsburgh in July.

Please share your experience with me about this route as I was planning on going that way. Is it rough road, dangerous, too mountainous, or what?
Thanks in advance for you assistance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When ever we go to Virginia or S.C, we usually take the PA Turnpike/70/81/66/95 route but the great wisdom of my DH and Son was that if 79/77 was shorter we should take it.
Guess who is now apologising profusely. We have a 97 Itasco Suncruiser with a 457L engine and tow a bass boat. While the highway itself was not bad it is only one lane in spots, definately under construction and very very mountainous, the grades where long and drawn out, we felt that we where on a roller coaster,we where constantly going into the lower gears. You have a newer MH and could probably handle it if your toad is not heavy.
We also ran into a problem of where to stay overnight, we usually use Flying J's but on those highways after Pittsburgh there are none and other places where few and far between.
We had to go out of our way about an hours drive around the southern end of Pittsburgh to stay for the night and then do a 12 hour day until we reached S.C. When you have dogs in tow and elderly passengers who must stop for stand up breaks, it is a very long day.

454 7.4L Chevy Engine
Old 06-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the information. I am going to Wheeling, WVa for a week of golf and then on to Pittsburgh where our "baby" is a soph. in college. I've noticed in the research that I have done so far that the Campground/RV park are few and far between in the Pittsburgh area.
I spend a lot of time overnight at Flying Js also, but we also spend an equal amount of time at Cracker Barrels. They are much quieter.
Thanks for the info, travel safe.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If your daughter is attending Pitt or one of the universities in Oakland, Mountain Top Campground would be less than a 20 mile drive. I live in the area.

http://www.mountaintopbluegrass.com/campground.htm

$40 a night but half off with Passport America, Escapees or Happy Camper.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tom I appreciate the tip on the campground