Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are planning our next big trip this fall to Maine to visit our oldest daughter and see the great color. My question to all you travelers, especially up the east coast from South Carolina, Is there areas for me to advoid, are there roads to stay off, are there tunnels or bridges that won't allow big rigs or any propane tanks to travel thru or over. Thanks in advance for your help. Also if anybody knows of some good RV parks/campgrounds along the way I would appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks and I wish I was in Forest City with you guys this week. We were there in April to get warranty work done and thought 2 trips to Iowa in same year was too much. Have a great time.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are planning our next big trip this fall to Maine to visit our oldest daughter and see the great color. My question to all you travelers, especially up the east coast from South Carolina, Is there areas for me to advoid, are there roads to stay off, are there tunnels or bridges that won't allow big rigs or any propane tanks to travel thru or over. Thanks in advance for your help. Also if anybody knows of some good RV parks/campgrounds along the way I would appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks and I wish I was in Forest City with you guys this week. We were there in April to get warranty work done and thought 2 trips to Iowa in same year was too much. Have a great time.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You can not take propane through the Baltimore tunnels. You can go around the beltway, south side is the Key bridge whick is ok if not windy, otherwise take the north side.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The tolls for the bridges that cross the Hudson River near New York City are expensive ... I didn't look before I crossed ... it darn near cleaned out my wallet ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Check the local regulations. IIRC, rigs over 96" wide are prohibited on non-federal highways in most of New England.

I know that when we were up there, I wouldn't have considered taking the Vectra on most of the state roads. That also precludes getting to many of the towns without an alternative vehicle.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Depending on exactly where you are coming from, interstates 84,90, 495, and 95 are by far the best way to Maine. You didn't say where your daughter was, but if possible, follow US route 1 along the coast - you won't regret it!
Norm Newhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We went a couple of years ago all the way from Ca. Our favorite place was Maine. Make sure you go to Bar Harbor. There's a KOA at the entrance right on the water. How long are you staying?

This site helped me lot.
New England Foliage

Hope it helps you too.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Tom,

From Aiken your best route would probably be I-77, 81, 84, 90, 495 and finally, 95.

Only tolls are on I-84 across the Hudson at Newburgh and on the Mass. Turnpike (I-90) for the short stretch from 84 to 495.

This route avoids Richmond, D.C., Baltimore, Philly and NYC.

Would recommend travelling thru Massachusetts I-495 on a weekday - any day other than Fri. to Sun.

You'll have lots of fellow travellers looking at the colors. Just take it easy and enjoy.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">best route would probably be I-77, 81, 84, 90, 495 and finally, 95 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I absolutely agree with Frank's route. Accorting to my map program, it is about 50 mi longer that way than up I-95, but well worth the additional miles in reduced stress, etc.

If your heart is set on going up I-95 most of the way, I would take exit 104 North of Richmond to US301 to bypass both DC and Baltimore. But you would still have have to deal with I-95 or Jersey Turnpike & then NYC, which wouldn't be fun any way you went at it!!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We lived in NH for 18 years and the fall color is beautiful.
Be aware though that finding a campground open after October 15th can be iffy.
Most are open from about the 1st of May until the 1st or 15th of October.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I agree with AFCHAP, exit I-95 at 104 and go up 301. If you like you can then take I-97 from 301 which will take you to the Baltimore Beltway and then to The Key Bridge and back to I-95 above Baltimore.
I think 3 tolls via 95 and Key Bridge, only 1 via 301, if memory is correct

Gas up in Virginia, MD and Delaware are high.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

depchief,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
But you would still have have to deal with I-95 or Jersey Turnpike & then NYC, which wouldn't be fun any way you went at it!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

NCTom,
AFCHAP gives a good route done it many times up to NH.

Two weeks ago I left here in Va Beach and went up 13 to the NJ Tpke, GSP, I-287, Tappanzee Br, I-684 to I-84 to Mass Pike. Other than the tolls (CBBT/Del Tpke/Del Mem Bridge/NJ TPKE/GSP, Tappanzee/Mass Pike) was smooth sailing and I'm over 60 feet with Toad. Concur with the poster Bridges over the Hudson tear me up not real expensive compared to what you get for your money crossing the CBBT. I actaully think this route is less stressful due to the amount limited access roads.

The poster that mentioned campgrounds at that time of year is spot on. Call now to make sure you have a place to roost.

V/R
Jeff
AAL747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I drove my 102" wide (not incl. mirrors..awning) all over New England two different years an NEVER had a problem on any road, in any town and only one RV site that was so overgrown with trees, etc, that a three-wheeled Motorcycle would have problems.

I was among friends as I saw hundreds of like-sized rigs while enjoying the colors.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for such great information. I have taken all the advise and will definitly plan to stay off of I-95. My daughter lives in the country outside of Lincolnville, ME so won't be needing a campsite.
Will need to spend one night on the road when I get north of DC.
Do any of the northeastern states prohibit spending the night in rest areas?
Thanks for sharing you expertise and please keep it coming.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Well, Lincolnville is a beautiful area. Hopefully you are there for a while to tour around. You will be in some of the MOST beautiful coastline on the east coast. Make sure to get fresh lobsta rolls and clam chowda daily as it has no equal anywhere.

Near there, I-295S between Brunswick and Augusta is closed so make sure to get on I-295N through Portland up to Rte 1. Rte 1 is 2-lane but big rig friendly

AVOID I-93 thru Boston NO PROPANE in tunnels, easy enough to go around.

I-95 in NH and ME are toll roads, avoid Friday & Sunday can be long delays. They do accept EZ-Pass to speed it up.

I have used the I-84/I-81 route to avoid I-95, not a bad idea to avoid NYC.

As to 96" limit, I would say off interstate roads are no different here than anywhere else, common sense and a bit o planning go far.
AS for overnight, roadside stops are few and crowded w/ trucks. Have been MHing for a year now and I am a bit ashamed how unRVfriendly New England hiways are. We have used a few Wal-marts for the quick overnight, just ask first to be safe.

Have a GREAT Time.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I was beginning to think I had dreamed it . . . but no:

http://www.two-lane.com/widebody.html

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:44 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Interesting that Arizona is among those supposedly banning 102" vehicles. Especially considering that on any day, theere will be thousands of drivers pushing same down the roads. But see- Arizona Regs

I suspect many/most/all states have either changed their laws or choose to ignore this particular one in the name of tourists. I have never seen a sign stating the restriction.

Having been in 49 states over the last 4+ years, I have yet to be stopped for over width and I suspect that 99% of LEO's are aware (or at least their bosses are) that virtually all current motorhomes are 102".

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #19
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Avoid I-95 Washington and Baltimore & New Jersey. Take I-81 through Pa to NY state head north then east either towards Troy NY then to Bennington VT North onto Rt.7 Or continue north to Glens Falls NY to Rutland VT from Rutland take Vt7 north to I-89 just south of Burlington head east on 89 to rt 2 continue east through New Hampshire and east to Maine stay on state roads you will have no problem and see terrific scenery. We have been spending a month in the area every fall for the past 7 years. The only problem I have is having to leave the area I hate to leave. If you stay till Nov 1st you can run into icy roads in higher elevations. Check the campground reviews forum for good info on camgrounds in Vt NH & Maine. Heading north from Bennington Vt on rt7 is my favorite then continue all the way up through the state. There are several alternate routes that are all godd drives. E mail me and I will send them to you
Old 07-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

If I was going to Maine I would use ding alings way up I-81 as it is a prettier route that time of year and least expensive.
As to your question about staying overnight in rest areas in the northeast, that is a no on. I used to live in Nj and know that you can't stay overnight in rest areas. Some rest areas in Vermont and New Hampshire have dump stations though as does Maine I think.
When we travel from point A to B we try to park overnight at Wal-Mart or Flying J or even Cracker Barrel. Plus the fact that if you do park in a rest rea sop do trucks and they idle all night, no sleep.
Just curious how your handle is NCTom when you are from SC? Thought maybe it wouls be SCTom.
Have a great trip and enjoy your daughter.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote