Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

National Forest campgrounds opening?

It is getting seriously warm here in the Phoenix area (expected to be something like 102 F today) and so I looked at the National Forest campgrounds at recreation.gov and found that the ones in the central Arizona mountains are either already open or will be opening in the next couple of weeks. At least they are taking reservations.

I wonder if National Forest campgrounds are opening all over the US.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's spotty at best as some have opened but too many folks ignoring the rules made them close some again. Missouri is one where the St. Louis crowd hits the national forest heavy and they just don't seem to understand it has to be done in a controlled way. You may have seen the news about the bar holding the big music show and all the folks who went there. Same folks who hit the Mark Twain forest. Some have opened, some have restricted access, and some have closed again.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

State Parks in Florida were taking reservations through their website for dates they weren't open but I did get a full refund from the vendor. Best to check the website closely or call.
harvestmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Some the national forest sites I think of do not reserve and are just chained off when they get too much traffic, so getting good reliable info will likely not be possible as it will depend on how much virus spread there is in that particular area. Somewhat like the Keys being for local folks only until June 1? Where folks are taking things serious and doing the mental thing of wearing masks and distancing well, things stay open but when some of the local trails and parks got too crazy, they closed.
Just going to be tough sledding on plans for this summer at least. Actual results, yet to be determined!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote