Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 12:46 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Much of the frustration/disappointments of anything is due to attitude! Sometimes we want far more than is possible. Like we all want to go back to life before the pandemic but flying is just not in our comfort range at the moment as we look at all the people who do not accept life as it really is but want what they want, regardless of others.

So maybe looking at how you might work it out to try the trip but with a far more open plan than you might normally do things? Along with some downsides as mentioned, the RV does give some real opportunity for free style things. Things like stopping in the middle of no where just because the kids, wife or driver feel like it is getting tooo much? Maybe the kids would love to have a free day to just play in the snow if they don't get too much of that all the time?

My wife and I have fairly well adapted to letting things go if they get too difficult to attain. The older you get, the more you learn you will not get to do it all anyway!
We planned a trip to Eastern Tenn. last summer but knowing that covid was a major factor, so we left Texas with a semi-firm schedule but assuming it would not be done.
We rolled right along and did quite well until we got too close to the remains of the hurricane of the time and stalled for a couple days for weather to clear but made it to Shiloh in Tenn. before deciding to turn back as the attitudes were getting way too loose and dangerous as they had not admitted that covid was a real disease, not a political thing.
So we did a trek, enjoyed what we were able to do and turned back gladly to avoid killing ourselves or our family when we got home. With the shots coming out, maybe we do it next time??

I suggest making several plans, none of which involve investing any upfront money and keeping in mind that things are not firmly planned too far in advance. Pick a few points where you want to stop for a moment and consider what to do next? Plans and dreams are for wanting but they can still keep us happy even if we decide to stop short.

Wanting and "having to have it" are two different things and only need different attitudes?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Mark,
You have certainly spent a goodly amount of time thinking about the pluses & minuses of this trip and are using very good logic.

In your situation RV travel seems to be much better than flying. While RV travel takes longer, it really gives a great deal of flexibility to your travel.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:38 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Are you from Hillsboro? We live in North Plains. We are neighbors. I work at Intel right off of 26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Mark,
You have certainly spent a goodly amount of time thinking about the pluses & minuses of this trip and are using very good logic.

In your situation RV travel seems to be much better than flying. While RV travel takes longer, it really gives a great deal of flexibility to your travel.
MarkCoburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:46 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCoburn View Post
Are you from Hillsboro? We live in North Plains. We are neighbors. I work at Intel right off of 26.
Well, no we are not from Hillsboro. We are from San Antonio, TX. However our son & DIL moved to Hillsboro, OR in 2012, taking our two grandsons with them . This did not make grandma happy.

We have spent every summer since then in the Hillsboro area (mostly at Stub Stewart SP) and the Pacific NW. When we were not with family we wandered around Washington & Oregon.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Arizona is Off now California

Well,

The friends that we were going to visit in AZ are having a schedule change. They have a sick dad out of state that they are moving into assisted living. So... we are canceling the AZ plans to not complicate their lives.

I guess we are just going to go south and not as far as AZ.

It sounds like we need to spend a night or two at Seven Feathers. I was thinking that we would at least go to the San Fran area. We could go farther.

Any suggestions? We have 2 kids (8&11) and a puppy.

Mark
MarkCoburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Things to see...

If the kids have never seen the CA Redwoods, this could be a good time (if not too wet). Maybe even the Trees of Mystery. Every little kid needs a cheesy photo next to Paul Bunyan and the bull even if you don't go in. There's now a sky tram through the canopy. They'll never need to go again until they take their own kids. Also, the blow holes at Depoe Bay and Yachats, when the tides are right, will have them screaming with delight.
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #27
Site Team

Hi again Mark,
I do like McCloud RV Park, near Mt. Shasta. The town to which it is adjacent (McCloud, CA) is an old mining town, and has great streets to walk the dog and see the sights. Try to get a spot next to the creek. I could stay there two nights, as it is a very relaxed environment.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-12-2021, 10:53 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Well. Busy making other plans . . .
Arizona is someplace to visit, when you have more time. To appreciate its rich history, its beauty, and its curious present focus, as it moves into prolonged drought. The last such drought ended the Classic Pueblo culture.
How far south to go? As others have suggested, Northern California has lots to offer, and with the landslides, Route 1 south of Monterey is off the table. The Sacramento River and Sierra foothills offer lots of options, including Red Bluff (check out Sycamore Grove campground), Chico, and Grass Valley/Auburn, all of which will be decked out in their Spring finest. Depending on the weather, the I-5 to 101 connectors will be open, and would be worthy of a visit to the Siskiyous and Arcata/Eureka and Healdsburg.
Of course, those of us of "California Persuasion" would claim the 1/101 coastal route as the epitome of beauty. As was mentioned, the redwoods MAY be beautiful (climate change has altered expectations), Mendocino has always been my homecoming queen, and the Sonoma Coast, Bolinas, and Point Reyes will be spectacular, with wildflowers blazing.
All of this is contingent of COVID-19. Hopefully, you will have had your vaccine, the campgrounds and RV parks are open, and the dams are intact.
MarvinFickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel