Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
KWP
KP

Idaho to New Hampshire

Any thoughts on the routes to take to avoid Chicago? Or best route to a avoid large cities?
KWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
Site Team

There are not good choices short of dropping way south and crossing at Indianapolis and going via Columbus.

However, we drove from Wisconsin to Michigan and NE Ohio a couple of years ago and I swore I'd never go through Chicago and Northern Indiana again. So, to me no matter how far out of the way it takes to go is what route I would take.

Horrible roads. Terrible traffic. Constant Toll-booths. A days drive that felt like 3-days.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWP View Post
Any thoughts on the routes to take to avoid Chicago? Or best route to a avoid large cities?
We were in SD last spring with all the flooding. That's right on I-90, but we worked our way down to I-80 via I-35, and then caught US-6 before I-90 east of Chicago. We took US-6 all the way until it merged with US-20 in Ohio, then remained on US-20 until Cleveland, when we got back on I-90. We headed into NY before ending up in Maine, so that's probably not the route you would take. If we were heading straight to the coast we'd probably take I-80 to I-81 to I-84 to I-90 to I-495 to I-95, but other routes might work better depending on where you are headed in NH.

You may ask why US-6 and US-20. Simple answer: high tolls through IN and OH! We only go 55 mph, even on the interstate, so traveling the back roads is quite relaxing without traffic weaving in and out and cutting in.

I'm not sure about campgrounds being open the time of year you plan on traveling; I know many close here in New England mid-October. We had problems finding campgrounds on the way back from SD thru IL due to the flooding; ended up staying at Flying J a couple of nights.

We have the NH EZ Pass. Not sure what the cost of the transponder is these days, but as you are coming to NH the state offers discounts to NH registered users that I do not believe are available to out-of-state transponders.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I understand the folks are getting serious about letting travelers through New York and adding serious fines ($2000) , so do some checking on that aspect? Would not be fun to have to QT for 14 days along the route and the middle of the country is definitely not wanted there. Can't go through Canada so there may be big bottleneck involved?
Link to advisory:
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote