Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I-205 Through Portland, OR

Does anyone have any experience with I-205 through Portland, OR? I'd rather avoid Portland entirely, but that would require a significant detour, where I-205 seems to only add about 7 minutes to a trip.

I-5 through Portland can be rather confusing if you're not familiar with it, so I'd rather not go through pulling a trailer. But given the crazies in Portland having a freeway shut down for protests would not be out of the question. I just want to know if there's anything I should know about I-205.

For those going through Seattle I can tell you that I-405 is a good detour, although both I-405 and I-5 can have traffic. Probably a toss up there, ignoring protest shut downs.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
Site Team

The last time I went through Portland was in November, and the traffic flow time advisory boards will advise as you get closer. If the crazies lay down on the freeway again (which I doubt) it should tell you to use the other pathway. Interstate 5 through Portland has some really sharp turns, so I-205 is easier to drive anyway.
Good luck; Eagle5
Old 07-19-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
The last time I went through Portland was in November, and the traffic flow time advisory boards will advise as you get closer. If the crazies lay down on the freeway again (which I doubt) it should tell you to use the other pathway. Interstate 5 through Portland has some really sharp turns, so I-205 is easier to drive anyway.
Good luck; Eagle5
Thanks. Not sure how they deal with the crazies in Portland. In Seattle they now seem to shut down the freeway in advance so the crazies can go onto it, but I don't think there's anything that says the crazies have to give advance notice.

Looking at the map zoomed out it looks like I-5 would be the straighter route, but I do remember you at a minimum have to be paying attention to lane assignments. Good to know I-205 works well.

FWIW, Oregon has had quite an anarchist population for years. During the WTO riots in Seattle many of them were from Oregon.