Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Heading to Fla

Leaving Saturday for our condo in Florida. Any one with experience using the "loop"around El Paso? That city always seems congested with regular grid lock and I see that there is a loop around Ft. Bliss that reconnects to I10. Anyone?
Also any info on Texas State Parks at Junction (Llano State Park), and McKinney State Park south of Austin. Thanks in advance.
Gigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi,
I go through El Paso a few times a year with my RV. During the height of the construction I took the Cross Mounting Loop. From the East it's a pretty easy slow climb but from the West I found it a bit more challenging. It's fine but the part through the state park does slow down a bit. On the other side of the mountain it's a big expressway.

BUT... we've stopped going that way as all the construction seems to be completed or at least not a problem any longer. All of the lane shifts, etc are a thing of the past. There is still traffic through town but we seem to always go through after rush hour so I don't know what it's like early morning or late afternoon.

We do always get gas at Exit 1 which is the exit prior/after to the mountain loop exit. The truck stop on the North side of the overpass (Flying J or is it Pilot, I forget) always seems to have the lowest price and it has RV lanes. (there is a Loves across the street and even another pilot or FJ on the south side of the highway but it's difficult to access, at least for gas).

South Llano River State Park is our favorite go to park in Texas. We visit probably 6 times a year. It's smaller but very nice. We don't go there in the heat of the summer because they only have 30-amp electric service and our RV gets too hot on one A/C unit. We have a reservation to go there the first week of Jan on our way to Tucson.

It's popular on Weekends and you must have a reservation for a Fri or Sat night. During the week we've found it getting busier and busier so you might need a reservation regardless. And, they do close down for scheduled "Hunts" so check the website for those closures.

If we can't get in there we always stay at Buckhorn Lake Resort in Kerrville. It's a great private park, one of the best in Texas. It's right on I-10 just west of the town of Kerrville.

McKinny Falls SP is pretty nice but it's not really South of Austin. Austin has grown all around it and it's a great place to stay if you're wanting to spend time right in Austin.

We cross I-10 between San Antonio and Tucson twice a year and we have friends in Albuquerque, too so we go that way a lot.

Here's our usual stops:

Junction is always our first stop it's 100 miles away
Van Horn RV Park is our second stop (but only because Balmorhea SP has been closed for repairs for 4 years.)
Then we either stay at Hacienda RV Park in Las Cruces, NM or a Harvest Host at the D.H. Lescombes Winery in Deming, NM.

When coming East from New Mexico on 1-10 you can Exit at Boerne, TX onto Hwy 46 and take it straight across Boerne to Spring Branch to New Braunfels to Seguin and pick up I-10 on the other side of San Antonio if you want to by pass the construction and traffic though San Antonio. (and of course back the other way on the way back west.) It's about 55 miles maybe. It's 60 to 65 mph across there. Minimal city traffic. You'll pass George Strait's neighborhood and also 1/3rd of a mile from my house.

East of San Antonio we've stayed at Palmeto State Park and at Stephan F Austin State Park. Both are pretty close to I-10 and both are nice. The SF Austin park is just before you get into the horrendous traffic and construction though Houston. It's been 2 or 3 years since we went through there and it was a hellscape. Maybe it's improved now.

Enjoy!
Old 12-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was trying to see if So. LLano SP was preferable to the North Park...will use South. We'll be visiting friends in Las Cruces...ever used Sunny Acres Park? Went east through Houston last Dec., was fairly easy, the completed construction has made a world of difference.
While I am at it...would like to hear any updates from anyone who has been on I10 east Houston to Mobile lately...last Dec. there was a lot of construction.
Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
Site Team

I wasn't sure what you meant by the North Park, but I've figured out what you mean. You don't want the "North Park" it's an old run down Former-KOA that is full of permanent residents. The State Park is 7 miles south of town. It's a totally different kind of park, obviously.

The other RV park in Junction was inundated by a huge flood in Oct, 2018 and I think 2 campers died. Several RVs were buried by the flood.

There is a city park on the LLano River in town. It's dry camping, really more like boondocking, as there are no designated sites. You just find a place to park and stay the night.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Creative, thanks again. Will be using the State Park...no boon docking this trip.

Anyone with construction info on I10 East> Houston to Mobile?