Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2022, 09:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Grand Junction to Santa Fe

I have driven up from Cortez then Moab to I70. And I could go back that route. On that trip I did I40 to Gallup then north. Past Moab the I70 to GJ.
I have a View and towing a For Fiesta.
What about 50 to 550 (million Dollar Highway)? Or other routes?
Old 07-28-2022, 06:37 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

CO-141 is another option, not as scenic as 550 but not as much climbing either. Both get you to 160 and then to Pagosa Springs, from there 84 is a nice drive down to Sante Fe.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:58 AM   #3
Site Team

Well, the drive on 550 through Ouray, Sliverton, Durango is so beautiful it's hard to pass up - But it's a challenging and slow drive. There are a zillion YouTube videos of that drive if you want to see it first.

The route the Wyocamper has suggested is not as dramatic, but it's probably less stressful a trip.

I know we'd take CO141 mostly because my wife has done the 550 ride twice and has vowed never to go that route again.

The 3rd choice would be to take 550 to Ridgeway then cut over to Placerville on CO 62 to pick up CO145 through Telluride down through Cortez. That's a stunningly beautiful road and not nearly as stressful a ride - though you will see some super high altitudes.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I too recommend 550 to Ridgway, then Placerville. Though I have driven 550 through Ouray, Silverton and Durango many times in a class c towing a trailer. But this summer has seen significant rain fall and mud slides.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

In May we took our 32' motorhome and toad from Grand Junction to Ouray and on to Durango over the Million Dollar Highway and lived to tell the tale.

This is one of the most beautiful drives I have ever been on, but the driver doesn't get to see much of it. The route is very tight and hilly with some very steep grades and sharp turns. However, for the most part, I was able to keep to the recommended speed limit which is 15 in some places. I pulled over a few times to let others go by, including some semis, but I would do it again (my wife may have another opinion). Even though I was using lower gears, I pulled over before Durango to let the brakes cool down. Probably not necessary as they were below 200 degrees, but the old man behind the wheel needed a breather.

Actually, I thought I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction was more stressful.
DustyDude is offline   Reply With Quote