Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2022, 02:04 PM   #1
unclescratch

Question Gallup to Santa Fe to Texas

Travelling Gallup NM/Santa Fe NM. Looks like lots of mountains. I go slow, 55-60. How long should it take in daytime??? Good overnight spots near/ east of Santa Fe? Then NE to Springer and east to Texas. Any comments? Thanks.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:13 PM   #2
Site Team

The best way to go - really, I'd say the only way to go is to take I-40 East out of Gallup to I-25 North to Santa Fe. that's 199 miles and going slow and accounting for the traffic between I-40 and I-25 interchange, we would allow 5-6 hrs. Depending on time of day of course because of morning and afternoon rush hours in Albuquerque.

Then, Santa Fe to Texas depends on where you want to go in Texas. If you're headed toward Dallas/Ft Worth or if you're headed South of there.

But generally the best way to Texas from S.F. is to take 285 South out of Santa Fe to Clines Corner where you pick up I-40 again. The rest depends on where you want to end up in Texas.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #3
unclescratch

Thanks much ! We're heading across to Ponca City, OK.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Much depends on personal choice and attatudes!
We find the interstate is not my flavor unless I'm pressed so look for other options and once you get into Texas, the trafic flows plenty fast and about all the route is four lane of some sort, so we often do a "cut across" move to get off the slab!

For a couple sites we like, this route may fit but the cut off at Santa Rosa can cut lots of miles if going further South.

Santa rosa lake has some dino trakcs and water, so it is a fav of ours to get out and walk around a bit! Palo Duro is great----if you are not already sick of looking at rocks by the time you get there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	182605  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Perfect, take 285 south out of Santa Fe, go East on I-40 all the way to OKC and head North on I-35 to OK 60 East to Ponca City, OK.

You want to stay on the main roads through New Mexico - there are mountains in the way between most locations in Northern New Mexico. And North West Texas is just flat land, wind mills and Oil wells. So, the interstate really helps get you through it.

Rich, we always take the Rt 84 turn off at Santa Rosa when going home from ABQ or SF. But since the OP's headed to north of OKC the interstate is about his only choice.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We felt treated right at Oasis RV park at Amarillo since you are pretty well stuck on I40.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:40 PM   #7
Site Team

If you don't mind straying off of the interstate for a few nights. You can't beat Palo Duro Canyon State Park. It's a good 25 miles off of I-40 but is one of the very best Texas State Parks.

Check for reservations if you do try to go - it really fills up, especially on the weekends.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Last month, for the first time, we took I-25 east from Santa Fe towards Las Vegas to avoid weather closing in. It was a pleasant drive, not too mountainous, and more scenic than taking 285. Before reaching Las Vegas take 84 south until hooking up with I-40. Blaze-in RV resort in Tucumcari was pretty nice, easy in and out, and only $30 with military discount. From there, easy shot to your final destination without having to stop in Amarillo. Normally would be 3 hours from Santa Fe to Tucumcari, but high winds and blowing snow slowed us to 4 hours.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:30 AM   #9
unclescratch

Marine359: Good scoop, thanks. Semper Fi !
Old 04-25-2022, 01:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Not sure of how dedicated to Gallop you might be but we like Red Rock Park at Church Rock, NM for a quiet place with lots of walking out inot the sand and rocks.

But again, that depends on what you value as it doesn't have much "resort " style, just a place to set it down and stretch if the timing is right. Prairie dog village under the side of the RV made it something we have not watched up close before.

I would rather set and watch a prairie dog dig than go to the clubhouse!
Old 04-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

While in Gallup, don’t miss going to breakfast at historic Don Diego’s in downtown Gallup, right on historic Rte 66.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:51 PM   #12
unclescratch

Morich: Gallup is just on short stop/visit on a longer journey......
Old 04-25-2022, 06:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

We always tried to have a big variety of potential stops in mind and that let us do it more at a pace that fit at the time as I never knew how far I wanted to run before I stopped.
I had gotten to the point of not doing too much worry on reservations as we got around to thinking the Hampton was okay if things got crowded on the camping!
Old 04-28-2022, 08:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
If you don't mind straying off of the interstate for a few nights. You can't beat Palo Duro Canyon State Park. It's a good 25 miles off of I-40 but is one of the very best Texas State Parks.

Check for reservations if you do try to go - it really fills up, especially on the weekends.

I cannot second this recommendation highly enough. Excellent place to spend time hiking, taking in the history, and exploring Amarillo.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I was born in OK, lived in NM & TX. No need to go to OKC ... both I-40 & I-35 can be pretty rough in OK. I would take US 60 out of Amarillo across Western OK to Orienta where joins 412 to I-35, then N a few miles and on East on US 60 to Ponca City. High Point RV park in Enid world be a good overnight if needed.