Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Florida Keys in July ??

Looking for input on whether or not it's a comfortable time to be in the Keys for 3-4 weeks in July. We live in Venice FL and even though we have a nice breeze 24/7 it does get very warm and humid. I would expect summer humidity in the Keys but what about the temperatures? Normally we would head Northwest (WY, SD,MT) for the summer but this year thinking of staying closer to home. Any recommendations on where to stay would be appreciated too.
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
US Climate Data

i've found this website to be very useful...

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usaz0247

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
Site Team

It's the cheapest time of year and easiest to get reservations - probably due to the unpleasantly hot, humid and rainy weather?
Old 04-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
Site Team

I went one year in July on my motorcycle. It was hot, humid and rainy as described above and on the motorcycle in full gear, miserable. BUT if you like the hot/beach weather it might work out well for you. Me, I'm not a beach person and stay inside in the summer down here (St. Pete area).
Old 04-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hot and Humid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC View Post
Looking for input on whether or not it's a comfortable time to be in the Keys for 3-4 weeks in July. We live in Venice FL and even though we have a nice breeze 24/7 it does get very warm and humid. I would expect summer humidity in the Keys but what about the temperatures? Normally we would head Northwest (WY, SD,MT) for the summer but this year thinking of staying closer to home. Any recommendations on where to stay would be appreciated too.

It will be hot and humid. Expect temps in the upper 80s low 90s with 80+ percent humidity. It will be during hurricane season, so have a plan. If you live in Venice, you know how the roads can be when everyone is trying to evacuate at the same time. Note that the road to and from the Keys is 1 lane each direction with a very few exceptions. Have a plan! That said, the Keys are a great escape. Depends how far down you want to go before you "roost". Bluewater key resort is nice and only 13 miles to Key West. Or you can try Boyd's which is actually on Key West. Note EVERYTHING in the Keys is expensive. If you are retired military, try the NAS Key West Famcamp. Always ask for the "locals" price at all bars and restaurants and you may be able to catch a break. best of luck.
GrumpyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #6
Veteran RV Owner

July is also HURRICANE SEASON! Something to consider......
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It all depends on your acclimation - the Keys in July are blazing hot think 98 degrees most days with 95% humidity. Then it rains in the afternoon and afterward it gets worse. You either love it or cannot tolerate it
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

It is hot but generally breezy. The old homesteads, before AC, used some type of vent shafts to keep air moving in the house. That helped with the prevention or reduction of mildew and mold. We went in the Summer and found it to be tolerable with the breezes blowing all the time. We did some swimming and snorkeling and took a couple of boat trips (one glass bottom). Enjoy.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We love the Keys....hot or not

Take a boat...take plenty to read...explore every street...

5pm to bed time is the best time in the summer heat, float in the water, do boat tours..just hang out.

Plan around lobster season, unless you are one of them. Crowds are terrible then

Give the weekends to the influx of Miami's, work around them

Islamorada is my fav, Take a bike, ride late & early in the day...

Don't fight anything...go with what you've got

memories will be priceless
Old 05-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We live in Port Charlotte and go to the Keys year round. We usually stay at Bluewater or Sunshine Key RV Resort. Depends on our mood. You get better breezes down in the Keys versus Venice. We are going on June 13th to Sunshine Key for 1-week. Come on down!!
motomike1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

However, do not expect the Keys to be what you remember as it has been hit as hard as the rest of the country and lots of shops and business is gone for the duration. They have had access closed to anybody who did not live or work there and plan to open June 1, so do not assume anything without checking. Their blockage has worked to keep their cases down to only about 100 reported sick and just three dead, so they are happy in that way but it has also pretty well killed them in every other way. I would kind of expect a mixed bag of feelings from locals on meeting a tourist. Folks working local business may love to see you while retired residents may want to run you off!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote