Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

first trip in new rig

Made our first trip in our 2003 Journey DL to Horse Cave Kentucky KOA. Nice Campground expensive but its KOA in tourist area. Only issues was on the way back coolant leak that I have not found yet and toilet ball seal , boy did it start to stink on the way back lol.
[mod edit Shutterfly pages cannot be used for forum embedding.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210406_061904_original.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	510.9 KB
ID:	178299  
sjcopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #2

Congrats on your new rig!

Do you have a Concerto Toilet?

If your toilet ball seal is rubber, and it does not seal well, this is common. I use dielectric grease to help the arched ball seal and hold water. Without the water you will have smell. And the more you vent the bathroom the more vacuum will stink up the place.

After you line the rubber seal with dielectric grease, you may need to physically push the "ball-gate" with your fingers to get it seal tight; and eventually the rubber will reform a good seal to last the season.

New Concerto china bowl toilets are expensive; and I have no plans to replace the hard to get and expensive parts in this Dometic-Sealand toilet. I.e., if I lose the circuit board or I can't get the ball seal to hold water, then I plan to put in a residential tiny toilet that is 24.5" deep and I will reduce the gal/flush by adding a soda bottle or 2 to displace the volume inside the tank.

There are a lot of people who will advice against going this route, but I think they are all naysayers and for some reason don't think an RV should have a residential toilet, but your DW will love you for it! And if you are not boondocking a lot, who cares if it flushes 0.8 gal/flush? Just install a shark bite on/off valve and you will not have a problem with water sloshing out of the holding tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Concerto - Sealand Toilet Model #4310 Ball.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	178300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Concerto Bowl Seal Kit #385311009.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	178301  

Name:	Concerto - Sealand Toilet Model #4310.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	178302   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 P-Trap Like Toilet.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	178303  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Fix your seal but sealed or not; if you drop 8 oz of this stuff in the black tank there will be no smell

Our toilet goes straight down but seals very good, but sooner or later when you flush the whiff could come out, but this odorizer simply works. Not to mention that it helps to breakdown waste & paper.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:45 PM   #4
Site Team

If you only smell it when you drive, it may be the roof vent and not the toilet seal. If so, this may solve the problem, like it did for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXKU53E...ing=UTF8&psc=1
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
If you only smell it when you drive, it may be the roof vent and not the toilet seal. If so, this may solve the problem, like it did for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXKU53E...ing=UTF8&psc=1
I wonder if anybody has done a CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) simulation of a Class A going down the road. I'd be interested to see the pressure and flow profiles up on the roof.

I like that little device, probably will get one for the Vista. The wife puts up with many things, but that smell is past her line of tolerance.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Other than deodorizer, before I did all that I would put on gloves (DW should do this), get a little soapy water, turn off the pump and reach down and clean the seal. Calcium, hair, and other matter can attach itself to the seal and cause a leak. Worked for us in our old 5'er.

Also, it is possible that it is the spring that holds the ball tight. Most manufacturers have a kit to replace the spring and mechanisms.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Congrats on your new rig!

Do you have a Concerto Toilet?

If your toilet ball seal is rubber, and it does not seal well, this is common. I use dielectric grease to help the arched ball seal and hold water. Without the water you will have smell. And the more you vent the bathroom the more vacuum will stink up the place.

After you line the rubber seal with dielectric grease, you may need to physically push the "ball-gate" with your fingers to get it seal tight; and eventually the rubber will reform a good seal to last the season.

New Concerto china bowl toilets are expensive; and I have no plans to replace the hard to get and expensive parts in this Dometic-Sealand toilet. I.e., if I lose the circuit board or I can't get the ball seal to hold water, then I plan to put in a residential tiny toilet that is 24.5" deep and I will reduce the gal/flush by adding a soda bottle or 2 to displace the volume inside the tank.

There are a lot of people who will advice against going this route, but I think they are all naysayers and for some reason don't think an RV should have a residential toilet, but your DW will love you for it! And if you are not boondocking a lot, who cares if it flushes 0.8 gal/flush? Just install a shark bite on/off valve and you will not have a problem with water sloshing out of the holding tank.
water wouldn't stay in bowl leaked by, tried vasoline for temp fix no go. Thank you for part numbers because what I found didn't match . If it doesn't work I like your idea of residential model. I could have multiple issues I got this unit at a good price but I know right off needed tires , one wheel seal and sway bar bushings.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Our other units we added deodorizers, my guess previous owner owned it for year drove it 22k did nothing to it basically . tires where 8 years old except 1 steer tire yikes.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #9

SJcopy:

Vasoline will not work. I have tried it. However, I found the thicker more hydrophobic Dielectric Grease will work.

Here's some more information in this link on this subject:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ir-353486.html

...So don't buy new parts or a new toilet just yet!

...And if you come up with a better solution, please post it to this other thread since it is marked "toilet repair" or start your own thread with a better description so other people can find your solution to the problem.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I forgot to add the first thing I did was try to clean and you could see little pieces of the seal. Replaced seal all is good only issue was getting back up off the floor bent around the toilet putting the clamp back on. Thank you