Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Summer Camping off Grid

NICE THREAD EVERYONE! We travel from KC to Colorado multiple times a year, and for the past 3 years our 2018 MicroMinnie goes along. The sense of severe congestion is real (for example Cheyenne Mountain State Park - totally booked out)! it takes some research, and more importantly direct investigation (driving into more remote areas without the trailer), taking pics, keeping logs, etc. to flesh out boondocking opportunities - called "dispersed camping" areas in National Forests. Unless these are posted, "no dispersed camping" (usually due to excessive use) they're places you can boondock. I can make a 5 day stay (wife and myself) with the following in addition to what's already onboard the MM. Two 5 gal water jugs, Garmin satellite communicator (in case of emergency, and convenience of staying in touch with family nightly), Honda 2200i to charge up trailer battery, usually once a day in the evening (takes about an hour), extra 5 gal gasoline, extra LPG tank, queen down comforter for the bed, and am contemplating a 10 gal accessory black tank. My Tundra Crew Max will get me in (and so far out :-) of a lot of beautiful and WAY out of the way places. Last summer, in July, a buddy and I spent 10 days re-tracing the John C Fremont 4th expedition (to map an intercontinental rail route), up to and including the "Christmas Camp" in the San Juan's. It was a "cool" trip in every sense of the word! Hope this helps, and happy boondocking with your MM!
KGs2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMitch View Post
My wife and I (and 23 year old daughter for part) just returned from a trip where we drove from Georgia, to Arizona, through the parks of Utah and East Colorado and back. Although we had reservations in a mix of National, State and private campgrounds for about two weeks of the trip, for the drive out, the week in Colorado and New Mexico and the return we did not.
Knowing that the chances of gaining last minute reservations in a state or National park (our favorites) was low, we decided to learn more about and prepare for comfortable, extended boon docking. Although we had done some in the past, our 2018 View 24D, which we love, was not up for more extended stays, so starting a few months beforehand, I researched and designed a new electrical system and means of conserving power and water. But before I get into that, we researched and learned that camping in National Forests, on wildlife lands and BLM is allowed nearly anywhere unposted, accessible and that doesn’t cause obstruction. For us, the Bureau of Land Management properties became our havens. In fact, these ended up being some of the most spectacular places we have ever stayed, along rivers with Mountain View’s, etc. we are njoyes these so much that we canceled some of our last reservations and went almost entirely to National, State and BLM lands. So back to prep…
The water is simple… water savers on sinks and shower and good practices, which cuts down water use and holding tank (though holding tanks are basically never an issue.. just fresh water)..
For the electrical, I went all out. We added (4) 100W solar panels to the roof (we are actually adding one more soon), a new Victron solar controller charger, a Sungold Power 2,000W inverter/charger with auto gen start in the back of driver side storage where the old sewer hose tank used to be, a Renogy DC-DC charger under the passenger seat (2), 205AH lithium batteries from Big Battery, a small supplemental breaker box, and a ton of cables, fuses, and Victron Bluetooth monitoring. Believe it or not, with the Easy Start 365 A/C contoller added, this will even run our A/C for a while..
This system, combined with some other sewer, water management, storage, auto-levelers, and rattle fix upgrades has not only allowed for greatly extended, comfortable boon-docking, but we can set up and be level or tear down in less than ten minutes (chairs, grill and all). So think about noon-docking not just as a Walmart parking lot, but as the most beautiful, expansive places available, with as much or little privacy as you prefer.
Well
I gotta say, you've covered your tracks, so to speak. Not a whole lot of folks would go through what you did, to enable camping in areas where you camp. I applaud you immensely. Having a 36' diesel pusher, is not the most "off road" capable machine. Yes, it can do some moderate dirt roads but, for those of you that have done dirt roads with pushers, well, you know the cleanup involved when done or, back at home. But, sacrifices have to be made, in order to cope with or, enjoy the benefits. Some folks don't mind rough-riding their diesels down less than decent dirt roads.
I myself, really like remote camping. I doubt I'd go through the complete extreme you have for total alteration though. I might end up throwing a couple solar panels on since I just did a residential fridge conversion a few months ago. We got plenty of water. We've been water conservationists for decades anyways so, that's taken care of. Sure sounds like you've got it covered nicely. Nice work. I'd like to see some pics of your spots if possible. It'll make me way more jealous than I already am.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Deciding what's a Ma&Pa

One of the first lessons learned in and around the West to mid-west (Say Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Kansas and some of Colorado) is that the campgrounds are very different than the typical U.S. Southern, Norther or coastal campgrounds, and a world different than State and National Parks.
We were so surprised to find that whether we paid $35 or $95 a night in the Western areas, all the private campgrounds had one thing in common.... small spaces and no privacy. It became almost a joke with us that not only the campgrounds we stayed at, but the more than a dozen other highly rated campgrounds we visited, no matter how clean and how many facilities, all had campsites that were edge-to-edge, usually about 20 feet wide by whatever length you need, and no buffer. Given that much of these areas are sparse on trees, it felt like we were paying to be in a gravel parking lot with a hundred other campers, with hookups. It was so disappointing and hard to figure out.
In the Southeast and much of the rest of the country, where land is far more expensive than the deserts of say New Mexico, the sites and campground property are much, much larger and typically built with intentional views that lend toward a feeling of having at least some privacy.
Our lesson learned: Stay in National and State Parks, BLM lands, forestry lands, etc, if possible, and visit the private campgrounds only when you need laundry and full hookups.
Now I'm sure there are some beautiful private campgrounds, and in fact we found a real surprise with the KOA in Arlington, Texas, that has been there over fifty years. In this half-century, the city built up around it, and we were so excited to find large spaces, great hospitality, paved sites, cable TV, good WiFi, concrete patios and walkways in our site leading to our own private table and four chairs, bench, fire ring, grill, and even a swing, all under a huge shade tree - but this was the rare exception.
It's funny. More and more we are becoming boon-dockers. Not out of necessity or to save money, but because we like the settings so much more.
CaptainMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:37 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Scott. We too used to have a diesel pusher and now that we're empty nesters, have moved to the diesel View. As you say, it's much easier to get into places, even towing a jeep.
Our struggle is the water and diesel tanks, which they made 15 and 24 gallon to save weight - while putting 30 gallon holding tanks and having seats that weigh over 60 pounds each (weird choices). I'm even giving thought to changing the tanks out, but would need to correspondingly reduce weight elsewhere, like those crazy heavy seats.
Some day I will start putting together some articles and videos on all our upgrades. but until then and after.... happy camping!
Mitch
CaptainMitch is offline   Reply With Quote