Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2022, 08:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Filling up fresh water tank

Hi everyone, new MM owner and thus far have been camping at sites with full hookups. I have a trip coming up which doesn't have a water hookup. I've been told traveling with your fresh water tank filled up (or any tank for that matter) isn't a good idea because 1) you're carrying a lot of weight and 2) places stress on the brackets holding the tanks. Assuming I don't want to carry a full tank during travel and the CG itself doesn't offer a place to fill, any advice on where you can fill up your fresh water tank closer to a CG?
Old 01-07-2022, 08:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I think you will find it rare that a campground doesn't have a water fill station. With one exception, all of the public campgrounds in the three state region around us in Ct have fill stations.

For the one that doesn't have a designated fill station, I use a Water Bandit made by Camco. It is a flexible rubber hose that fits around non threaded outlets such as you find scattered around the campground. The other end fits a standard hose.

There are also rustic USFS campground with no water or maybe only a pitcher pump. If it has at least a pitcher pump, i have a collapsible water jug that I can carry up to 5 gallons at a time to pour into my gravity fill port. Some RVs don't have a gravity fill port so you are out of luck unless you carry a DC water pump. Those sites don't have flush toilets and Mama has now vetoed those, so....

David
Old 01-07-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks David for the tips and the Water Bandit tip. Did some more digging and they do have water spigots scattered throughout the CG just wasn't sure if proper CG etiquette allowed for me to hook up my rig to it fill my water tank or if it was just for personal water bottle use. I also have a 5 gal tank on the way in case I need to do a manual pour.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

First, I totally agree with Dave above and find most regular campground do have water but not at the "boondock" sites. That is part of my definition of boondodk!

But as a second thought, I might throw in some thinking on feer of overloading the tanks? I have never seen nor heard of one falling out if not in a wreck or something like that. Looking around at the number of really old winnebago still running with tank in place, I feel the idea is way overblown! One of those things that is so silly but might still be found on the internet?

Yes, the weight is going to effect the gas milage some but I carry many thing that I like to use, even if they cut my milage, so one has to balance havingfun against saving mmoney and nobody ever found RV are cheap!

But if we say you do want to fill at other points, that will depend on the exact spot and how you deal with others. In my experience, if a business is near a place where folks often want water, they are used to dealing with the question and then it is a matter of PR on how the deal goes!
In my travels, you would be considered a real jerk to not let somebody have a bit of water, even if there was a small fee. Throwing out a dollar would also be considered nice but many would turn it down!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The 2100BH Micro Minnie's water tank is supported front and rear at the top (tank has a lip at the front and the rear, and each rests on an angle-iron support welded to a frame crossmember). There is also a single piece of angle-iron mounted below the coroplast that supports the tank from below (near the centerline). Unfortunately this support is pretty meager as it is held in place by self-tapping screws only. I was able to swap these out for stainless bolts (with washers and nyloc nuts) on the street side, but not on the curb side. I never had confidence in that center support, so I didn't feel comfortable traveling very far with a full water tank either. There have been one or two reports of these supports failing. I think towable units bounce more and the tank support is more critical with them (like bike racks) due to the hefty accelerations.

I used a 5-gallon water jug and the camp spigots to fill the tank manually as needed. Luckily it is a small tank and we didn't use much water.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #6

I've driven thousands of kilometres in a Mini-Winnie 25B on "highways" and "roads" in the Yukon, Alaska and the Northwest Territories. We always had full tanks of water and fuel, and spare water and fuel in case you were caught on the wrong side of the river with the ferries grounded. The tanks never gave us a worry. In fact, it is recommended by the local tourist information people to carry extra water and fuel and a spare. You will be driving by crippled tractor trailers and picking up drivers that don't have sat phones.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

It's generally on the maximum loaded weight label by the door how many pounds of water is in a full water tank, so look for that. It's engineered to handle the full weight. IMHO traveling occasionally with a full water tank is OK. It does cut into your cargo carrying capacity so be sure you don't go into overload when traveling with full water tank.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:23 PM   #8
Boondocker

We've been boondocking in our Minnie Winnie 31K for 6 years and 85,000 kms (53,000 mi) with full tanks, on all kinds of roads with no issues. Find water at gas stations, car washes, firehalls and public parks/picnic areas and arenas/community centres/firehalls. Tell them you just want to "top up" your water tank. Find dump stations on www.sanidumps.com
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I just want to remind everyone that the OP was talking about a travel trailer and not a motorized unit. They are very different products built to very different price points by separate divisions of the company. If you looked at the support under the OP’s tank and at how that support is attached to the frame, you’d probably be a bit nervous too. It does not inspire confidence.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:19 AM   #10
Boondocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I just want to remind everyone that the OP was talking about a travel trailer and not a motorized unit. They are very different products built to very different price points by separate divisions of the company. If you looked at the support under the OP’s tank and at how that support is attached to the frame, you’d probably be a bit nervous too. It does not inspire confidence.
Whoops! I thought I was reading "MH" (motorhome.) I'm not familiar with the Micro Minnie, but generally speaking... if something looks 'òff" it probably is.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water