Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
KWP
KP

East Coast Travel from Idaho

I’m traveling from Idaho to New Hampshire in November. Does anyone have any advice on what route to take and where to pull off overnight. Due to the time of year and concern of the weather, I wasn’t going to spend much time at each campsite. I have a good towing car and Micro Minnie off road tires, that I’m assuming will perform well in any weather.
KWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I did note that the New York, New Jersey, Conn. travel is going to get tough with health department meeting folks from certain hotspot states being required to register and quarantine for fourteen days on entry. It did mention meeting planes, trains, as well as auto traffic.
Certain to change before November but not likely to get better, so I would want to check all the surrounding states before making final plans.
Idaho is currently on the list.
Link to health department site:
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...BoCnFYQAvD_BwE
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
KWP
KP

East Coast Travel

Good point. Not anyway around those states except through Canada, which I think is closed to US Citizens? Will have to monitor that. Thank you.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It's still all undecided and which states will be closed or restricted for travel is certain to change by November. And since there is no uniform standard issued, it is going to be hard to say which states or which major cities will be doing what by then.
Here in Texas, with it becoming obvious that the virus is totally out of control, the governor has finally agreed to reverse his earlier ruling which prevented cities like Houston from enforcing a mask policy. At the last I picked up, both Houston and Austin will now have a $2000 fine for repeated or belligerent mask violations. But the change has come too late and now restaurants and bars will be closed again, in hopes of slowing things down.
Meanwhile the frontline folks have brought in mobile trailers to store bodies and the convention center in Austin is setting up as a hospital.
It's gonna get bad!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Get an EZ-Pass transponder for your tow vehicle! The East coast is jam packed with tolls and you'll not want to have to stop at toll booths and or relay on pay by mail.

Also, the EZ-Pass will give you a discount on all of your tolls.

You can buy an EZ-Pass at just about any state that recognizes the system, however, there are good states and bad states. Since the EZ-Pass is universal in those states you get to pick which state you want to purchase your transponder in. Some states charge monthly fees and charge a lot more for transponder's, too.

We did an internet search and found the North Carolina NC Quick Pass/EZ-Pass to be the cheapest way to go. You set up an account online, pay $7 for a transponder and deposit a little money into the account by credit card. It works not only in North Carolina but in all the EZ-Pass states, Georgia and Florida, too. As you deplete the funds on deposit they rebuild your balance automatically.

Also, pay attention to the "Peak" leaf season in the North East. It changes each year depending on the weather and that entire region fills up with "Leaf Peepers" over about a 3 to 4 week period. It is usually in October, but can be delayed in dryer, warmer years.

There is almost no way to go from Idaho to NH without going through the Chicago Nightmare. Massive tolls, bad traffic, horrible roads and it seems to go on forever. There are routes that drop way south to avoid Chi-Town that look too far out of the way. But in my experience after the last time we went through there, no road is too far away to avoid going through Chicago again.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #6
KWP
KP

East Coast Travel

Thanks for the advice on the EZPass. My family is in New England/Boston area so maybe they can buy one and ship to me?

Yeah heard that about Chicago. I’m concerned about the weather taking the northern route too.

Anyone have suggestions where to stay overnight off the highway?

Thank you!
KP
Old 07-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWP View Post
Thanks for the advice on the EZPass. My family is in New England/Boston area so maybe they can buy one and ship to me?
You'll do much better ordering the NC QuckPass online and having it sent to you in Idaho before you go.

Just saw you are in Victor. We lived in Jackson from 2000 until 2005. My daughter graduated from Jackson HS. We lived just south of the town. Of course, we went through Drigs and Victor all the time.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #8
KWP
KP

Cool. thanks the the pass info. That’s what I’ll do.

We moved to Jackson in 2006 and my daughter graduated JHH in 2009. Small world!
Old 07-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWP View Post
Cool. thanks the the pass info. That’s what I’ll do.

We moved to Jackson in 2006 and my daughter graduated JHH in 2009. Small world!
Yes, isn't it? We lived in Melody Ranch. Loved it there, but it's a tough place to live. The house we bought in Jackson has more then doubled in price since we purchased it on 2000.

Tags
east coast, travel