Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-19-2023, 07:25 PM   #1
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

EAA Oshkosh Wisconsin or bust.

Hello all. We are about 4 months away from a huge aviation event in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The Experimental Aviation Associations big show. I’m. Just starting my planning to go there. But, we have a month to burn up getting there.

We are leaving osoyoos bc with lots of time to spare. A month. I’ve started looking at places we have to see. Like, Tetons, Mnt Rushmore, Yellowstone etc. but it’s a crap load of information. Oh, did I mention diners driving and dives? We want to keep them in our plans too. I digress.

Today I read about thirty pages of info on doing Yellowstone. East gate, west gate etc. a lot has been said about RV friendly routes. It’s great information.

But, there is always a but. We want to continue eastward after Yellowstone. So my questions

Best way in and out of Yellowstone but heading east after?
Other sites you think we “must see” heading towards Wisconsin?
If you had a month, where would you go?

We are fine boondocking, harvest boasting etc, we can easily do 8 days dry so?

Thanks very much in advance.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:29 PM   #2
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Sorry, I’m also going to…

Post this in IRV2. Just an fyi.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:39 PM   #3
Site Team

There are a couple of ways East from Yellowstone but at least a couple of destinations from there that should not be missed.

From the East Gate you head to Cody, WY. A great place with all manner of things to see. Best is the large Western Art Museum. It’s three museums all in one place. From there you can travel north to Red Lodge, Montana. Beautiful area.

Also, north out of the Gardner entrance you travel through Paradise Valley, with majestic beauty and ranch’s owned by movie stars and rock stars, to Livingston, MT.

Once up to Interstate 90 going East check out the Little Bighorn Monument (Custer’s Last Stand), then Devils Tower National Monument, then the Black Hills area with a month’s worth of stuff to see there. Such as Deadwood, Custer, Mount Rushmore and Bad Lands National Park.

I’ve been to all these places and they are all legendary visits to include on your trip.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I guess you are going to have to decide which route to Wisconsin you are taking. I94 and side Highways or I90 and side HWYS. South Dakota has alot to see on the western side of the state, Mitchell has the corn palace. Not to familiar with North Dakota. If northern route Bemidji Minnesota is a great place with lots to do. The head waters of the Mississippi River is up there.

Like you said you have alot of choices, I think a month will fly by really fast once you start. Do not over think, have driven by Oshkosh twice when the fly in is in progress. Its something to see along with all the campers!

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:42 AM   #5
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Good info. Please keep it coming

Creative parts and yes, I’ll be happy thanks for the info.

I did this trip once before but while working so we did the trip there and back in 4 or 5 days each way. Now that I’m retired I’m taking my time. As for Osh. EAA flying, don’t drive by come early and enjoy. I’ve been to a lot of big air shows and this one always has the most one of a kind aircraft still flying or being built/restored.

But I digress, I’m thinking about joining harvest host because I hear a lot of their sites are not mega size and can be a bit off the highways. I like that idea.

I’ve listed the places you all have mentioned. I had not thought of clusters last stand nor the birth place of the mighty Mississippi (spelled it right the first time. Even as a Canadian they are very interesting and historical.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2023, 01:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Trust me the Little Big Horn Battlefield is not to be missed. It’s a Federal Monument part of the National Park Service and done really well. Telling the story of the battle from both sides.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

That will be an amazing adventure! It's been a long time since we visited that area, but do remember a couple good campgrounds...Yellowstone Grizzly right near the west gate, cool little town, too and the KOA right at the entrance to Devils Tower. Back in sites on the one side give you a great tower view! Would not wait too long to book any site near a NP, they fill up fast. And the best advice we ever got was to be "done by one". The crowds are massive...be safe and have a blast!
Old 03-20-2023, 07:13 PM   #8
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Here's the Triptic so far

Thanks for the suggestions. Im going to put them all into a BCAA/AAA Triptic and figure them out later.

If I end up with long days I might ask for suggestions within a couple of cities.

I was thinking while doing this that in 1980 my wife and I drove a Toyota Pickup across Canada with a small canopy on the back. We had a BCAA/AAA booklet of road maps to follow. We told them where we wanted to go and they provided a city by city, turn by turn colour printed map. How times have changed.

Here is a screen capture
Attached Files
File Type: pdf junk.pdf (464.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #9
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

This is great and appreciated. I've added Glacier NP into Triptic so we are going to stay on the CDN side until we can drop down into GNP. It looks like a very doable area Re: driving there and around, in and out.

My next question is for those of you that have done Yellowstone. Between the IRV2 site and the Winnebago owners site I have been getting lots of info and I've setup a very basic route. However, Triptic doesn't want to drive through the park to get to the other side. I can rearrange it but i thought i would post it and see if i should be using some particular route that is most RV friendly then force the Trip tic to do what i want later.

Having said al that could anyone give me some advice on the route in and out?

Thanks in advance and screen capture is attached.

BTW, also posted on IRV2
Attached Files
File Type: pdf junk.pdf (484.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-01-2023, 02:42 PM   #10
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Another route question

It looks like the best route so far is for us to stay in Canada until heading south to Glacier NP. I've included a Triptic image of the section.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on taking HWY 6 or 5/2/86 to head south on.

Triptic is sending me north on HWY 5 then south on 2 and rt86. But HWY 6 looks way shorter (I'm cautious when i see this. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks in advance.
Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf triptic hwy5_6.pdf (354.3 KB, 36 views)