Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I've travailed with the CPAP and always used the 12v outlet in the back of the machine. I used the 120v outlet the first week or so until I noticed a small 12v socket in the back of the machine. Using a DC adapter I now use the 12v outlet next to the bed with no problems at all. Dry camping is no problem for days as the machine draws very little wattage.
Flagstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #22

Good report, Flag.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Some CPAP machines actually use only 12 volt motors. This 12 volt power is supplied by the large in-line box on the power cord you plug into your wall outlet. Obtain a proper terminal which plugs into your CPAP, wire a pair of 14 gauge insulated wires (or 'lamp cord') into it and to a lighter power out plug, OBSERVING POLARITY, and use your lighter outlet for dry-camping. Sleep tight!
mogul264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:37 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

My cpap is 24volt. I got a 12-24 volt converter cord from cpap usa. I either use with house battery or plug into my jump start unit. A 12volt male plug and alligator connections are supplied with converter cord. I turn off humidifier.
Example of load on my cpap
Resmed air10 autoset,24vdc,3.75amp
Ip22

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/articles/198103_battery-guide_glo_eng.pdf

13-20 ah without humidifier
25-35 ah with humid 8hr period
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

I've been in the RV with CPAP since '06 and it was fairly simple until now. With our new V24D weight is a big factor and the refrigerator uses the battery power during the night when boon docked, on the road or in dry camp. Now I'm facing a choice of taking along another battery (more weight), replacing the stupid refrigerator, stuffing batteries in larger than the T-105s I used to replace the dinky OEMs WGO installed. The old CPAP was 12VDC, now most are 24VDC, like my air10 unit. The new unit is smaller, quieter and overall I like it better but stupid again to go to 24VDC and not standard 12VDC. Converter wastes energy just like the inverter, so buying the converter is not really smart although it will work. Now I'm thinking the only way to go in a new View is to buy a CoachHouse
or any unit with a traditional absorption fridge so the power is available for the CPAP and normal "stuff". Really kicking myself many times for being stupid enough to buy this new View from WGO, I should have known better with 20 years experience doing this and making all the mistakes along the way. What I'm seriously thinking is lithium battery pack. Now I've got to decide on converting the whole RV to lithium - major dollars, building a small battery pack for the cpap and a charger unit or simply putting this WGO up for sale at 5 months of ownership or trading for a CoachHouse 261XL- QD. The trade will be the most expensive but will get rid of a bunch of headaches including the stupid refrigerator, bad A/C unit which is failing again (two in 5 months?), and countless other failures in this View. We have been on one short trip in 5 months and it is going back to the shop next week for the A/C and replacement solar panel. I do NOT think we will ever get to camp in this rig, much less power a CPAP. Overall the worst RV I have owned in 20 years. Beautiful like some things but deadly to the joy of RV life, a killer.

Seriously there are some great videos and literature on building your own lithium power bank which is feasible for the CPAP regardless of RV constraints. It was never a problem until we got this RV and I never really considered it but if this rig ever is suitable for camping the little custom built lithium power supply and charger is the only reasonable way. My initial list of parts shows around $300 in a small plastic tackle box. That is about the cost of an AGM battery and converter alternative but a lot lighter and it should last forever (that's a short time at my age). Yes, you can buy a battery pack exclusive to your CPAP unit but cheaper to pick up a 12 to 24vdc converter and an AGM battery. Then all you need to do is recharge the AGM every day, just make a charge port. Yeah, the little things can add up. Word of advice - do not consider a unit with compressor fridge unless you bargain for a good fridge and a lithium battery bank with all the controls etc.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtime2 View Post
My cpap is 24volt. I got a 12-24 volt converter cord from cpap usa. I either use with house battery or plug into my jump start unit. A 12volt male plug and alligator connections are supplied with converter cord. I turn off humidifier.
Example of load on my cpap
Resmed air10 autoset,24vdc,3.75amp
Ip22

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/docume...de_glo_eng.pdf

13-20 ah without humidifier
25-35 ah with humid 8hr period

Great link you provided, the battery guide: https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/docume...de_glo_eng.pdf
As you browse down the document there is a listing show just how many amp hours each model will consume in 8 hours, both with the heater(s) turned off and with them turned on.

Helps confirm my reporting of about 1amp draw for my wife's ResMed CPAP with the heater turned off.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #27

Thirty-five amps overnight is very reachable on battery power, rvtime. Good solution.

Kayak, T125s are the same size as T105s. Would the extra 15 amp hours in the T125s do it for you?
Old 06-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
I've been in the RV with CPAP since '06 and it was fairly simple until now. With our new V24D weight is a big factor and the refrigerator uses the battery power during the night when boon docked, on the road or in dry camp. Now I'm facing a choice of taking along another battery (more weight), replacing the stupid refrigerator, stuffing batteries in larger than the T-105s I used to replace the dinky OEMs WGO installed. The old CPAP was 12VDC, now most are 24VDC, like my air10 unit. The new unit is smaller, quieter and overall I like it better but stupid again to go to 24VDC and not standard 12VDC. Converter wastes energy just like the inverter, so buying the converter is not really smart although it will work. Now I'm thinking the only way to go in a new View is to buy a CoachHouse
or any unit with a traditional absorption fridge so the power is available for the CPAP and normal "stuff". Really kicking myself many times for being stupid enough to buy this new View from WGO, I should have known better with 20 years experience doing this and making all the mistakes along the way. What I'm seriously thinking is lithium battery pack.......................
Replacing your current house batteries with lithium would be less expensive than selling your RV to buy a new one.

Here is a link to Starlight Solar in Yuma, AZ, a reliable solar provider and installer: Lithium Ion Battery For RV and Boat - LiFePO4 LFP - Starlight Solar
They offer a BlueLight drop in lithium battery which is reported to be compatable with your standard charging system.

For more info: Lifeblue Lithium Ion Deep Cycle Battery for RV - Boat - Energy Storage
I have no financial relationship with Starlight. I did buy a lithium battery kit from them in Jan 2016 and have been happy with what I bought and the phone support from Starlight. The kit was not a simple put the parts together system. You have to do quite a bit of planning and thinking to put it all together.

I bought 400AH package of the 100AH Elite Power Solutions batteries. I also have 650watts of solar. GBS 100AH Cells
You will need more that the 200watts of solar, or run your generator for an hour or two each day.

One big advantage with lithium is they charge much faster than lead acid (including AGM) and there is no need to get the lithium to 100% as you do lead acid. In fact it is better if you only charge lithium to about 93% full than going to 100%. You can also take lithium down to 75%-80% discharged w/o damage.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the links! I agree of course installing lithium is far less expensive than trading rigs, especially considering CH prices! I have looked at several packages, I like the 400AH package as well. Problem is they need to mount somewhere else like the front storage bay and rerun a bunch of cables, all doable though. The under step battery storage in the View does not take the Width of most of these batteries in a standard configuration. If I take my time and do it myself I suppose about $3800 for a 400AH pack installed with a lot of special made cables and bus bars then I can add another panel on top for 300watts of solar. The roof of the View is pretty limited. Then perhaps the packs could be configured to fit the width of the existing battery storage with imagination. Best bet is to stop off at the shop when we head west - assuming the rig is repaired
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

These batteries aren't cheap but they're getting some good reviews from the ham radio community:

https://www.bioennopower.com/

I don't have any personal experience with these but I trust Gordon West who is featuring Bioenno on this Ham Nation podcast starting at about 3 min into it:

https://twit.tv/shows/ham-nation/episodes/297
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
Thanks for the links! I agree of course installing lithium is far less expensive than trading rigs, especially considering CH prices! I have looked at several packages, I like the 400AH package as well. Problem is they need to mount somewhere else like the front storage bay and rerun a bunch of cables, all doable though. The under step battery storage in the View does not take the Width of most of these batteries in a standard configuration. If I take my time and do it myself I suppose about $3800 for a 400AH pack installed with a lot of special made cables and bus bars then I can add another panel on top for 300watts of solar. The roof of the View is pretty limited. Then perhaps the packs could be configured to fit the width of the existing battery storage with imagination. Best bet is to stop off at the shop when we head west - assuming the rig is repaired
Check on the dates Starlight is in open. They close for the summer. Not many RV'ers there from April to October.
BTW, lithium can be installed inside the RV if you have a spot. No need for ventilation. It is heat sensitive (over about 120 degrees, reduced life) and no charging if the battery is below freezing. OK to discharge down to around -10 to -20 degrees.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #32

IMO Lithium RV batteries are just not yet cost effective. May never be.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:22 AM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Regarding a CPAP machine, I just can't see spending all the extra dollars for AGM and/or lithium battery systems. My 4 Costco golf cart batteries give me well over 400 ah, and considering a 35 ah CPAP draw overnight is just not a factor. My last set of 4 that cost $75 each then, lasted 6 years. One year into my new set so far, yes, cost was up to $85 each now, not really that much of a change.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

The recommendation for lithium batteries was specific to the situation where the poster has a Class C with an electric refrigerator and using a CPAP, combined with limited space for extra batteries. In this instance lithium would be a very viable solution. Also they were considering selling a brand new RV to get rid of the elect fridge (as well as because they were have other problems). Much less expensive to put lithium in than to sell or trade in a new RV.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
IMO Lithium RV batteries are just not yet cost effective. May never be.

This statement is not much different than: "Buying and maintaining an expensive RV is not and may never be as cost effective as staying in motels and eating in restaurants."

Quote:
Journey39n Regarding a CPAP machine, I just can't see spending all the extra dollars for AGM and/or lithium battery systems. My 4 Costco golf cart batteries give me well over 400 ah, and considering a 35 ah CPAP draw overnight is just not a factor. My last set of 4 that cost $75 each then, lasted 6 years. One year into my new set so far, yes, cost was up to $85 each now, not really that much of a change.
I agree that for your situation upgrading to lithium is not worth the expense. The standard golf cart batteries work just fine. I am a very strong advocate for golf cart batteries, like you have, for most people.

However for those of us who extensively boondock or dry camp and our daily power requirements are close to or exceeding 50% of the total amp hour (AH) capacity of our battery pack, lithium is a very viable solution.

Some of us have fairly large power requirements and at times go for weeks or months between electric hookups. Additionally there are limits, both space and weight limits which make it very difficult to put in enough golf cart batteries to handle the daily power requirements.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #36

My RVing habit is not cost effective? lol
Old 06-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
My RVing habit is not cost effective? lol
Nothing was said about "your" RV'ing habit not being cost effective.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Having a View myself, I understand the space issues he is facing. It is a manor of priorities and needs against physical and monetary limits. In this case the roof is limited in solar space and he is maximizing that. The batteries are his current limit. The View has space and load carry limits. I maxed the battery space with 300 amp/Hr storage and used a lot of carry capacity. There is no where to put 400 amp/hr lead acid on a View. Once it is determined that 400 is needed the only option is lithium because of size and weight. Charging will not be an issue with solar plus a little generator current or on shore power. Good job. I think he has a good plan. Storing that battery under the sink solves the few issues about lithium.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #39
Winnie-Wise

My statement on buying expensive batteries and charging systems was only related to CPAP usage at night. Not to call into question anyone's choice to meet their particular RV needs.

It is obvious that there are a variety of ways that folks use their RV's from occasional weekend travel to full timing, both at luxury parks and austere boondocking. For us, we have found a happy medium with occasional boondocking, mostly low budget rural parks, and once in a while at some pretty nice deluxe rv parks.

I am a tech related sort of a guy, with 40 years experience developing non-standard solutions to problems. I always enjoy hearing about others that take on the challenge to adapting technology to their RV lifestyle. Much of it may not be related to what I need, but still interesting to follow their solutions and results.

That is what we find to be great with the RV life style. It doesn't matter how fancy a rig you might have, where you might park it, or how you have it set up, we are all are doing the same basic thing, just doing it differently to suit our life choices.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #40

"Not to call into question anyone's choice to meet their particular RV needs."

Journey, I enjoy your comments whether I agree with them or not! Please keep posting. Reserve battery capacity is desired by all of us with or without a needed CPAP.

Tags
camping