Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Veteran & RV Owner

Canadian Border Restriction Extended to Oct 21st

Just saw on TV that Canada has extended their border restrictions to Oct 21st. So, I guess the Canadian Snow Birds are left in limbo even though winter weather is closing in fast!
Old 09-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yep! We have friends who would like to come down, but can't.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It was leaked out by an 'unauthorized' source...that the Canadian Fed's will be keeping the Canada/USA border closed until July 1/2021. They will use the ploy of each month...'extending' just as they have done....until that month, next year. The Feds, see clearly that Canadians do NOT want the international border opening up...and with C19 cases (in Ontario) now spiking again, through the 400's per day...nobody would expect Ontario to open up the border to Michigan, New York, or Vermont. And...not with a Federal Government (with a minority standing), that can be brought down at any time by a non-confidence vote by the other two political Parties...

Yep...month to month (staying closed)...I guess to next year...possibly.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Well, actually they can...but only through flying...and they could then rent out an R.V. for this year's Winter get-away. So...yes...they can...but not with their own rig driven down South.....
Old 09-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes, they know about flying.

Kind of strange but I guess Canadians don't spread the virus when flying, eh?
Old 09-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Yes, they know about flying.

Kind of strange but I guess Canadians don't spread the virus when flying, eh?
Of course...and allowing anybody to fly, but to not drive, is an absolute joke..and only to placate the Airline Industry.

You wouldn't catch us inside a sealed tube for two or three hours of people hacking and blowing their nose around us, as they lift off their masks to do so, and then touch any surface on that plane, with their fingers and palms, dribbling and moist, with their body particulate...in this day and age. We'll drive,,..pull our condo on wheels, or simply stay home.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
Of course...and allowing anybody to fly, but to not drive, is an absolute joke..and only to placate the Airline Industry. .
I've said from the beginning that allowing people to fly allows the spread of the virus. During the Spanish Flu it was soldiers moving about that spread it around the world, this time it's airplanes.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Site Team

So you're saying that driving in Florida this winter won't be as bad as normal? Most Canadians that come to my area don't speed so the traffic sometimes gets backed up behind them.

On a serious note, I didn't know this was an issue until I saw a post on IRV2 this morning. That's going to be extremely difficult for some of them this winter.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
So you're saying that driving in Florida this winter won't be as bad as normal? Most Canadians that come to my area don't speed so the traffic sometimes gets backed up behind them.

On a serious note, I didn't know this was an issue until I saw a post on IRV2 this morning. That's going to be extremely difficult for some of them this winter.
Life is going to be extremely difficult for most everybody this winter and likely next year as well! So far most jobs have continued on as the money is still flowing out of the fed, but that is going to stop here in October and that is when the real loss of jobs begins as the airlines have already announced.
If we were only concerned with looking at the stock markets as THE total of economics, things are well covered up but the band-aid is about to be ripped off and it's not going to be pretty!
You can't kill a quarter million customers and avoid some loss of business, can you? Closing the borders to Canada and Mexico is just a bit of inconvenience compared to what's coming.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have a place in a park in FL. None of the Canadians are allowed to come to the park without a 14 day quarantine. It is going to be a big problem with the park rules.

It is too bad that the road borders are closed, as that would let many people visit with what I think is less risk. In your own RV, only gas stops absolutely necessary. And a grocery or Walmart on occasion.

San Francisco Bay Area
Old 09-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

And we ask why we can't just use our best judgement and do the right thing?
Some recent examples:
https://nypost.com/2020/09/21/corona...maine-airport/
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...ne/5220703002/
https://www.kmbc.com/article/covid-1...2020/34109507#
Bikefest Lake of the Ozarks

Because we do not use good sense if we feel we want to do something else!
Anybody who has dealt with the public very much knows we can't be trusted!
Old 09-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Canadian health insurance

The most powerful reason Canadians are not coming to the U.S., is that they can not get travel health insurance coverage in the U.S. due to covid 19. Same problems Americans are going to have when leaving our country. Insurance companies are not going to cover Covid 19 due to how expensive the hospital charges are.

If traveling out of country, you really should have a policy covering it. The example that got my attention was a friend who was in Israel and had a heart attack and had heart surgery. The Israel government took away his passport and would not allow him to leave until he paid the $350,000 bill. So don't think you can escape the country and the bill by returning to the USA.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I thought Canada closed it's border to us because they got a much better handle on Covid-19 (just like any other 1st World nation) and don't want us to make it worst. If I was Canadian why would I want to go to Florida of all places?

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Well I guess the desert land in Quartzsite AZ won’t be crowed in January 2021.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Morich has it right. There are simply too many Americans who believe their uneducated opinions and solid belief in conspiracy theories from false experts prevails over people who are actually trained in epidemiology. Absolutely nothing will change their minds so we're going to be stuck dealing with this coronavirus many more months, maybe even another year.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

It’s not Canada that has closed the border to Canadians ..it is the US and Canada closing the border in both directions to essential travel and to non residents/citizens.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

And why would Canada want to open up to the US when their situation is much much worse!
Old 09-28-2020, 03:09 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Morich has it right. There are simply too many Americans who believe their uneducated opinions and solid belief in conspiracy theories from false experts prevails over people who are actually trained in epidemiology. Absolutely nothing will change their minds so we're going to be stuck dealing with this coronavirus many more months, maybe even another year.
There seems to be 'unauthorized' leaks that Canada has no intention of opening up the border to the USA, no sooner than July 1rst/2021..and THAT even will be 'revisited' on a monthly basis, as it is now. I think a lot of what you think, is also behind that decision. It seems in the U.S.A, that people have politicized the control and spread of C19....and Canada wants no part of that.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:11 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMA View Post
It’s not Canada that has closed the border to Canadians ..it is the US and Canada closing the border in both directions to essential travel and to non residents/citizens.
Yes, but each country has the right to KEEP the border to their sovereign lands closed to non-essential travel. To open the border, would have to be unilateral.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #20
Itasca Sunstar Owner

As a Canadian living in a border city I am glad to see the borders closed for now. The reason for the closure is to try to contain the virus and keep it under control. Unfortunately our American neighbours are having a hard time controlling the virus and even here in Canada we are seeing increases in cases.
The border will likely remain closed until the virus is controlled or there is a vaccine.

As for the snowbirds...many are flocking to the Vancouver area or parts of B.C. that has a milder climate. Others are renting short term apartments.