Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if you are going to put Chlorine in the system to sanitize it. Then dumping that from the tank will require some caution on your part, as it will kill grass </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most of the time, the water from the hydrant will have chlorine in it -- it doesn't kill the grass. I don't think what you dump/flush from your fresh tank is going to kill the grass unless you have it far more concentrated than you are likely to have in your water tank. Whatever, there normally is no grass under the RV where your fresh tank should dump.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if you are going to put Chlorine in the system to sanitize it. Then dumping that from the tank will require some caution on your part, as it will kill grass </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most of the time, the water from the hydrant will have chlorine in it -- it doesn't kill the grass. I don't think what you dump/flush from your fresh tank is going to kill the grass unless you have it far more concentrated than you are likely to have in your water tank. Whatever, there normally is no grass under the RV where your fresh tank should dump. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The amount of bleach required to quick sanitize a tank will indead leave quite a brown spot if one follows National Sanitary Foundation guidelines. The superchlorination rates for the Everpure water filter systems and others that use a superchlorination/dechlorination process probably won't have that much effect although grass that is already suffering may turn brown.

The NSF guidlines for sanitizining water tanks I believe are:

Overnight santization - 1/4 cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity.

Quick santization - 1/2 cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity.

For a 100 gallon tank we are talking 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups of bleach not just a few capfulls and a many times stronger solution than one gets from a houshold tap. If you showered with this amount of chlorine in the system you could end up in the hospital emergency room.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:32 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

AF Chap: WRONG: been there done that. I use one half cup to 15 gallons of water. It will most certainly turn grass brown. I think even 1/4 cup to 15 gallon will do damage to grass. It probably is not permanent damage, but then it is not my grass in an RV Park, so caution is IMHO is reasonable.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I would caution you about dumping the water tank on a grassy site only because that amount of water could wash out the under strength of the site and you could sink your MH into the ground.
We drained ours into the sandy soil over in St. Petersburg, FL once and when we went to pull out the next day the MH sunk to the axle.
Thank God for Good Sam ERS. Wrecker pulled us out, no damage.
I wait till we are on a paved slab to drain the tank, which we do about once a month.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">WRONG: been there done that. I use one half cup to 15 gallons of water. It will most certainly turn grass brown </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ok, I hear you ... since our rig is in constant use we don't do the sanitize thing much. When I did, I used 1 1/2 tsp of Sodium Dichlor (hot tub chlorinating crystals) rather than bleach.

So I guess that brown spot by the curb where my WH drained when I sanitized after storage in 2004 was due to chlorine rather than the RV anti-freeze as I assumed!