Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

California Rt 15 to Las Vegas

we are planning a trip that would take us on rt 15 from Huntington Beach Ca. to Las Vegas. at the a laundry-mat the other day a truck driver told DW that our 2002 35u Adventure ford v-10 pulling an Escape would not make the pull. now she is all paranoid and wants to go a different way. I say he was full of hot air and just blowing off. I remember it is a long climb, but we did it a few years ago with our 30 ft class c with a 460 not pulling the toad, but I remember the engine temp did not even rise. if you have traveled that road tell me your experience to calm DW's nerves.
btw it will be the end of march, so I do not think the outside temp will be a factor.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't know of any Interstate highway that would be a problem for your rig performance wise. Many of them have more challenging parts than I15.

Go for it.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Unless your rig is in awful shape; If you can climb the Grapevine North or South either way then you can climb anything on I-15 Huntington Beach to Vegas. Pull it in low if you want sit back and relax. I have pulled a 10% grade that way in my 8.1/allison combo---V-10 should be up to it fine. going down the 10% backside was interesting.

The grade from Upland to Hesperia junction is what 6-7%----? You get those all over the place---it's an Interstate not a obstacle course. I don't know anything else he would be talking about.

I think the driver was just having some fun. Plenty of other routes to Vegas----they all have hills.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I've traveled the I15 from San Diego to Las Vegas several times and you should have no problem. There is a long pull north of Baker but just take it slow, gear down and relax.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like the Truck Driver was blowing a lot of smoke you know where...The V-10 will pull you over the Grand Tetons over and over with out a deep breath...Don't listen to Nay Sayers...you have a great engine that can go anywhere.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
I've traveled the I15 from San Diego to Las Vegas several times and you should have no problem. There is a long pull north of Baker but just take it slow, gear down and relax.

Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabfado View Post
Sounds like the Truck Driver was blowing a lot of smoke you know where...The V-10 will pull you over the Grand Tetons over and over with out a deep breath...Don't listen to Nay Sayers...you have a great engine that can go anywhere.
Well Sir,
We just sold our '99 Bounder, (275 HP) 34V with the V-10 and Banks equipped. Now, I will say, no matter who tells you what, the V-10 is a good motor, has some very good stamina but, it's not the most powerful power plant in these coaches. The later ones, with the 365 HP, are considerably better. Yes, our Bounder had its struggles but, never let us down. The grade from the bottom there in San Bernardino to the top at Hesperia/Apple Valley is a pretty serious grade but, we've done it, 14 years in a row, on our way to the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab UT, with the Bounder towing 7 different Jeeps. The two grades outside of Baker are long and, I'm not sure what percent they are but, we usually do it around 40-45 mph and sometimes in and out of the truck lane.

Yes, your rig will make it just fine. You won't be the fastest in those sections but, you'll make it without issues. I'm not sure why the Truck driver expressed what he did but, to date, there's no carcass's of dead motor homes on that stretch of I-15 to Vegas that I know of.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Even my '88 makes it, no problem. Day, night, winter or summer.
Have a good trip, try to bring back some Vegas $$$$......FAT CHANCE!
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Cajon Pass and Baker Grade

I've towed many times up both of them with no problems. My theory that works for me for any grade is:
#1 Take your time as it doesnt matter if it takes 23 minutes or 30 minutes.
#2 I would never tow up Baker Grade in the summer, I plan around it, its normally just too hot for everything
#3 Don't worry about going too slow, do what your rig will handle, thats why its called the slow lane.Use your flashers if you want to be real safe
#4 When you have to down shift, pull the gear lever into that gear so you don't worry about it shifting when you don't want it to, slow down a little and don't over tach the engine. If you end up in first gear chugging along, thats ok, just apply enough throttle to keep it under your redline, watch your mirrors and gauges closely and take it to the top. Good time to not anwser phone, turn off stereo and pay attention to what your rig might be wanting to tell you. Works everytime for me and taking care of the transmission is of upmost importance in my book.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You will encounter Cajon Pass and Mountain Pass. Shouldn't have a problem. As I recall, the interstate system was designed for grades of no more than 6% but I am probably wrong.
Richard
Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

The two big climbs from Socal to Vegas on I-15 are Cajon Pass and Baker Grade. Both start at less than 1,000 and top out over 4,100. We've done it many times with our Cummins ISB 350 in our 26,000 lb rig towing a 2,600 lb Scion with no problem, except twice last summer when we had a bad fan clutch that caused us to overheat. Even then, we were able to keep the coolant temp below 220 by slowing down to 35 to 45 mph and downshifting to keep engine revs around 2,500 rpm. just remember if you drop under 45 mph, use your emergency flashers - you'll have plenty of truck traffic keeping you company!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

We had an 01 Adventurer 35U towing 5500 lbs. Done that route many times, winter and summer with no problem. the one thing about the V-10, it is made to rap out, so don't let 4K RPM scare you pulling those grades in 2nd gear. I never took it over 4K rpm, just settled for the speed it would do at that rate. I drove that unit to 82K mi. and when traded it in, it was flawless as far as the drive train goes.

Tags
california