Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2023, 02:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Boondocking etiquette

While we have been rving for what seems like decades, we just acquired our first motorhome a 2018 vista 27PE. as I said not really newbies to camping but definitely new to boondocking.
My main question is there any “standard etiquette when boondocking other than the obvious, not setting up like your camping and trying to stay out of the way, asking permission.
I know one thing I’ve read is to not put out slides, as some may know the 27PE bed is in the back slide and only usable if the slide is out.
My question is that a cardinal no-no when staying at the occasional Cracker Barrel?

Thanks!
Rkice14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
i initially thought you meant boondocking in wide open spaces.

as for over night parking at wally, truck stops, CB, etc the first “rule” is always ask permission first! never assume ONP is permitted because you saw it was ok online or someone told you it was ok. never assume.

you’re right in not putting out chairs, grills, awnings, etc. when we did ONP we always parked where we were told and usually managed to park in such a way so the slide was over grass or up against a wall or fence.

the spaces at CB are pretty narrow to begin with. you might try for a space where the bed slide won’t impede traffic or their business or where it won’t be damaged. if not possible then either sleep as best you can or move on.

good luck.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you have to put it out , then do , But do it in such a way that you are not empeding travel or might be damage . You are there just to overnight .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Spending the night at Cracker Barrel, Walmart, etc is not really Boondocking. They are not out in the “boondocks.” Not even “dry camping” because it’s not really even camping.

I’d call it “overnighting” but not sure that’s correct. What is the proper terminology?

We have overnighted at Walmart only once when we got stuck with no other choice. And we do stay at Harvest Hosts. But otherwise we just pay for a campsite.

If you need to extend a slide to sleep, and we do, I guess the thing to do is to park so that the slide extends into an open space away from all traffic and away from walkways, etc.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

“Lot docking” at Cracker Barrel suits us real well. There’s lots of them along our travel routes, and they make a good place to stop for the night when you can’t reach your destination in a one day drive. IMO, they are safer, quieter, more convenient access from interstates, and you can get a good meal there. We’ve done it 50 or more times, and if arriving at CB early enough (5pm) we have always been able to find a place in the rear next to a curb, or at an island next to a curb where we could put out our slide. You don’t have to ask permission from manager to stay, as long as they are listed on campground guides as permissible for overnight stay, and they have RV spaces. We avoid Walmart like the plague. Too many late night transitories, lots of noise, not as safe as CB, hard to find a place to extend slide, and you do have to ask permisssion.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sorry for using the wrong terminology as I said were really new to having truly self contained rv.

My hope is to do some actual boondocking in the future. I looks like there are limited options for BLM land in or around North Georgia. When I finally get to retire I’m looking forward to exploring some “off the grid” camping.

Thanks for reassuring the correct etiquette about “lot docking”. We have lot docked on our way back south from picking up the new to us rig and don’t want to be guilty of anything that would put the practice in a bad light.

Thank
Rkice14 is offline   Reply With Quote