Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

BLM fee based camping

I have always considered "boondocking" to be free camping on BLM land and am not sure that staying at a BLM location that charges the standard $42 fee for a 14 day stay is really still boondocking. I mention this because I posted this same question on the boondocking section of another forum but am not sure that is the proper place for it. Given that I decided to post it here as well. If you see both, that is the reason for this post.

We do a fair amount of "boondocking" near where we live, but all of that is in free BLM camping areas. We have not stayed in any of the BLM land that charges for a 2 week stay, but are heading to Yuma, AZ and the only BLM land that I know of in the area charges with a maximum stay of 14 days, so I have a question or two. Or three.

When you stay at a fee based BLM campground do you get a specific location? And have to stay in that location? I assume there are no "sites" in these places so I refer to the camping spot as a location.

Can you leave and come back during that 14 day period? Or do you have to stay camped? If you can leave, do you have to come back to the same location? Or can you use any place in the open area?

If you are leaving and plan to come back that day, do you mark your location? And if you end up in another location how does the local host know you have paid? By your tag number? Or do you get some receipt?

I just don't know how this all works on BLM land where there are charges. Because we are going to Yuma and planning to go to Los Algodones we either will be towing a car (in which case most of these questions are moot) or just with our RV. If we don't take a car we will have to be driving to the border each day for several days and thus need to leave any location we are camped at, and so I need to know something about the way things work.

Thanks for any help.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Near Yuma there is a mixture of free, 14 day stay limit areas and areas where you need to pay a fee to access that area.

From my perspective, I view boondocking as "parking your RV out in areas with no facilities, no designated camping spot, no fire pits, picnic tables, etc.

I believe the BLM area even those that charge a fee to access and area to park your RV.

The key here is you pay to access an area and you get to park wherever you would like to park.

If you do an internet search for "arizona long term blm camping" you will get several hit with detailed info.

Going to https://www.campendium.com/
you should find many details about the different areas, free and fee based areas.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Near Yuma there is a mixture of free, 14 day stay limit areas and areas where you need to pay a fee to access that area.

From my perspective, I view boondocking as "parking your RV out in areas with no facilities, no designated camping spot, no fire pits, picnic tables, etc.

I believe the BLM area even those that charge a fee to access and area to park your RV.

The key here is you pay to access an area and you get to park wherever you would like to park.

If you do an internet search for "arizona long term blm camping" you will get several hit with detailed info.

Going to https://www.campendium.com/
you should find many details about the different areas, free and fee based areas.
If you are paying a fee how do you prove that you have paid? Do you get some mirror hanger that has an expiration date like you do in most State and Federal campgrounds? Is there always a host who takes your information?
Old 11-01-2020, 04:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The fee areas are well defined and there is a registration building, basically a wooden portable building to pay your fee and get a tag. The one we viewed was Imperial Dam LTVA. The registration area was near the dump station and potable water stations.

If you go to Google Maps and search for: 32.901364, -114.494436 then view "street view images" you will see the dump & water station as well as the near by registration building.

Again in Google Maps using the satellite view you can view the boondocking areas that extend for a few miles to the west and north west of the registration/dump area. You basically drive on the paved road and then turn off on to any of the gravel roads to an unoccupied gravel place you want to stay at.

Here is a link to a BLM map of the Southern CA & AZ LTVA areas: https://www.blm.gov/documents/arizon...m-frequently-0

If you do an internet search for BLM LTVA you will find links to more info. Or search for BLM LTVA "camping" or "rules" as well.

I think you would enjoy this area more if you have a toad. Trying to explore the areas, especially down gravel or dirt roads is not something I like to do in an RV

In 2017 we stayed in the area in one of the free 14 day stay areas so don't have actual experience with the LTVA.

We spent several days at the Mittry Lake area. Specifically up on a level raised area with nice views at 32.815755, -114.474097 If you go to Google Maps and search for that GPS location and then go to the Street view 360 degree view you will see what it looks like.

We also enjoyed several days in the KOFA road area along King Rd: 33.253611, -114.224331 The first 2-3 miles have verizon cell reception. If you want piece and quiet, continue SW along the road for another 2-5 miles for boondocking spots with no one else around.

If you are interested in meeting up with a very informal, friendly group that is gathering at the KOFA area for about 10-14 days starting on Jan 22, go to this forum topic: KOFA 2021
Post on the topic you would like to join them for a few days and they would be happy to give you more details. We stayed with the group for 3 days in 2017.

An area we enjoyed much more than the Yuma and Quartzsite areas is Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in Southern CA. We boondocked at the Blair Valley area: 33.037652, -116.409548 A very interesting hike at Blair Valley is the Marshal South Home trail: https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/mar...orrego-desert/

The state park has volunteers who give guided hikes, check at the visitor center for info.

A great SP volunteer lead hike I took when we were there is the moonlight hike. We hiked in the full moon for about 4-5 miles w/o using artificial light. We started the hike just before sunset and continued until 11-12 o'clock.

There are many more hike all throughout the area as well.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

So others don't misunderstand

I apparently misunderstood some posts that I read (not in this thread) that I thought indicated that LTVA BLM areas provided trash, water and a dump station in exchange for the $40 fee that is charged, but found out much to my surprise that that is not true, at least not always.

We stopped at the Pilot Knob LTVA BLM area near Yuma and they provide neither water nor a dump station. They did point me to a dump station at a privately run gas station, but it charges the most I have ever heard of for a dump station - $15.00. In any case I wanted to post the information the LTVA host provided to me concerning BLM LTVA camping locations along I-10 in California in case it helps anyone else.

Here is a photo of the provided amenities such as they are in the I-10 area in California. As you can see, of the 7 in this area, 4 provide dump stations, 3 do not. One provides water, one has a limited supply and 5 do not provide water. All provide trash.

Just wanted to help others who might be planning to stop at LTVA areas near here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LTVA-Stuff.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	175626  

Tags
camping