Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Austin to Disney World help

Hi Folks,

We've had our Sunstar 29VE for a couple of years. But this will be the first time going from Austin to Fort Wilderness. We'll spend a week there in mid March with our son and family who are staying is his RV. After that, we'll spend some time around Tampa visiting family and get some needed rest.

If you've made this trip, I'd love to hear suggestions on places to stay along the way. I've got a spot for a night in Destin and another near Tallahassee, but that's it. I'm a member of Harvest Hosts & BD Welcome, but don't see many spots near the route unless we drive farther off the main highway. I was trying to pretty much go straight there, but may have more time on our way back. We have no reservations yet for the trip back since we're not sure of the timing.

We've done a few trips from Austin to Tucson. But have only stopped for one night about halfway, then have our spots reserved in Tucson or Phoenix. I didn't want to have such long drives this time to Florida, so I'd like to add more stops and have shorter driving days, this is new to me.

One other question, how to pay for toll roads in Florida? We have a TxTag, but it doesn't look like it works there. We'll also be pulling our Subaru Crosstrek, so an extra two axles.

Thanks for any help,
Ed
edju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 02:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That is one of those routes which we both love and hate!
We love some of the different territories with nice trees and such but on the other hand, I will cut my arm off betore going I10 through Houston and across to Mobile!
It's the direct/quicker way but we now will go the backroads through College STation, etc, if we ever go that way again!
It is a combo of many things happening at once that makes us say, "Never again!"
The roads are under constant repair and those narrow channels of concrete blocks are just too much stress for us. With the hurricane damage and the need to build the highway higher to avoid the more frequent flooding, it may never be a good highway that is not full of construction! Built too low for the water levels to expect in the futre and on ground which is too soft to support heavy traffic well!

But there are also some really nice places we like for the RV. One is at Spanish Fort, just across the water from Mobile. Be prepped to reserve early for sure but right down on the water and nice place. When I say on the water, it has actually been partly redesigned and highway rebuilt as the South and East side are losing some ground to the water! Nice place but not a place you would want to own property for the long haul!

Our last trip was in the car and we found leaving Niceville and going East off the interstate was a good move to hang nearer the West coast to avoid the trucks on I10 more. We got to see a number of places we had not been in ten years and glad we did as we were going to Fort Myers and got a look before so much was lost to the last storm.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 05:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Keep us updated on this trip.
I am starting to feel the urge to return to WDW, and we loved Ft. Wilderness last time we stayed there. I am just dreading the two-day (or more) drive in each direction. That would stretch our trip out to almost two weeks, and there's no way we could be gone that long. Too many things here that need our attention.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:33 PM   #4
Always fixin it!

Some good BD hosts

We stayed with these great Hosts on our way to see the magical rodent last year travelling from Nth Texas to FL. Both locations not far off the highway.
Treyarnon in Marianna, FL
20 acre wood in Alachua, FL
Both were great spots with electric and water hook up though at 20 acre wood the voltage was a little low and my Hughes Autoformer was on boost almost the entire time.
AusieTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 05:18 AM   #5
bkg
Winnebago Owner

We've made this trip numerous times from Baton Rouge. Most of the time I will do the drive in one stretch (about 13 hours for me). I have used some campgrounds on the route for rest stop as well. There is one in Holt, Florida that is right off I-10 that has pull-in sites and an after hours payment box. It is River's Edge. It's been a couple years since we've been so you might check to see if they still allow after hour arrivals. It was very convenient to just drive in, plug in and get some rest. We were back on the road for 7am, before the office opened so I placed my cash payment in the night box. The campground is on a river but we didn't explore any of the campground. It was just a overnight rest stop for me.

We've also stayed at the Florida rest area in Lake City.
There is a Bass Pro in Gainesville that allows overnight as well as a Camping World in Lake City. I've not boondocked at either.

If you have extra time on your hands and want to enjoy other stops; in Louisiana there are two state parks near the interstate; Fontainebleau and Fairview-Riverside, both are well worth a stop for a day or two.
There are some other convenient ones right off the interstate in Mississippi and Alabama as well but I haven't stopped at them in a number of years.

As for the tolls, I simply bypass them. I take I-75 to Clermont and route to Kissimmee. It's not bad at all but adds about 45 minutes to the drive. I've done this a number of times in various RV's with a toad.

Bobby
Old 03-02-2023, 12:02 PM   #6
Veteran RV Owner

Sunpass is the biggy here in Florida. Also accepted in other states.

https://floridasturnpike.com/tolls/sunpass/

Florida does accept other systems, such as EPass, Ezpass, Peach Pass. check the following page for details...

https://floridasturnpike.com/tolls/e...ll-collection/
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusieTX View Post
We stayed with these great Hosts on our way to see the magical rodent last year travelling from Nth Texas to FL. Both locations not far off the highway.
Treyarnon in Marianna, FL
20 acre wood in Alachua, FL
Both were great spots with electric and water hook up though at 20 acre wood the voltage was a little low and my Hughes Autoformer was on boost almost the entire time.
Thanks for the BD tips AusieTX. I've got campgrounds set up for the TX->WDW trip, but I'm winging it for the trip back since we don't know the dates yet. I plan to stay at a BD site in Reddick, FL as a last stop before WDW. I'll let you know how that goes.
Thanks again, Ed
Old 03-04-2023, 10:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg View Post
We've made this trip numerous times from Baton Rouge. Most of the time I will do the drive in one stretch (about 13 hours for me). I have used some campgrounds on the route for rest stop as well. There is one in Holt, Florida that is right off I-10 that has pull-in sites and an after hours payment box. It is River's Edge. It's been a couple years since we've been so you might check to see if they still allow after hour arrivals. It was very convenient to just drive in, plug in and get some rest. We were back on the road for 7am, before the office opened so I placed my cash payment in the night box. The campground is on a river but we didn't explore any of the campground. It was just a overnight rest stop for me.

We've also stayed at the Florida rest area in Lake City.
There is a Bass Pro in Gainesville that allows overnight as well as a Camping World in Lake City. I've not boondocked at either.

If you have extra time on your hands and want to enjoy other stops; in Louisiana there are two state parks near the interstate; Fontainebleau and Fairview-Riverside, both are well worth a stop for a day or two.
There are some other convenient ones right off the interstate in Mississippi and Alabama as well but I haven't stopped at them in a number of years.

As for the tolls, I simply bypass them. I take I-75 to Clermont and route to Kissimmee. It's not bad at all but adds about 45 minutes to the drive. I've done this a number of times in various RV's with a toad.

Bobby
Thanks bkg for the ideas. I am staying at Fairview-Riverside on the way there, so I'm glad to hear you liked it. I'll check out the other spots for the trip home, which I plan to do with fewer stops.
Thanks again,
Ed
Old 04-03-2023, 01:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Austin to WDW update

We completed our trip and all went well. We took our time going there, making four stops along the way. First was Village Creek SP in Lumberton TX, next to Beaumont. Nice little park, quiet, but spaces were close to each other, but both spots on either side were empty, so no problems. Next was Fairview-Riverside in Madisonville, LA, nice park, flat and more spread out, only $18 w/E&W as a senior. Then Topsail Hill Preserve in Santa Rosa Beach, FL, full hookups $62, so more expensive, but beautiful park. Spaces were close, but lots of vegetation, so still pretty private and a walk or shuttle to beach. Had a good meal at Louie Louie. Then a Boondockers Welcome spot in Reddick, FL, Heatherwood Farm. Dave was helpful guiding me to our spot in the rain. Had a 30A connection and donated $15, could have got water but didn't need it. He had tow other spots near the house and two more in the field near a barn, fun place. Finally at Fort Wilderness, Loop 1800 next to our son in his Class C. Grandkids came over for breakfast and had a fun / tiring time with five days at WDW. Was told by my cousin that toll by plate with a bill in the mail should work. Then five days near Tampa at Southern Aire RV park. I guess this is typical for an older RV park, spaces packed in with lots of six&sixers and full timers, but close to Tampa. Only made two stops on the way back. Sapphire Island near DeFuniak Springs, a small RV park S of I10 off of Rt 331. Thought it would be quieter being several miles S of I10, but 331 was still noisy until night, otherwise, ok. Fyi, coming E on I10 going to Destin, I would probably not go S on 85 and pay $12 on 293 bridge, but go on to 331 with no fees or tolls. Final stop was Baton Rouge KOA, visiting my old college roommate. KOA was typical, clean, concrete pads, FHU and best shower, but $69. Agree with Morich, drive through Houston was terrible both times, and lots of tight lanes with construction on I10 in Texas. Hope these comments help the next traveller.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:05 PM   #10
Ted & Lynne

Loves on 4 outside Orlando

exit 44 off I4 FL559 the loves just put in 10 RV sites. you gotta sign in with camplife.com. $40-water and elec. we were first ones there. on our way to Luckenbach TX. your all correct about Houston. Thought i was before rush hour at three but no such luck.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:36 PM   #11
Ted & Lynne

how was the trip?