Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2021, 06:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Advice on NE Fall Trip in 2022

I am from St Louis, Mo planning a trip to the NE to see the Fall colors in 2022.
Like to get advice on routes, campgrounds, attractions, tips and more.
We like to take our time and do it in 4-6 weeks time from after Sept. 6th. Like to see VT, MA, NY, NH, ME. Possibly stop in NYC, DC, Chattanooga to see relatives. Any past posts, links, and YouTube would also be appreciated.

Thank you,
Austin
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

State Park campgrounds in NY, Ma and Vt shut down after Columbus Day. Vermont and the NY Adirondacks may be at peak leaf season in early October before Columbus Day, but Ma and southern NY, more like mid October when public campgrounds are closed. All campgrounds, public and private are busy during leaf season so reserve early.

David
Old 10-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
Site Team

Keep in mind that as DavidM said, Sept is early. But also that October is "Leaf Peeper Season." Bus loads of people come up from all around the area and clog restaurants, campgrounds, hotels, etc. And, rates are higher, too.

Don't let this stop you, just be aware and make plans.

The camping I can help you with is Washington D.C. my daughter lived there and we visited a number of times. The closest and best Private rv park is Cherry Hill RV Park in College Park, MD. It's close to the Greenline on the subway system and they have buses and shuttles to the subway station inside the park. It's pretty large but also pretty nice. Sites are a bit close together and it's ringed by expressways. But we've stayed 3-times and liked it each time.

The closest non-private camping is Bull Run Regional Park Campground. It's farther to a metro stop, but more like real camping.

Both can fill up in the Fall so make reservations early. Bull Run is on Revere America:

https://www.reserveamerica.com/explo...20011/overview

I've just heard of a RV "Lot" in New Jersey right at a tunnel entrance into NYC that's supposedly super handy for New York City and safe. It is expensive and pretty much a parking lot, though unlike the one in Chicago I think this one has power, etc.

Here's a link to that:
https://www.libertyharborrv.com/
Old 10-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We just stayed at Liberty Harbor RV and it was super convenient. Ferry that will take you over to NYC and not far from the Ellis Island ferry.

We traveled from Ohio through the states you listed between Sept. 16-Oct. 4th and the leaves while not at peek, were impressive towards the end of the travels.

I would recommend Normandy Farms as well outside of Boston.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We stayed at Schoodic Woods Campground while at Acadia. The sites were nice and large and the area was definitely quieter than the Bar Harbor area.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Seawall CG inside of Acadia is also nice and quite. There is RV parking inside of Bar Harbor at the ball field just below town. Once inside of Bar Harbor they have free bus service to get around inside of Acadia. If you don't mind dry camping at Lake George NY the Battleground CG is walking distance to the town and is Lake front.
Sparky19053 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Check on year-to-date rainfall before you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
I am from St Louis, Mo planning a trip to the NE to see the Fall colors in 2022.
Like to get advice on routes, campgrounds, attractions, tips and more.
We like to take our time and do it in 4-6 weeks time from after Sept. 6th. Like to see VT, MA, NY, NH, ME. Possibly stop in NYC, DC, Chattanooga to see relatives. Any past posts, links, and YouTube would also be appreciated.

Thank you,
Austin
One recommendation is to check year-to-date rainfall records next year vs. historical. The amount of rain will impact the color and obviously have a major impact on waterfalls.

We just returned from a couple of weeks in VA, PA, WV, KY & TN. Fall color was sadly lacking and most of the waterfalls were dry or nearly dry. Waterfalls that in the past had a lot of water flowing when we visited had just a trickle, almost like just a garden hose at the top of the falls.

In 2017 we took a 2-week trip to New England primarily to see the fall colors and photograph waterfalls. The trip was pretty much a bust. One lifelong VT resident we spoke to said it was the worst color and water levels he could recall in 70 years.

So I guess my point is that, like many things in life, timing is everything.

If you are in the DC area and head east, check out the Blue Ridge Parkway in general and Mabry Mill (milepost 176) in particular. Very crowded in October in general and weekends in particular.

If you do visit Chattanooga, you should make a point of visiting Cades Cove in Smoky Mountains National Park. Just be aware that it is mobbed in the fall, particularly in October. We were there 2 days this week and it was a zoo.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

That should be "head west", not "head east" from DC.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the good tips and advice! I will use them in my planning.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Keep in mind that as DavidM said, Sept is early. But also that October is "Leaf Peeper Season." Bus loads of people come up from all around the area and clog restaurants, campgrounds, hotels, etc. And, rates are higher, too.

Don't let this stop you, just be aware and make plans.

The camping I can help you with is Washington D.C. my daughter lived there and we visited a number of times. The closest and best Private rv park is Cherry Hill RV Park in College Park, MD. It's close to the Greenline on the subway system and they have buses and shuttles to the subway station inside the park. It's pretty large but also pretty nice. Sites are a bit close together and it's ringed by expressways. But we've stayed 3-times and liked it each time.

The closest non-private camping is Bull Run Regional Park Campground. It's farther to a metro stop, but more like real camping.

Both can fill up in the Fall so make reservations early. Bull Run is on Revere America:

https://www.reserveamerica.com/explo...20011/overview

I've just heard of a RV "Lot" in New Jersey right at a tunnel entrance into NYC that's supposedly super handy for New York City and safe. It is expensive and pretty much a parking lot, though unlike the one in Chicago I think this one has power, etc.

Here's a link to that:
https://www.libertyharborrv.com/

Thx! I have a son near College Park so thats really helpful !
Old 11-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #11
GG1
Winnie-Wise

N E fall trip

The best time for leafpeeping is around Columbus day weekend in Vermont, New Hampshire,and Maine. Try Lake Champage Campground in Randolph Center Vt. Or Riversbend Campground north of Middlebury. Take rt 2 across New Hampshire to Maine and north to Moorings Campground in Belfast Maine its sits right on Penobscot Bay. They are all big rig friendly. Check the reviews in irv2.com
GG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

GSMNP and BRP are awesome this time of year. BRP campgroUnds close Nov 1st, but the drive not to be missed. You can day drive from GSMNP to BRP. If you can’t get a reservation at GSMNP, there are plenty of commercial campgrounds in and around Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville. Great fun for kids if you have them, and lots of stuff for adults too.

Tags
advice