Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2020 Masked Travel

We are finally off!!! Departed Kissimmee Mon, quick stop at Camping
World then hit the road. Up 75 in FL was smoother than ever - thank you social distancing for keeping ppl at home. Arrived Forest City Sat pm. 2020 Horizon 40A maiden adventure and we are happy happy happy. Great ride, easy drive, handled easily all the way. Towing 2020 Buick Envision with NO speed limits - YIPPEE. 70 mph all the way. Fun to sleep in the bed sideways while slides are in but we were both very comfy and slept soundly. Rest areas open everywhere and we found those had more open spaces for overnight than the fuel stops. Being a "tester" of many things, I always try to push the limits in determining what can be left out while underway and which items MUST be stowed. So far, nothing left on the counters moved at all. Of course had non skid everywhere, but better that than having to stow all my stuff. Lamps, computers, printer, plant, pretty stuff - all road well. GREAT VEHICLE. Applied yellow/brown rule and did not need to dump until we arrived at Winnebago, and water lasted but that is due to the fact that we can not use shower while underway as door is blocked when slide comes in. BUT, I will try something else after departing Forest City - I am going to experiment to see if I can keep the shower door open while traveling. Of course I'll brace is somehow, then hang a shower curtain inside so that we can rid ourselves of the body stench. Happy happy happy that we are finally at Winnie so they can fix the problemS that General RV Ocala created-plural. First issue is the leak Ocala crew created when they installed Sat. HRS of rain poured down driver side window over all those components in driver side wall as well as all the A/V units in the upper compartment. Expecting to be here at least 2 weeks. More later. Stay HEALTHY
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
34-yrs RVing. not familiar with “yellow/brown rule”. please explain.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Is it pretty empty at the Service Center these days? Sure seems like it would be.

We tend to not stay in Rest Areas, and don't stay in Walmarts very much either, but when we do, we always put out 2 of the 3 slides. Parking far far away from people and usually at a curb where the big slide is overhanging the curb. We've never attempted to sleep with the slides in.

Almost always, we'll shell out for a nights stay for a campground near the highway. Sure it's costs $35 or so, but nothing in rving is about money saving.

Even if you don't have an issue with your slides - tell them they are uneven and have them checked. When we did that they added a couple of rollers under the kitchen to help carry more weight. The guy said they do it for everyone that comes in for slide work.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
34-yrs RVing. not familiar with “yellow/brown rule”. please explain.
Toilet flushing... "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down."
Old 04-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Toilet flushing... "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down."
new one on me. we flush every time.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
Old 04-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
new one on me. we flush every time.
Most do.

Boondockers trying to extend time between black tank dumping are known to think otherwise.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Most do.

Boondockers trying to extend time between black tank dumping are known to think otherwise.
doesn't make sense to me. pee three times/flush once or pee three times/flush each time the same amount of pee ends up in the tank with a tiny amount of fresh water after each flush.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
Old 04-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

A point that may be related? Lots of folks complain about black water tanks stopping up and work to get the "right" TP when lots of water like flushing each time may actually solve the problem?
If you've looked around much, you've probably seen that little trickle of water when folks are sure nobody is looking. There may be a connection to letting the liquid drain out on the ground to stay longer and winding up with a pile of dry stuff clogging the drain!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yellow/Brown Rule

I learned this rule during 70's when I took a bitch to breed out to CA and they were under a very bad water shortage.
"If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down"
Please don't call me gross - I know it's a "sensitive subject. But this rule makes sense when you want to conserve water.
We employ this rule whenever we are on the road or there is a shortage of water - which happened frequently during this past summer while in Kissimmee South RV in Davenport FL as their water system was lagging greatly and we all felt the frustration.
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Our first introduction to "Yellow is mellow, brown goes down," was in Japan. We went over 180 days with water restrictions. We don't follow that rule typically when RV'ing, but at night I may wait a few times before flushing with "yellow is mellow," so as not to wake he wife, or dog. However, we have macerator toilets and the big dump uses a lot more water than the little dump. So much so that boondocking would only last 3 to 3-1/2 days for us.

Eat your veggies.

The Horizon seems to be a nice RV but I'll reserve positive judgement until I see one in person. Don't really like the "square" interior. (Cabinets, etc.)
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilag1848 View Post
We are finally off!!! Departed Kissimmee Mon, quick stop at Camping
World then hit the road. Up 75 in FL was smoother than ever - thank you social distancing for keeping ppl at home. Arrived Forest City Sat pm. 2020 Horizon 40A maiden adventure and we are happy happy happy. Great ride, easy drive, handled easily all the way. Towing 2020 Buick Envision with NO speed limits - YIPPEE. 70 mph all the way. Fun to sleep in the bed sideways while slides are in but we were both very comfy and slept soundly. Rest areas open everywhere and we found those had more open spaces for overnight than the fuel stops. Being a "tester" of many things, I always try to push the limits in determining what can be left out while underway and which items MUST be stowed. So far, nothing left on the counters moved at all. Of course had non skid everywhere, but better that than having to stow all my stuff. Lamps, computers, printer, plant, pretty stuff - all road well. GREAT VEHICLE. Applied yellow/brown rule and did not need to dump until we arrived at Winnebago, and water lasted but that is due to the fact that we can not use shower while underway as door is blocked when slide comes in. BUT, I will try something else after departing Forest City - I am going to experiment to see if I can keep the shower door open while traveling. Of course I'll brace is somehow, then hang a shower curtain inside so that we can rid ourselves of the body stench. Happy happy happy that we are finally at Winnie so they can fix the problemS that General RV Ocala created-plural. First issue is the leak Ocala crew created when they installed Sat. HRS of rain poured down driver side window over all those components in driver side wall as well as all the A/V units in the upper compartment. Expecting to be here at least 2 weeks. More later. Stay HEALTHY
How far ahead of time did you have to schedule your repairs? Where are you staying during repairs? We’ve got a windshield leak that I’m worried about, but don’t want to end up in a hotel.
Dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #12
Site Team

They have sites at the Service Center. You only have power but it's 50-amp. CALL FIRST if you show up without an appointment you may get lucky, but appoints get the first camping spots and the first repairs.

You stay in your RV. You get in line at the front door before 7 am. Then you give them your list of repairs and info. They send reps out to your rig in the Parking lot and take it from you. You go sightsee or hang in the waiting area. They bring it back to you around 3pm to 4pm for you to stay in for the night and then it starts all over again each day. Only you don't need to get in line and register except on the first day.

Tags
travel