Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #1
Site Team

2000 mi trip = BUGS

This year we took one 2000 mile trip from Texas to Arizona, one 4200 mile trip from Texas to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and back and one 2000 mile trip from Texas to Colorado and back.

After each trip I clean and wash and usually wax the RV before putting it away.

So, today is the start of that process from this trip. But this trip saw an unusual build up and assortment of BUGs on the front of the RV. Fellow member Macnut and I have the same RV and Paint scheme (different floorplans). So, I'm sure he knows what I'm talking about. The lower portion of the front cap is bright white. Or it was before this trip.

When we returned you'd swear I had killed a dozen larger animals along the way. The lower front of my coach was splattered with all kinds of blood and guts. I have no idea what the cause of this was. But I just spent 3 hours of my Saturday cleaning only the front cap of the RV. I would have taken photos but I'm afraid they'd be too gruesome for everyone to have seen.

There are all kinds of bug gut removers on the market, I've tried many of them including the dryer sheet method. But what works best is old fashioned soap and water and a mildly abrasive scrubbing pad. (Our HEB sells a less abrasive blue scrubby that's perfect for this job.)

Rant over.

Our next scheduled trip is a short 400 mile round trip to the Texas Coast for a 5-day trip over Thanksgiving with my wife's family. I can already envision what the salt air will do to the once clean RV!
Old 10-02-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

So, which trip resulted in the bloody gore. You weren't version specific. Love bugs here in Florida will do in your paint job if you don't get too them right away.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I had a similar experience in Northern NM where the yellow butterflies were like a blizzard. I soaked in foam soap then lightly scrubbed with a windshield sponge, the kind that has a netlike wrapping on it. Afterwards I re-applied wax just to the nose thinking the scrubbing probably removed some of it.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
So, which trip resulted in the bloody gore.
The most recent trip to Colorado - I started the trip on Sept 3rd with a newly cleaned and waxed coach. We returned on Sept 30th with the carnage fully evident.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
Site Team

One thing I love about camping at the ocean in CA is there are relatively few bugs and less cleaning when I return home. I especially hate how the bugs get lodged between the chrome headlight fixture and the front cap on our model. Sounds like you ran into a bumper crop! Congrats on a job well done!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I especially hate how the bugs get lodged between the chrome headlight fixture and the front cap on our model.
You got that right... earlier in the year on one of my other trips I ran into lots of butterflies and they all got stuck right there. What a pain. In fact, I found one more sticking out from the "chrome" today a full 4-months later.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #7
Site Team

After 4 months it should qualify as a pet. Haha.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The best bug remover ever is a wet Bounce sheet. Just dip in water, wipe off the bugs, then follow with soap and water. I have told many fellow campers about it while traveling and they are always amazed how easy it is!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Have you tried “Rejex” ? It’s the one thing do before each venture, apply a fresh coat to the front. I really like it, the bugs will rinse off with just a hose for the most part.

https://www.corrosionx.com/collectio...iAAEgIQ3PD_BwE
Old 10-06-2021, 06:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My go-to is 3D bug remover. I get it on Amazon. Put it in a spray bottle, spray and let it set for a few minutes. Hose it off and that's it. I was introduced to this by a neighboring RV'r who saw me struggling to remove a major love bug kill. We were covered with them and they virtually melted off; no scrubbing. I imagine that some bug splat may be harsher or more embedded and require some physical effort, but I have not encountered that yet.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I use LA's Totally Awesome Window Cleaner Vinegar Formula. It stays fluid for dang near ever and lets the bugs slide off. Cheap too 40 fl oz at the dollar store for a buck
Old 10-07-2021, 05:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Stay ahead of bug buildup

When travelling, I clean the bugs off the front daily. I keep a long handled brush and bucket in the RV. Put just an inch or two of water in the bucket, dip the brush in and go over the front to wet the carcasses (or carcai?), then keep dipping and brushing until clean. With no hose spray, you can't be accused of washing your Rv. I'm usually to tired and ready for happy hour at the end of the day, so I do it early the next morning. From experience I know that lovebugs left on with eat into the paint.
Chuckmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I agree, I clean any bug splat the day of, after the sun is not directly on the front. I've heard the same about lovebugs etching paint, others may as well.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I haven't yet found a good wax or other coating the will allow the bugs to be easily wiped off, but I have come up with a concoction that make the bug guts easier to remove.

I bought a gallon of the green windshield washer fluid that says its good for removing bugs using the windshield wipers. Its only marginally better that the regular blue stuff, so I add a few drops (not very many) of Dawn dishwashing detergent and roughly a half cup of white vinegar to a jug of the green stuff.

I spray the buggy areas with a good dose of the "bug juice" and let it set for 2 - 3 minutes, spray again and use a non-metaling scrubbing pad to rub the guts off of the paint, grill, and side mirrors.

Two years ago we drove though Canada in late July and seemed to make a big dent in their bug population. In certain areas we needed to stop every 1 - 2 hours to clean the windshield using a long handled squeegee and liberal quantities of the bug juice. It worked well.

This version of bug juice seems to work better than any commercial bug removal stuff I've ever used.