Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

1. Old Comment

Diesel and gas

Diesel VS Gas

I’m pretty late responding to your post so by now you have probably figured this out on your own. How fast a vehicle can climb a hill is determined by four major factors. Torque, vehicle weigh, gear ratio and momentum.

Diesel engines generally develop considerably more torque than gas engines that are rated at the same horse power. So, if all of the other three things are equal, the diesel will easily out perform a gas engine of equal HP in a hill climb.

Without knowing the specifics of each of the RVs you are comparing I can only guess that the gas powered one is either much lighter and or it has much more HP and torque than the diesel.

One last note, down shifting is the key to pulling hills. My Cat7 diesel likes to run at 2000-2500 RPMs on hills. Down shifting early keeps you ahead of the curve.
    Updated 08-18-2021 at 12:40 PM by HiBanky
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.