Winnebago Owners Online Community

Winnebago Owners Online Community (http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/)
-   Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics (http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f260/)
-   -   Direct TV (http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f260/direct-tv-248661.html)

46490 06-01-2015 04:32 PM

Direct TV
 
How do you get direct TV to work in you MH. Do I need to take my receiver from the house and put it in the MH? If so is it just a plug and play.

450Donn 06-01-2015 04:43 PM

Do you have an antenna of some sort on the MH? If yes, then it depends on a lot of factors, such as, type of antenna, receiver model, wiring. I guess you need to provide a bunch more info before anyone can offer an intelligent answer

Climbon69 06-01-2015 04:48 PM

Well, . . . does your MH have an antenna (dish)? Assume it does. Plug it into your box from the house. You'll need to tell your box what kind of dish your MH has (round, oval, swm3, etc). Follow instructions on your dish for pointing it correctly. Most of the new dish domes on MH are pretty automatic as to finding the satellites. Your box may need to be reset ( little red button behind the little door on lower right of the box). Worse case you call the 800 # on the screen! enter the trouble code shown on your screen and Directv will send a reset command to your box without even talking to you.

Just installed a Trav'ler automatic HD dish on my coach. It finds satellites by itself. Currently sitting in Williams, AZ watching HD TV with 30 mph winds outside. The Trav'ler is pretty much the only way to get HD.

MaverickBBD 06-01-2015 08:27 PM

A lot depends on your receiver and your dish. There is a lot of trial and error and you won't get much if any help from DirecTv. I have the Trav'ler and I am sitting 20 miles south of Alturas, Ca. and am picking up the spot beam for my Seattle local stations.

GG1 06-02-2015 05:47 AM

We have been using direct tv for the past 12 yrs. We take the receiver from our living room plug it into the coach receptacle and it works fine. Our dish finds a signal automatically, we do not have hd for us it's not important. We have TV from Canada to Florida and west to Tennessee. We have not had the coach west of Tenn.

Hikerdogs 06-02-2015 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG1 (Post 2583967)
We have been using direct tv for the past 12 yrs. We take the receiver from our living room plug it into the coach receptacle and it works fine. Our dish finds a signal automatically, we do not have hd for us it's not important. We have TV from Canada to Florida and west to Tennessee. We have not had the coach west of Tenn.

If you don't want to keep moving your receiver from the house to the motorhome you can always get a second receiver for minimal cost. We've had Direct TV a little over 15 years. When we first got it you had to buy the receiver and could have it turned on and off anytime with a phone call. About 7 or 8 years ago they changed their policy. You can now lease a receiver for the motorhome for an initial cost of $39.95 and pay a $5.00 per month fee for service. That's a maximum of $100.00 per year for the first year and $5.00 per month (it can be shut off just as before) for each month (maximum of $60.00 per year) you use it in the following years.

We've switched to leasing and the monthly fee. Our receiver is located in a place that's all but impossible to install and remove in less than an hour. It's well worth the maximum of $60.00 per year to leave it in place.

HD4Mark 06-02-2015 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG1 (Post 2583967)
We have been using direct tv for the past 12 yrs. We take the receiver from our living room plug it into the coach receptacle and it works fine. Our dish finds a signal automatically, we do not have hd for us it's not important. We have TV from Canada to Florida and west to Tennessee. We have not had the coach west of Tenn.

Do you still have your local channels? If so I would assume they are NYC since they are broadcast on DTVs main satellite. Otherwise you would lose them when you left the northeast.

We used to do the swap the receiver from the house to the RV and lost the locals. Back then it was for a month vacation tops so we just used the antenna for locals and everything else worked. Now we have FiOS TV at the house and use Directv just in the MH. Both will allow you to suspend for up to six months. So summer it is FiOS with locals in central NY and winter it is Directv with locals in Miami. Just put your service address with Directv where you will be parked, I'm not sure how often they will let you change it though. We are in south Florida for the winter so Miami works for us until we are almost to Georgia.

KC 06-02-2015 10:12 AM

I donít own a Winnebago but I do have Direct TV with a class A. I have a portable dish and we move one of our receivers from the home to our RV each time. Our main issue was make sure the receiver was set for the different dish. Called Direct TV was very helpful for me.

Good luck!!

KC

46490 06-02-2015 01:10 PM

I found some additional information this afternoon from Direct TV - A standard receiver is 69.00 and a HD receiver is 99.00, also there is a monthly fee of 6.50 for TV service. My antenna is a wine guard and it is for direct TV. y home receiver is an HR44 and has a SWM hooked up which acts like a splitter for the wireless genie system. So I guess that I need to find out if my MH dish is HD capable or not and then decide if I want to use my home receiver until I full time RV or just get a second receiver.

Hikerdogs 06-02-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD4Mark (Post 2584077)
Do you still have your local channels? If so I would assume they are NYC since they are broadcast on DTVs main satellite. Otherwise you would lose them when you left the northeast.

We used to do the swap the receiver from the house to the RV and lost the locals. Back then it was for a month vacation tops so we just used the antenna for locals and everything else worked. Now we have FiOS TV at the house and use Directv just in the MH. Both will allow you to suspend for up to six months. So summer it is FiOS with locals in central NY and winter it is Directv with locals in Miami. Just put your service address with Directv where you will be parked, I'm not sure how often they will let you change it though. We are in south Florida for the winter so Miami works for us until we are almost to Georgia.


For the first few years we had Direct TV change our locals to wherever we were staying. The last few years we've moved around a lot so we just go without the locals. In 2013 we went to Alaska. On the way we were having trouble getting ant Direct TV channels. I was about to call them but decided to do an internet search to see if it was something simple.

It turned out Direct TV and Shaw Communications of Canada have an agreement not to knowingly transmit across the border. If you do call from Canada and complain about poor reception they shut off your service until you get to Alaska or back to the lower 48. To get your account operational again you have to call from a land line that has a US area code.

HD4Mark 06-02-2015 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46490 (Post 2584626)
I found some additional information this afternoon from Direct TV - A standard receiver is 69.00 and a HD receiver is 99.00, also there is a monthly fee of 6.50 for TV service. My antenna is a wine guard and it is for direct TV. y home receiver is an HR44 and has a SWM hooked up which acts like a splitter for the wireless genie system. So I guess that I need to find out if my MH dish is HD capable or not and then decide if I want to use my home receiver until I full time RV or just get a second receiver.

Is the MH dish a dome type? If so HD will not work. You will need one of the large oval shaped ones like a Winegard Trav'ler. You might be better off buying an older receiver from Ebay or Craigslist like a D10 or D12 and adding it to your home account. Tell them a friend gave it to you or you got it at a garage sale. They used to get upset if you told them you bought it on Ebay. Not sure why.

two-niner 06-06-2015 03:32 PM

Since you live in Utah, I recommend you call RF Mogul out of SLC.

I took that worthless kingdome off and had them install everything. The people there were the pioneers in utilizing a dish for reception. Not one problem. HD great, Willis!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.