Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Florida winterizing

We use our rv pretty regularly. But it looks like for a few months anyway it will sit. I live in north florida and it does get cold. Like tonight it may get down to 37,what do I need to do? My fresh water tank is pretty much empty. Do I need to blow lines dry? any advice will be appreciated
jkbpeavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I live in Jacksonville.
I haven't winterized either a boat or an RV since we moved here 15 years ago (boats are easier to keep warm because they pick up heat from the water).
37 degrees is nothing to worry about.
32 degrees is only a minor worry.
When 32 degrees or less is predicted overnight I'll put a heater in the wet bay, turn on the heat in the RV set to about 50, and open the cabinets under the kitchen and bathroom sinks so that those pipes can get some of the warm air to the.
Generally we're only below freezing here for an hour or two before it starts to warm up, so what I do is likely not REALLY necessary - but it makes me feel better to know that there is heat in there.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, We are in Gainesville..What kind of heater do you use, like a one of those little ceramic ones?
jkbpeavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbpeavey View Post
Thanks, We are in Gainesville..What kind of heater do you use, like a one of those little ceramic ones?
Exactly that, with a fan.
One of the inexpensive ones with mechanical switches, not one the fancy digital ones. With a nice heavy extension cord.
Mechanical ones will come back on with a power loss/restore. The digital ones must be manually restarted, which for this purpose makes them less reliable.
I also chose one that is short and wide, rather than tall and skinny, so that it wouldn't tip over easily. (this was left over from when I was heating a boat, that rocked in the marina considerably more than the RV does in my driveway).

Interesting that you're predicted for 37 degrees and us for 42. It's nearly always warmer there than here. I guess it's about time you all got 'cold' first!

Tags
winter