Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

surge protector vs power monitor

Hi, I'm new to the RV world and found that not is important to have a surge protector in case the power becomes unruly and surges into your shoreline. My question is that is it also a good idea to have a power monitor in place inside the RV to keep you abreast of the possible low voltage activities that, I hear, can be just as devastating on appliances?
Thanks - waiylo
waylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hello and welcome. You are correct; a surge protector is a very important piece of gear for an RVer. I suppose the remote monitor is a personal preference; we have never had a remote monitor for our portable Progressive Industries unit and have not missed it.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
Winniehurn

We installed an on-board Progressive Industries surge protector which came with a remote readout which continually shows useful power data (real time volts, amps, etc.) and will also show failure codes should a power issue occur which the protector kicks power off on. Being on-board, theft not likely either. Can find them on Amazon, etc. for $225 range for 30 amp unit. I like the unit, find it helpful for occasional troubleshooting, and peace of mind against damaged appliances, etc.
Winniehurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

What if you are sleeping? No monitoring then. Instead of just surge protection, I suggest total power protection. Here’s one that’s available https://www.campingworld.com/50-amp-...th-lcd-display
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info, I checked Amazon and found "Progressive Industries EMSLCHW30 Surge Protector". I didn't see a remote with it. Is it possible to send me the model #? I also found on Camping World "Progressive Industries' Hardwired Electrical Management System (EMS)EMS-LCHW30". This one wasn't with remote either. I hope it's not too much of a bother.
Thanks-Ted
waylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #6

If you can hardwire it inside a storage area or such. Theft possibility goes way down.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power