Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

RVer Wannabe

Hi All,

I'm Betsy and I'm hoping to retire in the next year or two and start RVing--maybe even full time with my boyfriend perhaps in a small Class C. I know the Winnebago brand is known for good quality/cost ratio.

I'm wondering what are the main differences between the many different Class Cs Winnebago makes?

Also should I steer clear of the Mercedes Engine/Diesel option? I want to make sure I can get service easily and less expensively. Or are the Mercedes worth it?

Looking forward to getting some guidance.

Thank you alll,

Betsy
BetsyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Welcome Betsy! If you haven't ever driven a Class C (or any MH for that matter), I strongly recommend you rent one for a few days and go camping. See what you like and what you don't like. Rent another style/brand and do the same thing. We did this about 5 or 6 times before we really knew what we were looking for. Then look at the various floor plans available and go from there. Go find what you think will work and give it a good look about to see if it indeed is all you wanted. Don't even think about buying until you're really comfortable with what you want. Rarely will you get everything you think you want, but that is part of the game...give and take. What is really important? Once you make the purchase, it's kind of costly to find out it wasn't what you thought it would be and now you're looking at a different floorpan to get into. Good luck!

Al
Old 12-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I agree with AZAspect with one proviso. We are long term motorhomers who rented a CruiseAmerica 30'er last year while between rigs. CruiseAmerica has their motorhomes custom built to their "lowest common denominator" specs. Renting one of those is not necessarily representative of what you can buy. (No tv, no steps, no rear view camera, small water and holding tanks, small house battery, limited storage, etc.) El Monte and Roadbearrvs Rvs seem to be a little more upscale from what I have seen in the parks, but I have no direct experience.

We are in California, so those brands may not be available where you are. Rent and then compare...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You are giving yourself enough time to work most of the stuff out. I would not be limiting yourself to just Winnebago brands, look at all. Go to as many dealers as you can look at the floor plans. Once you kinda have an idea of the floor plan then you can start brand looking. Check for quality, workmanship, etc.

If you are thinking new VS. used makes a difference also. Most all on this and every other forum have and always are looking for a different rig or floor plan. Its an never ending problem.

As for Mercedes that's a call if you would like gas over diesel. Either one requires its share of maintenance.

Ask questions and more questions
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

One major that has prompted us to buy different RV is the seating. Do a serious look at how the seating in a class C is for long term setups. The straight up and down backs are often not what we want to longer seating as it doesn't let you slouch!
When you walk into a dealer and set in this really new soft seat, it is easy to think it grand but after a week or so of setting like at attention, it may not fit so well. We moved to a Class A for the extra headroom as the cab area is useable as well as getting much better seating.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

A big factor is going to be your style of traveling. Are you going to be traveling to a destination and living there for a month or more in a full-service RV park or are you going to wander from place to place, often camping in state parks or the like without hook-ups?

If it's the former, the sky's the limit. If it's the latter, you're going to be looking for something a bit smaller. In any case, make sure the rig has the towing capacity necessary to tow a car ("toad").

In any case, I'd suggest buying used for your first RV. Especially if full-timing may be in your future. You're going to learn a lot as you use your RV and may find that your needs for full-timing may be different than your first RV.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote