Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Rookie RV Owner - 2019 Vista 31be

Hi,

We're a military family (wife is US Army active duty & I'm USAF-ret) and we just purchased a new 2019 Vista 31be. We picked this one because we thought the grand kids would really like the bunk beds. My wife is approaching her military retirement in the not too distant future and that probably explains the new motorhome.
Murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Congrats on the new move. Always things to like and things that we would change but learning to not obsess over the things we are not willing to change is one good move. We have owned many different types/styles or RV and we thought we knew what we wanted this round but made a big mistake on buying a new one. Bought a Thor as it was new but found it not at all good and did bite the bullet and loss of trading it in for a 2014 Vista which we are really liking.
Thought the grandkids would like the bunk bed---not so much as they have moved into the age when they are almost impossible to catch for a dinner together, let alone a weekend camping! Enjoy them when you can but I admit that we have had to move on to other entertainment as well.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, you're lucky if you can get the grandkids to say hello once they reach the age of "knowing everything". So there is a limited time and space for those events - enjoy them while they still get excited to see you!
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Kids and grandkids are always going to be a mixed blessing. if there's anything sadder than them moving on and getting their own life, it's seeing some that can't or won't!!
We've had 16 years of great times with the oldest but she is now looking at college and I'm certainly glad she is up to becoming a full fledged adult!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone. The main reason that prompted me to join the forum is because of the experience I had with our first trip. the specifications for the Vista 31Be list the grey tank capacity at 59 gal. The campsite where we stayed did not have full hookups (elec & water only - no sewer). I noticed the grey tank seemed to be filling up way too soon. I emptied my grey tank at the dumpsite and proceeded to my son's house to conduct a test on the grey tank capacity. Once parked and the coach leveled, I measured the grey tank capacity by filling a 5 gallon buck of water and pouring into the kitchen sink drain. I was only able to get 25 gallons of water into the tank before it was full. Note, this is not a faulty sensor issue as the tank gets full which is noted by water appearing in the shower stall at approximately 27 gal.

Has anyone heard of Winnebago installing the wrong tanks? We just returned home from out trip last night and no one is available at the RV dealership where I purchased the coach until Monday but I am very curious how they are going to fix this. I paid for a coach with a 59 gallon grey tank and not one with only 25.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Wow, that would be a major mistake and since all the parts are pretty much custom made to fit each coach, I would think it nearly impossible to have installed the wrong tank.
So what else could be going on, besides the wrong tank?
I would want to be sure that I was getting it totally drained. Looking carefully, there may be spaces where you can see the tank and since they are a semi-transparent plastic, maybe shining a light on it will let you see how much there might be left in the tank. One biggie might be the angle the RV was setting when drained or volume checked. Any chance of it being a two tank setup and one not dumping due to a cutoff not found?
I know it sounds simple but then installing the wrong shape tank around all the things that it takes to squeeze one in would seem to make it nearly impossible to get it wrong, so, I would want to double/triple check before saying it is the wrong size.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Wow, that would be a major mistake and since all the parts are pretty much custom made to fit each coach, I would think it nearly impossible to have installed the wrong tank.
So what else could be going on, besides the wrong tank?
I would want to be sure that I was getting it totally drained. Looking carefully, there may be spaces where you can see the tank and since they are a semi-transparent plastic, maybe shining a light on it will let you see how much there might be left in the tank. One biggie might be the angle the RV was setting when drained or volume checked. Any chance of it being a two tank setup and one not dumping due to a cutoff not found?
I know it sounds simple but then installing the wrong shape tank around all the things that it takes to squeeze one in would seem to make it nearly impossible to get it wrong, so, I would want to double/triple check before saying it is the wrong size.
I'm confident the grey tank was fully drained. Please keep in mind according to the leveling jacks the coach was level unless the auto leveling feature is also defective. And there is a big difference between 25 gallons and 59 gallons. Also, it would be a much different scenario if I was only able to pour 45 gallons or so into a 59 gallon tank. I also agree it would be a really weird deal for Winnebago to install the wrong tank given all their hype about custom made tanks. And, there is no mention of two grey tanks in my manuals or of any valve or switch for multiple grey tanks. It will be interesting to see what the dealer's service department has to say when I can get it scheduled. And, since it is a new coach and this is my first experience with RVs I acknowledge the possibility of something obvious I'm missing but darned if I can imagine what. Meanwhile I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I do agree there can be mistakes made on building things but it really sounds hard when I look at how these tanks fit in so closely on Winnebago. Having a different size tank would seem to mean the strapping as well as the connecting plumbing would have to be different. Since the drawings indicate which part number to use for each item, I would thing a production line would have to totally pickup the wrong book in the middle of building your RV.
I certainly have no better answer, barring some form of "filler", etc. being inside the tank, but getting the wrong tank installed seems really far out there.
I did get a Thor that they had left a bunch of yellow plastic strapping in the black water tank but that would not have taken up more than a few ounces of space.

Interesting problem and do please report back what is up.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I agree, this is a very strange issue. The only thing I could possibly add is the vent line or fitting to admit air(release air) has completely failed and closed. This could allow pressure buildup? This is a "good" one. In other words, if there is no venting to allow air to escape the back pressure of air could stop inflow of water? I love RV stuff

With that thought, check the vent lines and the air valve, not familiar with the location on your rig. If you try to fill a one gallon bottle that is sealed at the top with only a water line entering it you won't get it full for example, air pressure will stop the flow. With enough pressure you might explode the bottle.

Since this is a new rig take it back to dealer if nearby, otherwise some WGO dealer. This is definitely warranty stuff.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
Site Team

Murf, I don't know what your problem is, but you are counting on the coach being level because the leveling system says it's level. Couple of things there. They leveling system isn't foolproof. And, it is configurable. So, you can configure it to be more accurately levle. Since you're new and the rig is new I wonder if you have configured it to really be level when it says it's level.

I don't think being a bit out of level could make such a huge difference. But it if was not fully dumped and then tested when not actually level the two things could "maybe" explain it.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
I agree, this is a very strange issue. The only thing I could possibly add is the vent line or fitting to admit air(release air) has completely failed and closed. This could allow pressure buildup? This is a "good" one. In other words, if there is no venting to allow air to escape the back pressure of air could stop inflow of water? I love RV stuff

With that thought, check the vent lines and the air valve, not familiar with the location on your rig. If you try to fill a one gallon bottle that is sealed at the top with only a water line entering it you won't get it full for example, air pressure will stop the flow. With enough pressure you might explode the bottle.

Since this is a new rig take it back to dealer if nearby, otherwise some WGO dealer. This is definitely warranty stuff.

This is a really good thought! Maybe, perhaps, sorta?
Sounds hard to think a stuck valve would be that stuck but then we do know that you can't get water into a container if there is no way for the air to go out above the water. Think of turning a jug over in the water and it can't fill if we don't let the air out?
Old 08-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Murf,
We have the sister ship. Sunstar 31BE.
I noticed our grey tank filled faster than expected first trip out. 7 us of using the shower on a hot summer trip.

I will see if the plumbing diagram is on the Winnebago site. I think there are two grey tanks. They will most likely be connected by a small tube for transferring between the two. You might re try the test using the kitchen and bathroom sinks. I bet you get all 59 gal in that way. It would take a 5/8” i.d. Tube 30min or so to move 30+/-gal to the other tank if my theory is correct.

We had a Brave 35C before and it took a while for the TWO 30 gal fresh water tanks to fill because of a tiny transfer hose from one to the other.

I’ll do more digging on line and see what I can find.
Nickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
Site Team

Here's the plumbing drainage diagram for the Vista 31BE. Page 4 shows the holding tanks. Looks like one 59 gal grey tank.

https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2018/000180067.pdf
Old 08-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Indeed, Shows one kind of flat crazy shaped 59 gal tank.

Strange occurrence indeed. Either not completely drained, vent issue or ???
Nickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I have not looked at the drawing enough to know but how about a different theory?
If water is poured in the sink and the drain runs past the shower but then there is a partial clog before it runs to the tank, water will back into the shower but eventually drain into the tank.
Works that way in houses at times as a clog can let flushing the stool fill the tub. I see the vanity tied directly to the shower but I see the kitchen going direct to the tank.
The water was poured in the kitchen sink, not the vanity?
If poured into the vanity, a clog at detail BC on page two would be an explanation.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Murf, I don't know what your problem is, but you are counting on the coach being level because the leveling system says it's level. Couple of things there. They leveling system isn't foolproof. And, it is configurable. So, you can configure it to be more accurately levle. Since you're new and the rig is new I wonder if you have configured it to really be level when it says it's level.

I don't think being a bit out of level could make such a huge difference. But it if was not fully dumped and then tested when not actually level the two things could "maybe" explain it.

the thing is, the difference between 25 gallons and 59 gallons is so significant that the coach would have to be tilted or so far off from level that it would be very obvious looking at it. It would be much different if we were only talking about a ten gallon or so discrepancy. I'm confident the jacks auto-level the coach properly.
Additionally, regarding Winnebago's deal about custom fit tanks, I can see a LOT of spare space around my tanks. I can't tell which is which looking at them but all have very thick foam pieces under them with significantly more space available above and to the sides. They don't look very custom fit to me.
I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and talk to the service manager to schedule an appointment to bring it in and I want them to show me that the tank will actually hold 59 gal. Then, I'm going to watch them scratching their heads wondering what to do about it.