Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Newbie needs your wisdom! Jour Ex 34Y

Hi!

This is my first post, so please let me know if I posted correctly. My husband and I are first timers in the RV world. We found a very well maintained 2011 Winnebago Journey 34Y. Before we commit to purchasing this RV, does anyone have experience or advice about this make and model? We were wondering about the handling, performance, and any issues this model may have. Our plan is to make short trips within our State of Florida until WE are “broken” into the RV lifestyle and then traveling across country. I would appreciate an advice you have for us. Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom!
Old 07-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:

It's a bit overwhelming jumping in with diesel and the 'giant' size thing, but you'll get comfortable quickly. Good luck and enjoy your time on the road and the campgrounds you visit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyers View Post
Hi!

This is my first post, so please let me know if I posted correctly. My husband and I are first timers in the RV world. We found a very well maintained 2011 Winnebago Journey 34Y. Before we commit to purchasing this RV, does anyone have experience or advice about this make and model? We were wondering about the handling, performance, and any issues this model may have. Our plan is to make short trips within our State of Florida until WE are “broken” into the RV lifestyle and then traveling across country. I would appreciate an advice you have for us. Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom!
We just bought the same exact coach this January! We have been camping weekends in Wisconsin since April, and a round trip to Montana at the end of May. I have to tell you that we love it, it is perfect for us. It handles great, we get 8.5 mpg, we can use it with the slides closed for rest stop and Walmart layovers, generator is great, 2 AC units, very nice shower, fantastic floor plan, I could go on and on. If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a message, would be happy to answer any questions 😀
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you!

Hi!

Thank you so much for your quick reply and encouragement! We are so excited about starting to enjoy the RV lifestyle. We went to Lazy Days RV in Tampa, and had a wonderful experience. Our Salesman, Daniel Stickney, was so knowledgeable and professional! I walked into the Journey Express and immediately fell in love!

It has everything we were looking for. It is great to get an endorsement from an experienced RV'er. I look forward to the time that I will be able to help a newbie!

I wish you both continued happy adventures!!
Diane and Jerry
Old 07-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the RV family. Enjoy the comradery that abounds in the RV world.

Wave as you drive by or pull into the campground. We will recognize you by the big smiles.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:57 AM   #6
aa1ssradio

We have close to the same model. Ours is the 34B and we love it. Ours is a 2013. We purchased it used and the only issue we ever had with it was a bad A/C control module. Dealer fixed for us when we purchased it.

If you purchase it make sure the tires are new. If not get a set of NEW tires worked into the deal. If they are the 2011 tires they are at their age where they need to be replaced and that can be $2500 to $5000 depending on tires purchased.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

With a 2011 unit the chassis is likely to be a 2010, so look at the tire dates they're likely to be 2010 also which puts them at 6 years old now. Tires can be a big $ if you replace all 6 at the same time. If the tire do not exhibit any sings of cracking and have good tread you might want to replace the front 2 now and then the rears next year to help cut down the $.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyers View Post
Hi!

Thank you so much for your quick reply and encouragement! We are so excited about starting to enjoy the RV lifestyle. We went to Lazy Days RV in Tampa, and had a wonderful experience. Our Salesman, Daniel Stickney, was so knowledgeable and professional! I walked into the Journey Express and immediately fell in love!

It has everything we were looking for. It is great to get an endorsement from an experienced RV'er. I look forward to the time that I will be able to help a newbie!

I wish you both continued happy adventures!!
Diane and Jerry
Well, we have a little experience, but there are many on this forum that have substantially more. I learned so much from these people, I made sure to give back by supporting IRV2, and to try an answer any questions I am able to.

I agree with the other posters about checking the tires. Ours had a 2010 date code, but we are waiting to replace them next year since they show no sidewall cracking and the previous owner lived up here in WI and kept it indoors during winter (if the coach you're looking at was stored outside in the south, you may very well need to replace the tires now). The only other problems we had were a problem with the FWS rear motor, which the Winnebago dealer in Rockford replaced under a good faith warranty (it was working fine when we bought it). The other kind of nagging problem we had and you may run into is with slow or incomplete retraction of the leveling jacks. The previous owner had the springs replaced, but I have had to pry up one of the jacks on two occasions, even after lubricating by the dealer and myself on separate occasions. Word of advice, always carry at least a 4' 2x4 or a steel pry bar so you don't have to find a big enough branch in the woods . Other than that, both my wife and I really enjoy driving it, and hope to spend a lot more time traveling when we retire in a few years.

If you do decide to purchase this coach, come prepared with a detailed list of things to check at the PDI. Besides all the obvious stuff you will find on a quick search here, for this model coach, be sure to check the seam / junction of the fiberglass roof and the sidewalls. Our dealer had me climb up and look so I would know what to look for if the sealant begins to separate along the perimeter. Keep that caulked as well as check all roof penetrations. You will find detailed callout specs for the caulk in the manuals.

We sure hope this works out for you, please keep us posted on your progress!
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
With a 2011 unit the chassis is likely to be a 2010, so look at the tire dates they're likely to be 2010 also which puts them at 6 years old now. Tires can be a big $ if you replace all 6 at the same time. If the tire do not exhibit any sings of cracking and have good tread you might want to replace the front 2 now and then the rears next year to help cut down the $.
We purchased a 2011 Itasca Meridian 34y in April 2016. Essentially the same coach. We love it, it's everything we wanted in a DP. Great size, wonderful driving experience and great floor plan. But I definitely agree with Lindy, check your tires. I wish I had. Unfortunately, I trusted our salesman when he told me the tires were new. The DOT codes all faced in and I didn't climb underneath to check. They were all 2010 codes. I questioned our dealer about the inaccurate info on the tires, but since the sale was already complete they refused to do anything about the tires. The salesman told me he could only go on the info given by the previous owner. The only thing they did "give" us was a protective sealant on the exterior of the coach. I have since replaced the front two tires at a cost of $1400 and will replace the rear four this fall. It was definitely a lesson learned, check out everything and never trust the salesman.
Newbie31ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We have the 2010 model that is the big brother to the 34Y. As far as the model and equipment installed, it is the same as yours, just a little bigger. We have been full-timing for over 6 years, and found this model to be perfect for us. We have driven all over the country, all sorts of weather, hot, cold, rainy, windy, and stormy. Still clicking along fine.

Yes, there are little things that wear out, need adjusting, or tightening from time to time. But you can find many little parts, and sometimes big parts on Amazon, and if you are the least bit handy, can fix most yourself. And as you travel, there are always mobile RV Technicians that can help if you need it. The 34Y model was our first choice, but we needed a bit more room with our 39n model. Good Luck.

Tags