Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi all
Im the proud new owner of a 04 Journey 39k. I will be taking delivery of it on 11/23 from De Martini Rv in Grass Valley Ca. It has 34000 miles on it. Its in great shape.Looking forward to pending lots of time out touring The Great Ol U.S. of A.!!!

Im used to towing a 33' 5th wheel toy hauler so hopefully it wont be that much of a learning curve.

The only thing I need to do is replace one of the bedroom windows because it has moisture in it really bad.

I have to change the shower fixture. Its gross and soap scummed up.

I want to remove the TVs in the bedroom and up front and replace with a flat screen somehow.

My wife wants a stove with a oven so that is getting replaced.

Im removing everything that is gold and replacing it with oiled brass. Cabinet knobs, lights, fixtures.

I want a nice navigation system.

Cant wait to go camping!!
the4js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Congrats...keep posting here and asking your questions. Sounds like your on your way to making a great RV even better.
Happy trails....
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4js View Post
Hi all
Im the proud new owner of a 04 Journey 39k. I will be taking delivery of it on 11/23 from De Martini Rv in Grass Valley Ca. It has 34000 miles on it. Its in great shape.Looking forward to pending lots of time out touring The Great Ol U.S. of A.!!!

Im used to towing a 33' 5th wheel toy hauler so hopefully it wont be that much of a learning curve.

The only thing I need to do is replace one of the bedroom windows because it has moisture in it really bad.

I have to change the shower fixture. Its gross and soap scummed up.

I want to remove the TVs in the bedroom and up front and replace with a flat screen somehow.

My wife wants a stove with a oven so that is getting replaced.

Im removing everything that is gold and replacing it with oiled brass. Cabinet knobs, lights, fixtures.

I want a nice navigation system.

Cant wait to go camping!!

Welcome!

All of the topics you mention have been discussed here at length, many with step-by-step photos and instructions! Use the search function and read about them. You'll get some great ideas and maybe avoid some common pitfalls. Post your progress and ask lots of questions (we love that!)
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hi The4Js and WELCOME!!

Your new coach sounds like it has a good home

For your shower, have you ever tried an Oxygenics shower head? I love them and have two- one for the MH and one for the Stix n' Brix. In the MH it is a real water saver. I can't believe how many more showers that I get using it. Here is a thread on it: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/oxyge...ead-40782.html

If you go that route, pick up (at Home Depot or Lowe's) an open/shut valve to put on it (for the MH, I don't use one in the house). You want to be able to shut off the water flow when you're soaping up, etc.

After you get her, please post pictures. We all love looking at those. Kind of a virtual 'camp walking' (when you go around a campground looking at everyone's RV's).

Sheila
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum

We have a 2004 39W Journey ... my biggest hurdle in learning to drive was remembering that I was sitting in front of the front axle ... I kept turning too soon and running over curbs ... uffda ... I have finally learned not to turn until I am sitting in the lane I want to turn into ...

You will enjoy your Journey ... it is a good machine
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Great news, 4Js. There are a couple of us 39K owners as forum members. Both myself and 1ciderdog have an 04 39K. 1ciderdog and I are both tinkerers and do-it-yourself maintenace guys whenever possible so between the two of us we have made many chassis/coach improvements, modifications and performed most of the maintenance ourselves. I have changed out the hunker TV in the bedroom with a small flatscreen, but not the front (yet). Many others have done the front TV and you can search the forum for comments and pics.

You will like your 39K, it is very roomy with those opposing slides in the front. This model is the first year they made them, so you won't find it on the W. website in the archives brochures. The 04 brocuhres were already printed up when this model came to be.

We have had ours since May 10, it has 9200 mi. on it. Has performed well; the coach has some common issues for that model, but nothing that can't be overcome. Chances are one of us has had whatever problem you may encounter and the other W. Journey models are similar in many ways as far as the systems go. Do not hesitate to ask any of us any questions; I have found this forum to be a godsend for help and ideas. Good luck and enjoy, sir!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The4Js - Congrats on the new rig. We bought our 2004 39K in March last year and it had about 32K miles on it. We now have over 64K on it and we have very much enjoyed this motorhome. If you have any questions about it don't hesitate to ask. I've noticed at least six signatures that have 39Ks so you should be able to get a good response even if it relates to a specific 39K problem. Are you familiar with keeping the rear radiator clean? A notorius problem on these freighliner pushers.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

:welcome: Glad you joined us and congrats on the new to you rig. Do post some pics down the road and keep us informed on the progress of your planned re-do. If you have questions, make sure you ask them here as someone is always willing and able to help with answers. Enjoy your travels, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Im wanting to change the cooktop to one with a oven. Might change out the fridge to a double door as well. Have you guys done any of these? Oh and the bedroom tv is outa there! A flat screen is in order for the bedroom and the front.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Picked up a set of Nathan Airchime Train Horns. Gotta figure out hoew to install those babies. They are LOUD and sound just like a train.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Today is your day, 4js. We will be heading up to Reno today in ours, perhaps we will see you on I-80 just out for a cruise with a big ole grin from ear to ear. have fun!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE My wife wants a stove with a oven so that is getting replaced. QUOTE]
4js,
Just my 2 cents worth, but if your Journey has a microwave/convection oven, I say this.... My wife loves the microwave convection oven, it works every bit as well as a regular oven. We also like the additional storage in the tree drawers where the gas oven is not!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Well got her home. This is a very nice rig. Im just doing a few personal touch things and all will be good. i have a very anoying squeek around the door area. Im thinking its the awning. Anyone know the secret code for the info gadjet on the dash? Id like to see the fault codes and the service function.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

When we got our Adventurer 38g last spring, it had every thing we wanted except an oven. After looking at ranges and loosing the storage space, we finally decided on a Camp Chef Oven with Grill, we got it on Amazon for $229. This gives us the oven and grill with burner for outdoor use when set up for extended periods or when doing group cookouts. When we do WIT campouts, keeping food warm is always an issue. With this we can cook on the grill and burner and keep warm in the oven. When camping in warm weather it also keeps the heat outside when baking.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Try 8127 as the password for the Freightliner Info Center.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:45 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Try 8127 as the password for the Freightliner Info Center.

Thanks will do.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Welcome and congrats on the RV...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags