Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
Peaceful Explorer

New to us 2003 Itasca Sunrise 36M (Ford)

Hello,

After renting class C's for our summer adventures and three long years of actively shopping, we finally bought a "new to us" 2003 Itasca Sunrise 36M (Ford). We picked it up Saturday morning and spent Saturday night in it for the first time!

We have several trips planned for the summer, including the Finger Lakes Wine Festival in July. This will be our sixth year there, but the first time with our very own motor home instead of an expensive rental. If you are attending the 2018 FLWF, please let us know, we are in the "F" loop.

I'm an old electronics engineer now working at a desk job, so I have lots of tinkering ideas about upgrading the AV entertainment systems, adding solar panels, upgrading the backup camera, etc. I look forward to learning from what others are doing with theirs and rolling up my sleeves!

Rand & Eliza
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	169363  
RzRzRzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Rand. I am also new, about a few weeks. We've never rented, etc.. so even more new than youses. What peaked my interest was your mention of a backup camera; I have a 2002 Sightseer with a B/W CRT backup cam - that displays lines quite well.

My rig is over at my local electronics installer getting an eRapta 7" color cam off Amazon installed. He is fairly confident that the 2002 buried cable will adapt to 2018 technology. He's also installing some emergency vehicle stop lamps up quite high as my taillights are too low/dim to my mind along with some amidships yellow, LED markers in case the person in the next lane cannot read my mind. The other side markers are also being switched out to LEDs. (at 2-for-$12 on Ebay - silly not to)

I know what you mean about rolling up the sleeves. 80% of the reason to buy something is to have a new series of projects!

Good luck with it.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
Peaceful Explorer

Hi Jim,

Congrats on the new rig (and project)!

The B/W Sony camera/crt monitor in ours actually works quite well after some adjustments to the contracts and brightness. What I really like about it is the clarity of the sound, so if someone is back there giving directions they are clear as can be in the cab. My replacement camera system will have to meet or exceed that feature, so I'm still looking for the "center" camera/monitor replacement.

In addition, I'm looking at a four camera setup (each corner) using four Pyle PLCMRV9W cameras, a Pyle PLCMDVR15 digital video recorder, and a Pyle PLVWR1440 14" monitor mounted above the driver seat. I want to know exactly where I'm going!

I'm interested in which LED lamp replacements you are using and how satisfied you are with them. I've gone through a dozen different brands of LED lamps for my house before I was satisfied. I actually just brought in a couple of lamps to cross-check for LED replacements. Oh, wait . . . maybe I should search this forum about that topic too!

Our first night out, I fiddled with the video entertainment just enough to realize some other components were in there and removed. Nothing was actually hooked up, but all the original components are there. I was able to rig a Roku 1 to an RF modulator and using my travel hotspot we were able to watch a movie. The 3:4 CRT monitor was annoying since we are used to a 70" 4K Ultra HD screen in our media room. Those CRTs have to go!

- Rand
RzRzRzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm looking forward to your electronic mods and upgrades. As a Ham, I dabble in it but it will be nice to have a real engineer's input. I have a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U that I've been working on since November. My solar panels (2 x 180w) arrived yesterday, but my new flooring install comes first.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the Winnebago family. Ours is an 02 and we have had it for many years now. One of the nice things about Winnebago is the availability of parts. We have upgraded our TVs to flat screens, a Wineguard Traveler Satellite antennae, and done a lot of maintenance to keep ours in tip top shape.

She may be old but she snorts along pretty good. Just got back from a five week 3000 mile trip with no problems.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Consider joining the WIT club, (Winnebago Itasca Travelers). Then attend the Grand National Rally in Forest City, Ia. in July. You will see many other Winne travelers who have upgraded along with lots of music and fun.

WIT Club Grand National Rally - Overview | Winnebago International Travelers

We go every year and take the Grandkids too.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, itasca