Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile New to RVing

We have not actually purchased our RV yet but know the Minnie Winnie is the one we want. It will be myself, my best friend, (who is more like a sister) and her daughter, who is 11. We will also have our two cats and our corn snake on this journey. We are going through the process of downsizing and she is in process of completing a work contract. We plan to move and purchase our home in two years, maybe less. We are very excited about this change in life and meeting new people.
RaeAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Question: Are you planning to use the Minnie as a tiny home or as a RV. The setup is different depending upon planned use.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

New to RVing

Yes. We will be using this as our home and traveling full time. What will be different about the set up?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hello and welcome. You have come to the right place for info on RVing. The Minnie is a great RV, but take your time to learn as much as you can about available models. Look for OCCC (carrying capacity) and storage availability since you will want to safely carry all your gear without being overloaded.

Since you have not RV'd previously, I'd also like to suggest that you rent an RV for a week or so and get the feel of it before you take the leap into full timing. Sometimes the romanticized idea of something does not align with reality. Good luck to you.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If you are planning to go from one camp site to another with full service, your rig is set up as is to do that already. Just load your personal stuff and enjoy. Issues like power come up if you do not have a place to plug in every day.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the suggestions. We have looked at many RV's, different styles and brands. With this research, we decided on the Minnie Winnie 31G. It offers the most possibilities for our family. We had considered renting at first but have decided that this is the life we want and do not want to second guess our decision. We realize that it will take a bit of time to adjust but have the confidence to move ahead with our plans. Our biggest issue is downsizing what we have at this time. We currently live in a three bedroom apartment and downsized into it so the next downsize will be to the RV.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We are starting out with RV parks and state parks but may move into doing some boondocking after we have our 'feet wet' and are more confident in what we are doing.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

new or new to you (used). Do you plan to tow a second vehicle or a small cargo trailer? The 31G gives you a lot of options.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:22 PM   #9

If you are looking at a travel trailer, tell us about your tow vehicle. If a motorhome, are you planning to tow a car?
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You and your friend may have given this a lot of thought but what about the soon to be teenager in your life? What about finances? Travelling in an RV and keeping up with the related expenses is not a money saving venture. You may not want to second guess your decision but you should. If you have the money and can easily afford to reverse your plans after a couple of months on the road, then throw all caution to the wind. Otherwise, I strongly suggest taking smaller steps. Save the full time component until you are empty nesters and do shorter family adventures in a rental or a unit you can afford without giving up the family home.
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #11

Now, now, Donstar. This is an RV forum not a "what's best for a soon to be teenager." BUT I'll join you. Kids need a home that is not on wheels...and a permanent school situation. Go RVing when they are 18.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I appreciate the information and suggestions. Yes, we plan to tow a vehicle, still deciding what we would like to tow. My friend's daughter is 11, will be 13 when we start and while it would be a different life traveling full time she is just as excited at the prospect. She has Aspergers and does not do well in social situations. She has had trouble with bullies in school to the point that she would throw up every morning and we had to give her a daily Zantac. We plan to homeschool her while we travel, even getting an online tutor so she can continue her Viola lessons. We have seen several people homeschool and travel full time and have given this considerable thought and research. We also plan to work online in order to fund our travels and her schooling.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #13

“We also plan to work online in order to fund our travels and her schooling.”

Are you funding your lifestyle now with online work? While working online is possible without hookups, it requires enough batteries and a way to charge them. Probably a combination of generator and solar. Expensive and requires lots of study for an adequate system.

My experience shows many kids are excited at the prospect of not having to go to formal school five days a week from 8 or so to 2 or 3 pm.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We are building the online income now so it will be fully in place when we start traveling in two years. My friend is under a two year contract with the local college , which just started this summer.
Yes. Some children enjoy the thought of not going to school all day but she enjoys school and learning. We are also taking into consideration the state of school curriculum , safety and her health.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #15

Local colleges out here, as in community colleges, have great retirement pensions and benefits while private colleges have good 401k plans. Is your partner willing to leave all that? Interesting.

A child with special needs that loves school and learning, take her out of formal school? Not my belief.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

To Larry from the Mother

Hello,

I appreciate your advice and concerns. I am “the friend” and mother of the child in question. I am also quite well prepared to handle her academic needs. I am a fully licensed teacher with a Masters of education in curriculum development and instruction with a focus on STEAM (that’s short for science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics) taught as a trandisciplinary approach to learning. What my daughter enjoys is learning and doing so in an environment in which she feels safe and in control, as well as supported.

I am, and will always be, her biggest advocate. I will do whatever I need to do to support her, whether that is moving across the country or across the globe. Raising a child on the autism spectrum is not an easy task. However, one of the greatest factors to successfully helping your ASD child learn proper coping and social skills is through controlling their environment and helping them learn how to control it. This is an opportunity to do just that.

We do not enter this venture blindly. Research, planning, faith, and a great deal of soul searching goes into all we do. I am also not romanticizing the idea of RV living, having spent some time as a child living in an RV.

I believe, in this case, I will leave you with an adage I have taught my autistic daughter, and she has learned and lived by beautifully for years now. You should never judge another by her journey because you do not know the struggles she underwent to get where she is.
Khrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Local colleges out here, as in community colleges, have great retirement pensions and benefits while private colleges have good 401k plans. Is your partner willing to leave all that? Interesting.

A child with special needs that loves school and learning, take her out of formal school? Not my belief.

Let's make newbies welcome by keeping to RV discussions. Thanks.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

« rjbech | Newbee »