Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to RVing

I just bought a 1990 sunflyer 32ft but don't really know how to work anything.Need help with shore power hookups I am using it as an extra room right now I have it hooked up to the power at my brother's house but none of the 12 volt things inside will work. the refrigerator, the main lights, etc. Is there a switch I didn't turn or something? I also need help figuring out if the lp tank is good it has rust on the outside but looks ok other than that. any help is greatly appreciated.
jamie rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

First, welcome to to IRV2 and congrats on your new rv. Lots to learn, we all have been there and you've come to the right place. Check your house battery and make sure it is connected and charged, then main 12 volt fuse and converter. As for the propane tank, a date is stamped on the tank on the top flange by the valve. If it is more than 10 years old then you need to have it re certified or buy a new one.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

There's a wealth of information on here and on some popular blogs. Get ready to drink from the firehose! Not meant to frighten - it IS a lot, but it's invigorating.

As a fellow newbie and one inclined to talk about it, I invite you to come learn along with me. Maybe I can help in some small way!

Learning, learning, and more learning! | Outlaw Pilots

And, of course, :welcome:

Anthony
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

jamie rose, try cycling the Battery Disconnect switch, it is located on the left side of the dash.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Here's a link to Winnebago's site where you can download an owners manual for your coach.

Winnebago Industries Operator Manuals

THat link is to generic owners manual. But this link will get you to an owners manual for a 1992 Sunflyer which might be relevant.

Winnebago Industries Operator Manuals
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie rose View Post
I just bought a 1990 sunflyer 32ft but don't really know how to work anything.Need help with shore power hookups I am using it as an extra room right now I have it hooked up to the power at my brother's house but none of the 12 volt things inside will work. the refrigerator, the main lights, etc. Is there a switch I didn't turn or something? I also need help figuring out if the lp tank is good it has rust on the outside but looks ok other than that. any help is greatly appreciated.
:welcome:

WoW. A vintage owner. Way to go.

One thing to be aware of is the LP regulator. It is not uncommon for this to fail but replacing it is not hard if you are a bit handy with tools. The tank is most likely good. Clean it up and paint it with a good primer and exterior enamel.

If you don't have a volt meter it would be a good tool to get. Measure the voltage on the batteries. If it is under 9V when not charging your batteries could be damaged. Keeping them topped correctly with water is essential. Many of us use mineral oil in the battery after it is correctly watered. It only takes about an oz per cell and helps to reduce corrosion on the terminals and connections. These need to be clean and tight at all times. Even the chassis grounds need to be removed from time to time and cleaned.

Summer is on the way. Hope you have fun in your new to you rig.

Rick Y
Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

just wanted to say thanks for all the help been to cold to work on it yet but I'm really excited! This has to be the best bunch of folks I've talked to about this so far. Thank you all for being so friendly and helpful
jamie rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Welcome Jamie!

We got into RVing back in 06 and have never looked back. Bought an old MH, got it in journey shape and headed from FL to CA. Loved the experience, made bonehead mistakes but learned by them, and are still enjoying the lifestyle today. As we speak we are camping in a beautiul campground in Cedar Key FL. Study your vehicle, join a local RV club, ask a lot of questions, attend seminars, and be a conservative driver.

Some of the best people are RVers and will extend their help to you. Be safe and may the angels guide your wheels.

Phil

Tags
rving