Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New RVer

Hey everyone, new to the RV world. Just purchased a 2010 Winn Adventurer 35z... and I am totally in the dark with most systems. I have two young kids who are anxious to get camping, but currently still learning everything. Here to soak up some knowledge.
CJducks80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wow! That is an awesome "starter" RV! Congratulations! You will find some very helpful members on this forum. Do you have some specific questions? My suggestion is to plan a few short 2 or 3 day trips close to home. You will quickly discover what you need to know for next time!
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. We are very excited. Wasn't planning on going that big, but got a deal we couldn't pass. Taking it for our first overnight tonight, only about 20 minutes from the house. Ha. Hoping to learn a lot.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you don't have much experience with a big rig: When you're driving, do what other big rigs do. Turn wide, step on your brakes early when you see brake lights in the distance, try to slow to a stop, not stomp on your brakes, remember you're a bus now.

RV refers (the absorption kind) take 24 hours to cool down. You can hurry that along by putting bags of ice in both compartments.

Buy road side assistance insurance. I'd recommend Coachnet as they have techs to help over the phone. Make sure your tires are up to pressure based on weight not the chart inside the RV...that was for the day it was driven off the manufacturers lot.

Take only what you think you need. Keep a list of stuff you'll take the next trip.

Whenever you turn into or onto a new area LOOK UP! Scraping the AC off the roof isn't fun. Practice parking in empty parking lots. When you get to an RV park, ask for help getting into your spot. Try to practice getting into fuel stations when there's no traffic. Go to truck stops for fuel until you feel comfortable driving that big rig.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJducks80 View Post
Thanks. We are very excited. Wasn't planning on going that big, but got a deal we couldn't pass. Taking it for our first overnight tonight, only about 20 minutes from the house. Ha. Hoping to learn a lot.
Welcome to the forum. Here's some basic driving safety tips for newbies that have never driven a 35' RV before.

1. Make wide turns to the right, and also left. It's easy to forget you're 35' long, and with such a long wheelbase you can mistakenly run over a curb, or worst brush a pole, or hit a big decorative rock with your motorized steps in a campground.
2. You are almost 12' high, this will not fit under some gas station covers, especially the older ones out in the country. Also, even if the pump island cover is high enough, the office roof overhangs can be too low when negotiating around the corner of the building, even with new stations.
3. When parking along the curb, tree limbs will OFTEN stick out past the curb lower than 12' high that will damage the top right corner of your RV. Be careful in small towns that often have these.
4. As additional insurance to mitigate risk, have the DW be outside the RV instructing you to negotiate tight quarters when entering or leaving a campground, or any other areas that are tight. Just use your cellphones and put yours on speakerphone and have her constantly talk to you about clearances. When the phone is silent, assume she's not looking at the RV, so STOP the RV until she talks. Constant input is helpful to know you have the DWs full visual focus for guidance to safety, and not distracted with a cute little dog running around.
5. If you are the type to schedule things, give yourself enough time so you're never in a hurry. Driving an RV in a hurry is a recipe for accidents.
6. Make sure your side view mirrors are optimal, and your backup camera is working. Vision is everything! While stationary, test your vision capabilities to know and know your blind spots, if any. Have your DW walk around the RV to see if she can "not be seen" in areas around the RV. This will help you develop your SOP for leaning forward or backward while looking at the side view mirrors.
7. The rear overhang on a 35' RV is long. When you turn left, the rear can swing to the right 3 or 4' depending how sharp you're turning. Avoid sharp turns unless you're absolutely sure you have adequate clearance on the opposite side of the direction you're turning.

I've had many friends make mistakes as newbies driving RVs. Most accidents happen when going slow, less than 5mph. Even my dad experienced #3 above when I was 10yrs old. I experienced #2 and bent my rear roof ladder at a gas station.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Take ONLY what you need to survive!
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone. All great advice.