Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Minnie 2106DS owners

Good morning fellow Winnebago owners. My wife and I have just upgraded from an ALiner Expedition to a Micro Minnie 2106DS and are thrilled with it. Can't wait to go camping. First we have to upgrade to a more capable tow vehicle. We are negotiating on a Subaru Ascent, which we are assured will handle the 4500# max of the camper. We would love to hear from anyone who tows with an Ascent.
Cheers,
Ranald
Ranald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
PIC
Winnebago Owner

I wouldn't do that. I pull our 2106FBS with a Tundra 5.7ltr and get very reasonable mileage. It's a great towing vehicle and it handles so well (with a weight distribution system) it's like there isn't anything attached back there. If your going to do any kind of touring i.e. distance, rough terrain, hills, mountains, you should consider a stronger towing vehicle. While the Ascent might get you through on local trips any more demands on it will just put more strain on the Ascent and potentially give you problems with that SUV. It's just asking for problems PAT
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Pat. Thanks for your note. We wended up not getting the Subaru, but instead getting a 2019 Toyota Highlander. rated to tow 5000# and 500# Tongue weight so well withing what the 2106 should weigh with our usual load of stuff.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:42 AM   #4
PIC
Winnebago Owner

I feel better with the Toyota than the Subaru. Have you looked at a hitch weight distribution system? I highly recommend them. With one you'll have a much safer and comfortable towing experience. As they say "don't leave home without it" Keep in mind your trailer comes with a dry weight of 3,700 lbs. It won't take much to reach that Toyota's 5000 lb limit. Gas weighs 6.3lb per gallon, 25 gal =157 lbs. Water comes in at 8.3lb per gallon, 80 gal = 664 lbs, etc. So travel light and have fun!
Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yep, we are feeling better about the Toyota than the Subaru. Your point is well taken about loading though. We are moving up from a 2008 Aliner Expedition that weighed 2100# and which we towed with a 2.5L Forester. We always felt that it was a bit on the heavy side for the car, but it did very well and we became adept at traveling lightly. We don't carry water with us, so that reduces a lot of weight, and have learned to economize elsewhere too. The main thing we have learnt is not to be in a hurry and to keep the car in top notch condition. Looks like this weekend may bee fine ish so we are heading out for our shake down cruise, so to speak.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We are about to be owners also of the DS 2019. Was not interested in a Murphy bed, but after seeing how nice it folds up, and having 2 sofas is cool. Planned to buy the 2106fBS but got a great offer $19k on it today. Can everyone see the TV good from the bed? Or did u add one to the bedroom area? Cant wait to get it.
PattyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Bet you could, if you stress you prefer the FBS, get it for the same price. Other than the Murphy bed it's the same thing. We also considered the DS but in the end we opted for the fixed floor plan as I'm not one who likes to move something from place A to place C just to get something out of the place B. I also think in time the FBS mattress might be more comfortable. Also, in the FBS you really get a lot of storage under the foot of the bed which is lost in the DS. In either case both are great units. Ours has held up very well in year 1 and hoping for a repeat performance this year too
Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I agree with you, its almost a deal breaker on it now, i just read its only full size bed, we have 5 dogs!!! OMG I might change my plans.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #9
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Yhea, there aren't many queen and forget king size beds in units of these sizes. 5 dogs,Wow! Be careful as many campgrounds limit pets to Two.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We do good with the dogs, most time we just call ahead and always get permission at those type campgrounds. Its 4 yorkies and a Lab