Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Member Needs Help on Slide Out Issues

Hello.... I am new to this forum and not sure where to begin to look for my slide out issues....

We have a 2005 Vectra, Winnebago and on the drivers side the slide out extends out and drops down. The issue we are having is when we go to put it in there is not enough power to pull it up and back in. We have had it in the shop 2 times this year. They claim that the compartments will hold 300# and I've weighed everything and it's about 250#. This is giving me fits. Is there a larger, more powerful hydraulic pump or system that can replace the original one or is there something else that can be done other than just taking everything out of the compartments and loosing all that storage space?
snowbirdnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Yes, there are replacements, but I am no expert. Try googling or type into irv2 search box, 'better slide motor' and you will find previous posts here about it. Good luck!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Welcome to the forum.

There are some sections on here that would apply to your issue. I suggest to start with the Winnebago section first.

Good luck,

Rich

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:
Good luck with a solution.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Are you running the engine when operating the slideout? If not, I would recommend that you do so--this will provide a higher voltage to the hydraulic pump and the system will be much happier. The pump should be able to move your slide without a problem.

Which model of the Vectra do you have?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Things to Consider:
• Is the motorhome level? When breaking camp, bring the slides in before storing the jacks.
• Is engine running? Is it running at fast idle?
• What condition are the chassis batteries? Weak batteries will make a difference. Never move the slides without well-charged chassis batteries.
• Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level? Don’t let low fluid allow air to get into the lines.
• Are you bringing in the largest slide first? Move the smaller slides last.

Hope this helps! And WELCOME to the forum!

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum! We're sure glad you joined the gang here!

Hope you find the answer to your problem. Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago is always very helpful; call them!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbirdnw View Post
Hello.... I am new to this forum and not sure where to begin to look for my slide out issues....

We have a 2005 Vectra, Winnebago and on the drivers side the slide out extends out and drops down. The issue we are having is when we go to put it in there is not enough power to pull it up and back in. We have had it in the shop 2 times this year. They claim that the compartments will hold 300# and I've weighed everything and it's about 250#. This is giving me fits. Is there a larger, more powerful hydraulic pump or system that can replace the original one or is there something else that can be done other than just taking everything out of the compartments and loosing all that storage space?

Hi
Sorry you are having this problem.
With the slide out in looking at the out side trim at the bottom of the slide, does it match the rest of the trim at the front and rear? If it does not, there is a good chance I can tell you how to fix your problem.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:

:welcome:
Tough start to your entry into the irv2 forum.

I had a '05 Vectra. We had the same issue from time to time. One problem was the slide pads were worn. The other was too much weight. One way we got the slide to come in was to drop the right side some. This gave the left side a bit of a down hill kick. Don't forget, when you are counting weight you have to consider the cabinets, etc. Another help is to unload the heaviest stuff before closing. Sometimes just 20# will do the trick.

Things to inspect: take a good look at the ram trays. Those are the things that the rams lay in. Do they all have the same shape? If one looks different there is a good chance it is damaged and needs to be replaced. Check the bolts that the basement compartments hang from. These are known to break. Check the pads where the slide rides in. They should be all about the same shape and thickness. And, as Jesse suggested, make certain the engine is running.

If I recall correctly the slides are to be out before leveling with that coach and the jacks up before closing. I violated this rule when I used the jacks to tip the coach to the right a bit to close the slide.

Make and appointment with the fine folks at Winnebago in Forest City, IA. They will go through the slide systems fixing and adjusting till everything is correct. Wait till spring though. Too cold now .

One last thought. Follow the instructions in the manual about checking the HWH reservoir level. If I recall correctly one of the slides was to be extended. That was for the 40FD. I don't know your floor plan.

Hope all of us are helping in some manner.

Happy trails.
Rick
Old 12-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Slide issue

We just had the coach 40AD to the plant and they installed new pads and did all the adjusting. When we left, the next day, the slide barely came in but that was the norm so I thought it was ok. Next stop and went to leave and I had to go out and rock the coach for the slide to get 'over the hump' and then it went in fine. It's been hit or miss ever since and that's only a couple months and a few times with the slide out. Fluid is fine and we're going to get the couch out of here and bring in a couple of lazy boy's and then clear out everything that's heavy in the compartments. I know after getting it worked on before the Winnebago plant (up in Washington state where they didn't know how to ship the pads properly) it worked ok for a few times but still was a bit slow on the 'hump'. I think at this point, everything out of the compartments will do the trick as that seems to be the only option. Sad for sure as we live here and need the storage space. I had hoped that an increased pump or some other trick would do. I see that there are two opinions of retracting the slide. One is with the jacks up and the other with them down. If they're down and the engine is started, then the air bags fill up and the coach can become un-level as did happen already. With the engine running, and even increasing the rpm's it didn't really help getting it over that hump so I'm figuring the weight is the issue. The designers don't live in these things or they might have discovered this problem.
At the factory, I'd have to say that 75% of those in there we in there for slide issues among other things. Very sad commentary on Winnebago. When I had it in the shop in Washington state, there was another one in there of same year with the same problem, slide was pushing the outer wall out along with the inner wall allowing the ceiling to drop down. I told the factory about that and showed them and they didn't even know what that was all about.
I'll keep a look out for more posts, thanks for all the help.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

PS

I forgot to add that I'll have to get the batteries checked but they do start the engine fine and the other slides come in and out quickly without a problem. It's that darn drop and the hump to get back in that's the main problem.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

PPS

Just another comment on the slide issue. I talked to the "one" guy that is the "expert" on the slides at the factory. He and the other mechanics tell me that if we have problems to take it to a Winnebago dealer. I asked how I could do that if he's the only one with the expertise at the factory, what are the chances of having one of him at these other locations? He kind of looked at me with a shrug of the shoulders. I told him that they should all send their tech's to the factory and have him go through the steps to "tune the slides". I wonder what we'll all do when he retires? He's been there about 30 years!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

You know, sometimes it's the simple things that get you! For years now I've been "fighting" with my main slide, even replaced the controller and motor/gearbox (some $700 in parts). No change. Got to looking closer and it appears that when I first had the trouble the Newmar shop added plywood bracing and moved the rollers around. I found that one roller was going over a screw head so I took a tool and made a groove in the roller to miss the screw head. Still no resolution. Did some more looking and prying, it seems that the plywood bracing is hanging down enough to catch the carpeting. Now trying to find a way to reset the carpeting or bevel the edge of the bracing. Not easy to reach.
Just something to look into!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Check that the moving support rail is adjusted correctly. I just had to set one where the rail that holds the seal(which also supports the floor when out) was too low and allowing the floor to drop too far and cause the binding issue. Moved it up about 1/2" and all was well.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I know what you are going through. Total bummer. The basement on the slide coach is not a full-timers best choice unless you are willing to live very light.

If the factory go the slide to work with the stuff you have in it, it should still be working. Are you outside of the factory service warranty period yet? If not, go to a Winne dealer and have them work on it WITH the factory on the phone consulting. It should not cost you anything.

I don't know where in WA you went. I would recommend Henderson in Grants Pass, OR if you are still in the area. They are not an official Winne repair center but they might be in the position to be honored by Winne. Call then to find out.

I do not miss our '05 Vectra. Nothing about it was built for full-timing in my opinion. We could not dry camp at Walmart over night without running the generator most of the time. In '11 things changed. Before that, true, but with the addition of the residential refrigerator life became a real pleasure for us. We love this coach and it will probably be our last one. At this age I don't see the need to buy again. I think we can get 15 years out of it with some work. At 85 will I still want to be on the road? Don't know.

Happy trails.

Rick Y
Old 12-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:

Are you sure you're getting enough current to drive the pump? I always crank the coach engine to ensure that. Good luck
Steggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:04 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I echo the comments to ensure you have enough elecrical power flowing as possible. For example run the engine for a few minutes ahead of slide retraction and at a fast idle during slide retraction.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I purchased a new 2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37f and have had numerous problems with two of the slides. They were separating from the outside walls. After contacting Winnebago, they finally decided to repair them. It seems the earlier model 37Fs were not constructed as well. They had to completely rebuild them. Luckily for me they made the necessary repairs, even though the warranty was in question. One of the Hydraulic hydraulic lines burst and had to be replaced. The complete gear assembly in the rear king sized bed had to also be replaced. The extended warranty covered these two repairs. Moral of the story---always get an extended warranty even if the coach is new. My total costs was about four hundred dollars, mostly for deductibles.
Steggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new member, slide out, slide