Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New guy on the block

Thanks for allowing me to join, I Bought a 1989/90 33 RQ Chieftain back in the spring for $500 and the only things that need work are the house batteries need replacing and the rear universal joint is missing roller bearings so i'll just replace all of the joints for piece of mind. and either the engine vacuum system has leaks or the transmission may be shot. What i discovered was i needed to race the engine to get the MH forward or backwards at low speed. I replaced the fluid and filter and modulator valve and updated the rubber hosing to the lines and checked the hard lines for sediment and updated the engine replaceable parts/filters etc,. and then filled the tranny up with fluid and started the engine for about 5 minutes then shut it off and let it sit overnight then rechecked the level and topped it up a little more then restarted it again and dry run thru the gears and it pulled much stronger in first gear and reverse but still dragged a bit and never pulled strong. So basically what i'm saying is if the transmission is shot i'll just put it out in one of my campsites and block it up and rent it out in the summer. I live in such a remote area of Maine there aren't any mobile mechanics that are willing to drive the distance to my farm to go thru the whole engine and transmission so i can get a professional verdict. I Originally bought it to use as a bug out vehicle for me and my wife in case we have to travel north or south for emergency purposes but it may not work out. I Hear those long nose T-400's 475's are like hens teeth to find. If i can get it up and running easily i may repaint the whole thing with a more modern darker color and install 10 solar panels and more storage batteries. Merry Christmas All !
Madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! Wow, that’s a classic. Best of luck in getting it running well. Way beyond my mechanical abilities!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you
josephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Can someone tell me where to find all the fuses converter and inverter boxes on a 1999 when a bagel a Taska some flyers diesel
josephone is offline   Reply With Quote