Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I only learned about iRV2 yesterday 3/7/2007, when I came here to join a chat room.

I've owned a Journey 34H since May of 2004. It was our first ever RV, and we've had a great time travelilng in it. you can see our trip logs at Angeli Family Trip Log and Blog

Unfortunately it was in a fatal accident on January 29th this year. Fatal to the coach and to the person who hit it. We were unharmed.

Thanks to the fact that we have good insurance coverage, we should have a replacement Meridian 34H shortly.
Tuney-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I only learned about iRV2 yesterday 3/7/2007, when I came here to join a chat room.

I've owned a Journey 34H since May of 2004. It was our first ever RV, and we've had a great time travelilng in it. you can see our trip logs at Angeli Family Trip Log and Blog

Unfortunately it was in a fatal accident on January 29th this year. Fatal to the coach and to the person who hit it. We were unharmed.

Thanks to the fact that we have good insurance coverage, we should have a replacement Meridian 34H shortly.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Tuney-GA

Glad you were unharmed and welcome to the forum. You'll enjoy it. Great people with great info. Look forward to hearing about your new mh.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks bob

It's a great site. Don't know how I've missed it before now.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You'll probably discover this anyway but there is a chat room for Winnebago owners every Tuesday night at 9pm est. At the top of the thread Click on "GO" scroll to "Chat Rooms" and click on "Winnebago Chat". Anything from general discussion to mh specifics.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Tuney-GA
Very sorry to hear about your Motor Home and glad you all were not hurt. For the sake of learning and education purposes for myself and possibly some others here, would you care to share any thoughts that came out of this incident? I totally understand if it is to painful or you just don't want to discuss it. No problem. Sometimes good things can be learned from tragedies like this. I wish you the best of luck and enjoyed your blog. Take care and welcome.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We learned several things from this incident.

It's expensive but you need to provide good collision, uninsured motorist, and comprehensive coverage. Most regular motorists will not have enough liability coverage to fix major damage to your RV.

If you have significant assets, a $1,000,000 umbrella liability policy is relatively inexpensive way to protect them.

Insurance companies like to sell the 5 year full replacement policies but they don't like to pay on them. Persistence and good documentation are crucial to get a successful outcome.

In our case it could take up to 6 months to repair the damage to our Journey, and there's no guarantee that there isn't other serious internal damage to the engine and power train till the get it ready to drive again.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Tuney-GA
Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us. For me personally your comments are timeless as I am just in the process of re-doing our insurance policies for everything including the MH and will follow your lead. The replacement comment is really good information. Thanks again for sharing this. Take care and good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just some more information.
We were insured through the WIT club with Proggresive. We had a experience with our RV catching fire. the coach was outside the 5 model year replacement coverage, however, the company paid us what we had paid for the coach when we purchased it. However, nothing added to the coach such as Satelitte dish, window awnings and etc, were covered as I had not added them to the policy!

Good Luck
Old 03-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

More Learning...!

Everyone you deal with in settling a claim, has an agenda. Question everything, talk directly with the providers, not just the middle men.

For instance don't take the credit guy at the dealer's first deal, shop the banks.....